Shotgun Mic Help... Thanks! - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old June 2nd, 2003, 10:59 PM   #31
Regular Crew

Jeff,

I read the entire thread. Would you still recomend the Schriber over the Canon MD-50 shotgun? I am trying to decide between the two and I don't want to spend over $160.

The main problem with the Canon mic is that you can't use if off the camera. However, the upside is that it is designed for the GL2 and shouldn't have any hiss issues.

In short, I am leaning towards the Schriber, but I'd be really dissapointed if I hook it up and hear a constant hiss.

Either way I suppose you get what you pay for.
Alex Geschke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2003, 09:08 AM   #32
Major Player

I'm reserving judgement until I talk to NRG, the manufacturers, about the hiss. Otherwise I'm back to thinking about the DM-50. Zotz is recommending the AT (815? 835?) but I'm leery over the additional length. I've thought some about the AT-55 though.

My hesitancy over the DM-50 is that I couldn't use it on my GL-1 so I'd prefer a mic that works on both.

Schriber also makes a shotgun they call the SA-600 but I don't know how its specs match up with the 568.
Jeff Price is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2003, 10:08 PM   #33
Regular Crew

hiss with inexpensive normal/tele mics

I don't think you'll ever get rid of the hiss in 'tele' or 'hypercardiod' mode on one of those inexpensive 'switchable' shotgun mics like the Schriber or the ATR-55. I have never seen one that didn't have it.

The least expensive shotgun mic that I have found with decent sound and quality is the Azden SGM-1X. You can pick them up for about $149. No hiss. No ridiculous 'normal' - 'tele' switch. 'Free' shock mount included in price. A pretty decent one, too.

Good luck!

<<<-- Originally posted by Jeff Price : I'm reserving judgement until I talk to NRG, the manufacturers, about the hiss. Otherwise I'm back to thinking about the DM-50. Zotz is recommending the AT (815? 835?) but I'm leery over the additional length. I've thought some about the AT-55 though.

My hesitancy over the DM-50 is that I couldn't use it on my GL-1 so I'd prefer a mic that works on both.

Schriber also makes a shotgun they call the SA-600 but I don't know how its specs match up with the 568. -->>>
Old June 3rd, 2003, 10:12 PM   #34
Regular Crew

I fully agree with Jay, I upgraded to the Azden SGM-1X and got great results at a wedding on Sunday. No hissing, crystal clear audio. I am about to ship back my Schriber SA-568.

I did experience some sound distortion at the reception when standing next to the loud speaker system, with the GL2 built in mic. I think I shoud have turned on MIC ATT....right ??..or maybe I should have kept the SGM-1X and used is as a regular cardioid without the long barrel. Will try this next time. I did play around with the manual audio and tried to lower it, but this just lowered the volume, the distortion was still present at high amplitudes.

Any suggestions here ????
Lester DeLeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2003, 10:37 PM   #35
Major Player

Lester -

What did you hook up the Azden SGM-1X to your GL2 with? This is the mic I am about to buy.

- Ar
Aaron Rosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2003, 10:41 PM   #36
Regular Crew

I used a beachtek XLR adapter...but I think you can just as easily use an XLR to mini stereo plut...I tested using the cables from the SA-568, that was the only nice thing about the Schriber, it came with cables. And the shock mount on the Azden virtually eliminates camera handling noise

By the way, I have the SGM-2X, not the SGM-1X....sorry about the misprint.
Old June 3rd, 2003, 10:59 PM   #37
Major Player

Does your current setup include a preamp (the beachtec)?

I will be using the Canon MA-300. Just want to insure that there will be NO hum and the mic will have enough power.
Old June 3rd, 2003, 11:06 PM   #38
Regular Crew

I don't think so...I have the Beachtek DXA-4P
Old June 3rd, 2003, 11:16 PM   #39
Major Player

So does anyone know if the Azden SGM-1X will work?
Old June 4th, 2003, 07:54 AM   #40
Regular Crew

SGM-1x and SGM-2x battery powered

The SGM-1x and SGM-2x run on battery power, not phantom power, so that is not an issue with either mic. I can't speak to 'hum' because I've never used one with a MA-300.

What causes the hum? and under what conditions does it occur?

<<<-- Originally posted by Aaron Rosen : So does anyone know if the Azden SGM-1X will work? -->>>
Old June 4th, 2003, 09:16 AM   #41
Major Player

If you return a Schriber because of hiss make sure you say so! I talked with the people at NRG and they say they have had no complaints about it. Many people are using it with the GL1 and GL2 and the magazine reviews have been favorable. Given that the two I've tried were both manufactured in 2002 in approximately the same time period (look on the back of the inspection card) there may be a defect but they don't think so.

The way it was explained to me, and I may get some of the details wrong, is that the hyper setting really ramps up the amplifier (equivalent to cranking up the gain?). The question NRG posed to me was whether I was loading up the microphone when I heard the hiss - in other words how much sound was being recorded that would overcome the noise. Since most of my efforts had been in quiet rooms there was little loading but I would still expect to be able to do a suitable job in those conditions as well. I agreed to try another day of field testing before returning the microphone.

Schriber apparently has some more shotgun designs in the planning stages. Another option to the SA-568, especially if you aren't ever going to use an XLR with it, is the SA-600. It doesn't have the metal case and the miniplug is hardwired to the mic but it costs quite a bit less. Otherwise they said the specs were about the same.

So, if it doesn't rain I'll try one more time to see if 'loading' the mic makes any real difference.
Jeff Price is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2003, 10:08 AM   #42
Regular Crew

How far out in front the camera does the Azden SGM-2X extend in both modes? This sounds like a great mic for the money, but not if you can see it at wide angle.
Joe Sacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2003, 10:00 PM   #43
Regular Crew

The SGM-2X does not extend into the field of view in either the cardioid or hypercardioid mode. The shockmount, which is made of rubber bands, allows the barrel to be pushed back. So the mic is about the lenght of the camera with the hypercardioid barrel extension, but I can mount it in a way so it does not go into the field of view (even at full wide angle) and at the same time it does not interfere with using the eyepiece. So far I have no complaints. I am thinking of using the mic without the long barrel at my next wedding, I am hoping it does a better job with audio than the built in mic.
Old June 4th, 2003, 11:52 PM   #44
Regular Crew

Jeff,

Do you have to use XLR with the Schriber SA-568, or can you plug directly to the mic jack on the camera?

Also, put in a post if you decide to send it back. I still don't know what I'm going to do, but if it is bad enough for you to return I do know it will get crossed off my list.

What good is an awesome image if the sound sucks?
Old June 4th, 2003, 11:55 PM   #45
Regular Crew

The Schriber mic can be used with or without an XLR adapter, but the hiss still exists either way.
Lester DeLeon is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio