Homemade 35mm Adapter - Page 28 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old December 18th, 2003, 09:56 AM   #406
Inner Circle

A furthur idea on alternative groundglass material between disks, - I tried a small piece of translucent window material which had my new PIN number on it.

This stuff seems to work better than shop bag and might be sourced from a stationer or the manufacturers of the PIN number forms might be able to advise the source.

It may be a commonly available modern plastic based tracing paper. Placing between two clear disks to keep it in alignment might be an option.

I have also asked Chris to post a .jpg of a a relay adaptor for the PD150 I mentioned furthur back in these posts.

It is at http://www.dvinfo.net/media/bhe11.jpg

I have a .tcw design drawing showing lens positions however in making the prototypes, I strayed from the design for practical reasons.

This has to be incorporated and the drawing re-dimensioned. The adaptor relays a smaller 18mm image target and demonstrates a general principle only. It also does not re-erect the inverted image.
Bob Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2003, 10:03 AM   #407
Regular Crew

Flipping the Image

I think if the image can be flipped without any loss of resolution or image detail then it is good (may be we should try to see how the original was flipped). If there is a loss, then I agree with the post on using mirrors on the lcd and flipping it in post. BTW the P&S version had a 1 to 2 f-stop loss. How many stops are we losing with this version.
Ernest Acosta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2003, 10:04 AM   #408
Regular Crew

Flipping the Image

More to the previous post, I will make some calls to some optics people to see how it can be done without any loss.
Ernest Acosta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2003, 10:15 AM   #409
Regular Crew

Daniel can you please post some pix and what type of video camera you are using for this setup? I think this approach might work well for the DVX with a achromatic diopter or + closeup lens.

I also can live with a mirror in the LCD or a flipped external monitor. I just bought a car 5 inch DVD at Fry's for $99.
Powered by 12volts.

Thanx
Taylor Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2003, 11:06 AM   #410
Major Player

Peter,

Nice box. Let us know how it works. Are you on the 3rd version because you couldn't get the others to work, or are you just trying to improve them as you go?

Also, what kind of brace is that? I want one! Please let me know...

Clay
Old December 18th, 2003, 11:14 AM   #411
Regular Crew

Chris - The cat just likes to sniff the camera and make faces at me like. I'm more important than this stupid machine... pay attention to me!

It's actually funny because he jumped into the picture, I wasn't even planning on having him in the picture.

J Clayton - The support structure is:

a 3420 Telephoto Lens Support from Manfrotto/bogen (this thing almost seems like it is built for this rig... and its only like 50 bucks I think)

and a camera shoulder mount which I picked up years ago (i don't remember how much, but under 100)
Peter Sciretta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2003, 11:19 AM   #412
Major Player

Peter,

...and both the mount and the telephoto support just fit together or is there some rigging involved?

Do you know the model of the shoulder mount?

Thanks.
Clay
Old December 18th, 2003, 11:24 AM   #413
Regular Crew

both of the items have the standard tripod screw... so the shoulder mount is screwed into the telephoto lens mount which is screwed into the video camera.
Old December 18th, 2003, 11:29 AM   #414
Regular Crew

unfourtunately I do not know the brand for the shoulder mount, but I'm sure someone in another area of this forum could point you to a good cheap one like it... i know varizoom makes some stuff like it...

http://www.varizoom.com/pages/supportindex.php

EDIT: I think I found a model that looks to be the newest model of what I have at:

http://www.studio1productions.com/dvbrace.htm

its 149.99

you may be able to find something cheaper....
Old December 18th, 2003, 12:18 PM   #415
Trustee

I think Studio1 actually makes that shoulder mount - I have it myself. I got it below $100 at ZotzDigital, one of this site's sponsors.
Imran Zaidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2003, 12:36 PM   #416
Major Player

Alright...questions for those of you in the know about optics and/or those of you with a GL1 or similar cam that has an Agus35 working:

1) I cannot pull focus with my 35mm lens. I'm talking both alone and with the adapter attached.

Upon investigating -- and here my ignorance of optics will show -- I found that I need to place the lens about 6 inches from the surface of the projection (in this case, my eye) in order for anything to come into focus. Which begs the questions: 1a) how do you shrink the distance between the 35mm lens and the GG, or 1b) am I stuck keeping the lens to a distance of 6in. or greater from the GG? (i.e. making my adapter larger?)

2) Anyone having success with a CD motor/clasp setup at a proper speed? By proper, I mean that I assume these motors have a max speed they're rated for -- with the typical portable CD player runningg off of 2 "AA" batteries (3 volts), I assume hooking one up to a 9 volt battery to be a mistake.

However, running through tests today, I noticed a palpable shimmer in my (as yet focused) imagery that was directly related to the slow RPM of the motor. Hooking it up to a 9v battery cured the problem, but I have doubts as to how long the motor will run in this mode.

- jim
Old December 18th, 2003, 02:45 PM   #417
Major Player

Ok, seens like most of you dont care about the flipped image, but i dont know about when release the product, if all user will mind about it. you can flip it in post with no trouble and loss quality, the problem comes when deinterlacing.. you must deinterlace first and then flip.

would it be too bad that you get the flipped image ?
Agus Casse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2003, 02:52 PM   #418
Major Player

Agus,

I think if you are going to make a commercial product and sell it that way, you need to flip the image. I personally would not want to spend around $1000 for an Agus35 and not have my image correct. Maybe you can offer a cheaper version that doens't flip the image? Give the people a choice!

Clay

P.S. I don't know any good way to do this, but I think it needs to be done. You might just study exactly how SLR cameras flip the image and then find some way to use that???
Old December 18th, 2003, 03:14 PM   #419
Major Player

yeah, that is exactly what i was thinking about, using prism is the best solution it seens.
Agus Casse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2003, 07:29 PM   #420
Regular Crew

Flip Image

3 months ago I was holding 5 inches LCD monitor. Saleperson said "and nice feature is that you can flip the image upside down with this button"

I went to the place monitors are gone, he dosen't remember who made them. They were at around $350

Mike

P.S. They were designed for car use.
Mike Cecotka is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods