Homemade 35mm Adapter - Page 26 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old December 16th, 2003, 02:47 PM   #376
Major Player

you guys are terrific!!!

hello there,
i'm mailing from poland.

i can't beleive that i finally found the group which is co fascinated with this adapter. since i saw original pro35 adapter, i spend lot of hours drawing and thinking about it - how to build my own adapter - and then, yesterday - i found this marvelous gruop. i must say that i didn't sleep after reading ALL posts here.

congratulations to all of you!

my special hello to agus as a pioneer in this field!

what can i say more, but - I'M IN !!!!!

filip
Filip Kovcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2003, 03:03 PM   #377
Major Player

"Now, i am working really hard now to make a comercial version, which will cost less than 1k, complete with support base, metal rods, and the image will come up perfectly, it wont be necesary to flip it up."

...and when will it be available? Roughly. Hope to see the final result of the clip. :)
Old December 16th, 2003, 04:07 PM   #378

Agus35 T-shirts?

Agus,

Please make mine a black XL please.

- don
CREATE and NETWORK with http://www.bosfcpug.org
and also http://fcpugnetwork.org
Don Berube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2003, 04:41 PM   #379
Regular Crew

Need Agus35™ logo

Agus... just an amazing thread here... lot's a smart people have joined in, i'm still gathering parts and pieces for my XL1S version but things are looking good, in the meantime, we need an Agus35™ logo to put on our projects-that's to make them official.... Maybe something we can print out and "stencil" on with a spray can or air brush. I done tons of them, so if you need any help feel free to email me at dinor@hotmail.com...

onward!
D
Dino Reyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2003, 04:47 PM   #380
Major Player

...and just like that...you are famous!
Wow!!!

I'll take a couple stickers, a black Large shirt, and a membership into the fan club!
Great idea Dino! I'll definitely stencil it on mine (once it's done of course).
Old December 17th, 2003, 02:32 AM   #381
Major Player

hey people, sorry to leave you guys hangen. I went on vacation. I will post some footage tommorow. Right now im tired.

John
Old December 17th, 2003, 06:37 AM   #382
Regular Crew

John - can't wait to see some footage...

Agus - what brand cds did you find the "allready frosted cds" in???? A bunch of people have tried asking you this question a couple times... and you have yet to answer... I have gone through

fujifilm - 30 pack (1gg disc) bought at radio shack

philips - 30 pack (1gg disc) bought at Best Buy, was cheap and came in a 50 spindal case.

Unknown Brand 100 pack $20 at best buy included 4 gg discs

But none have been pre frosted... so what brand are you finding these gems in?
Peter Sciretta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2003, 06:47 AM   #383
Regular Crew

On the topic of macro lenses, wouldn't something like this work?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=11209&is=REG

It's a 58mm +10 B+W brand macro lens. I don't know if it's really 58mm or if it's a 37mm lens threaded for 58mm, but if it's really a 58mm lens, it'd be quite useful for this, especially since it's +10 like that, you'd be able to have a very thin adapter by having the GG so close to the camera.
Jon Yurek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2003, 06:50 AM   #384
New Boot

Agus

If you're planning on making and selling a pro version of the Agus35, are you still going to release the plans on how to make the amateur version?

Can anyone else post the plans on how it's done? There's lots of photos but it would be nice to have some detailed descriptions of what to do ie how much sanding of the fake cd must be done, how to line up what the 36mm lens sees withe the camcorders lens etc etc

Well done to all the guys who are helping this thread move forward!

Regards

Terry
Terry Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2003, 07:01 AM   #385
Regular Crew

I just sanded a cd with 600 grit paper (I used 300 before on a previous cd) and no matter how much I sand the cd with the 600 grit the image projected is not as good as the 300 grit... what am i doing wrong?
Peter Sciretta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2003, 07:40 AM   #386
New Boot

Hi Guys

I've just been to a glaziers and asked about having the fake cd made out of glass and was told that it could be made out of 4mm Satin glass. It will cost about £6 to have it made.

I asked if it could be made about 1-2mm and was told that it wasn't possible to cut glass any shallower than 4mm.

Does anyone know if this type of glass would work?

Regards

Terry
Terry Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2003, 07:47 AM   #387
Regular Crew

I'm thinking that maybe the glass would be too heavy for a cd motor. If you have a more powerful motor however it might work
Stewart McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2003, 08:32 AM   #388
Inner Circle

To: Terry Wright. I don't think your satin glass is going to work. First up you've got a balance problem, then there's the power issue as mentioned in another response. The satin glass that I know also transmits too much light, is not finely opaque enough to adequately work as a projection screen as fine ground glass or etched glass would.

To: Everyone. Here's one slightly out of what you US folks call left field. Some years ago I thought I would do a conscientious thing and clean a rear projection screen on a Teleray motion picture film viewer.What I didn't know was the frosted glas wasn't. Instead it was a fine mist coat of something which cleaned off instantly very nicely.

I ended up using a piece of plastic shop bag stretched tightly over the glass sheet. It had a few wrinckles but did the job.

A piece of shop bag, Mitre 10 Hardware and Officeworks shop bags as used in Australia seem best, more opacity, less variation in thickness.

Pressed between two clear CD disks it seems to display an image without too much flare but still not as good as a ground glass. I arrived at this through ransacking my imagination on how to achieve a uniform coat of wax on the surface of a clear disk then thought of pressing it between two and giving it a few seconds or more in a microwave to melt the wax. Getting rid of the bubbles is a real cow.

Another good opaque material is the motor vehicle registrations stickers were have here, unfortunately in too small a piece. I have not got round to finding the source as I diverged from the project onto something else.

(The original project was to devise an oscillating groundglass for the film plane of any 35mm SLR camera, motor to fit in the space where the film canister goes but then I realised there would have had to have been too much electronic trickery to keep the glass moving in phase with the scanning frame rate of the camcorder and vibration would have been an issue, so I did not go there.)
Bob Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2003, 08:53 AM   #389
Major Player

I've just received my 8x10" ground glass that I purchased on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=29981&item=2968796829

Now to find someone who can precision cut it into an 7" circle and drill hole in the middle.

I have to say I think this will work much better than a scratched cd.
Matt Gottshalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2003, 09:38 AM   #390
Regular Crew

Any new footage

Hey Agus, sounds like you have perfected the adapter. Can you post some new footage of your masterpiece? Inside and outside with natural light? I have all the materials for the adapter and plan on building one for the Panasonic DVX100. I am just concerned with the size of the ground glass that may be needed for projection. Also a question which hasn't been addressed which is will it work with an anamorphic adapter? Thanks.
Ernest Acosta is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods