Canon EF Lenses with Extreme 24, 35, 50, 85 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old February 3rd, 2008, 08:48 PM   #1
New Boot

Canon EF Lenses with Extreme 24, 35, 50, 85

Sorry for yet another lens query but after a reading and looking around for about 30 minutes, I still could not determine if the Canon EF lenses would be a good fit with our LEX setups. Looking at:

24mm 1.4L USM
35mm 1.4L USM
50mm 1.4 USM
85mm 1.2L II USM

They will have to be mounted on a still camera to set the aperture? Will there be a problem using a follow focus (focus direction, sourcing rings, etc.). Any other concerns?

I borrowed the 50mm & 85mm from a friend, did a 1/2 day of shooting and it was stunning to see the results. But maybe for the money I'd be better going with a different set?

Many thanks in advance, I hope others that do a search on these lenses can use the results as well.
Billy Mead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2008, 11:18 PM   #2
New Boot

i think setting the aperture on digital still is the only downfall using an EF lens, however if that does not bother you, by all means show the world what the EF lens and your talented skills can do. follow focus does not have bad affects on those lenses.
Willis Chung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2008, 09:05 PM   #3
New Boot

Thanks Willis... I have been reading a little more today and found other lenses that might be a little more common for the application. But the Canon's sure looked great.

And we'll see about the 'talent' side but it'll be a fun spring as the weather gets nice here in Boston!
Old February 5th, 2008, 06:12 AM   #4
New Boot

have fun, i just got the EF Lens mount for my letus extreme
Old February 5th, 2008, 11:23 AM   #5
Major Player

EF 85mm f1.2 will not work on DOF adapters!

Be aware that the mighty Canon 85mm f1.2 EF lens can not be used without power from the camera as it has electro-mechanical manual focusing ring that does not work without the EOS camera body. I have the EF 85mm f1.2 MKI for still photography and it doesn`t focus manually on DOF adapters.
Therefore I got a FD version of this lens as well as some other rare puppies from the higher end of Canon FD series. Also hopefully the Letus FD mount will be of the best quality without any play in it. Unfortunately good glass never comes cheap even if discontinued for almost 20 years like the FD ones.

Cheers,
T

Last edited by Toenis Liivamaegi; February 6th, 2008 at 11:01 AM.
Toenis Liivamaegi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2008, 02:19 PM   #6
New Boot

Toenis, you are so correct. The 85mm ring will just spin and spin, but no focus!

Do you care to share with me the your hints for 'rare puppies' for the FD mount? :)
Old February 6th, 2008, 04:38 AM   #7
New Boot

i got an EF mount, doesn't mean i will be using EF lens =P
Old February 6th, 2008, 09:21 AM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Mead View Post
Do you care to share with me the your hints for 'rare puppies' for the FD mount? :)
Not so rare but still not so common are the 14mm f2.8 L, the TS 35mm 2.8 and of course the 85mm f1.2 L as I tend to believe that the 24mm f2 and 50mm f1.4 are quite common. All of those are of the newest series of FD.

Cheers,
T
Toenis Liivamaegi is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods