Rode SVM cs. AT822? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old June 22nd, 2006, 11:49 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Rode SVM vs. AT822?

Has anyone been able to try out the Rode's Stereo Video Mic yet?
Do you think it will outperform the AT822? - for about the same prize, maybe even being more practical?

I plan to get a stereo mic and have the chance to get a new AT822 for abt. 190 USD now, including the shock mount it would be about 230 USD. I wonder if I should grab it or wait for the release of Rode's SVM.

Last edited by Andreas Griesmayr; June 23rd, 2006 at 01:55 AM. Reason: correction
Andreas Griesmayr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2006, 06:16 AM   #2
Trustee

I haven't heard of the SVM. When is that supposed
to be out?
Dave Largent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2006, 06:29 AM   #3
Major Player

It's coming out in July. I hope to have a unit to review before then.
Guy Bruner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2006, 08:25 AM   #4
Fred Retread

The success of the VideoMic has led to high expectations for the SVM. Tough call. But I believe that the SVM release has already been delayed at least once. So you may have a long wait. Personally, I'd go for the AT822. Chances are you can recover your full purchase price if you want the SVM later.
Old June 23rd, 2006, 07:25 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Retread
.....Personally, I'd go for the AT822. Chances are you can recover your full purchase price if you want the SVM later.
very good point!
I just checked the prizes I'd have to pay for the AT822 back in Austria, actually at online shops in Germany which is the cheapest place to buy for Austrians. It is 311 Euro for the AT822, another 64 Euro for the shock mount, + sending cost, which makes about 470 USD or double the prize I'd have to pay here.
The Videomic ist to be had for 99 Euro only, which is about the same prize as in the US if I am not mistaken, whereas the AT822 is about 200USD in the US, half prize than in Euroland. - Which, to find friendly words for these strange prizings, makes the AT822 an exclusive piece in the Eu.

Last edited by Andreas Griesmayr; June 23rd, 2006 at 11:58 PM.
Old June 24th, 2006, 08:39 AM   #6
Regular Crew

I also have been looking at these two mics. Still can't decide but have the time to wait a bit. I am leaning towards the AT822. I would like to buy used, but ebay shows new ones, and I would be hesitant about a used via ebay anyway. And if I could recover most of the price as Fred says then it becomes even more attractive to get the AT822 new. And of course if everyone is so happy with the AT822 then I wouldn't see many used ones around, right? I would love to hear what you decided to do Andreas.

Thanks!
Leslie Dopkiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2006, 09:05 AM   #7
Fred Retread

Leslie, I've had very good luck with eBay, even buying used camcorders for my video club. If you ever decide to go that route, just make sure that the seller has at least a 98+% feedback rating based upon a good number of transactions. And if there are any negatives, I read the details and make a judgement. Anyone might run into a crank buyer. I prefer private sellers who have a plausible reason for selling. I often email them to get a feel for their responsiveness and personality. I've never been burned.

I like to record band and choral concerts in stereo. As you may have found, there are a lot of approaches. There are single point x/y mics like the 822, single point mid-side mics like the 835ST and pairs of cardioid mics that you set up yourself in several possible configurations. I currently use a pair of AT3031 cardioids. I get very good quality (staggeringly good quality on my last outing using the ORTF configuration), but two mics are a bit of a hassle to set up and there are already lot of things to think about at a gig. I'm really curious as to whether a well-placed single point mic would be as good. Regarding stereo separation, there is a wonderful free VST plugin that allows you to adjust that after the fact. I think I may buy an 822 or 825 and see.
Old June 26th, 2006, 12:24 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Leslie, from what I have learned at videoforums it seems that the Videomic I is the preferrred shutgun and the AT822 the preferered stereo mic for consumer videographers who decent quality but don't want to spend big pucks for more professional mics.

However, Fred, am I crazy craving for another stereo mic?
Let me explain:

I own a stereo mic, the Panasonic VW-VMS2. Recently I also bought two socalled 'iriver Giant Squids', mono omni lavs which I combine with a Y adapter trying to record stereo as well ( I wanted one to record voice to my iriver mp3 player/recorder, but then opted to get two trying to record stereo with them as well )

I had made comparative recordings but lacking experience with audio recordings I really can't tell which sound better, the Pana or the two Giant Squid combined. I never have found any review of the Panasonic VW-VMS2, but I really wonder how it would compare to the like of the AT822. I'd expect the AT822 to be much better! That would make the Pana mic obsolete which then I'd try to sell it via ebay ( - even though I had built that cute and well working shock mount for it which I am so proud of...)

Or, if wanting another mic should I not better go for the Videomic I since I don't have any shotgun mic?
But: All my shootings I do while travelling where I try to catch ambient sound, not voices. In case I need voice I was planning to use the Giant Squid recording to the iriver. And the AT822 could be my 'ultimate' mic for many years to come, whereas the Pana makes me grave for something better.

I also wonder how the AT822 would perfrom recording stereo to the iriver.
Old June 26th, 2006, 12:26 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Leslie, from what I have learned at videoforums it seems that the Videomic I is the preferrred shutgun and the AT822 the preferered stereo mic for consumer videographers who decent quality but don't want to spend big pucks for more professional mics.

However, Fred, am I crazy craving for another stereo mic?
Let me explain:

I own a stereo mic, the Panasonic VW-VMS2. Recently I also bought two socalled 'iriver Giant Squids', mono omni lavs which I combine with a Y adapter trying to record stereo as well ( I wanted one to record voice to my iriver mp3 player/recorder, but then opted to get two trying to record stereo with them as well )

I had made comparative recordings but lacking experience with audio recordings I really can't tell which sound better, the Pana or the two Giant Squid combined. I never have found any review of the Panasonic VW-VMS2, but I really wonder how it would compare to the like of the AT822. I'd expect the AT822 to be much better! That would make the Pana mic obsolete which then I'd try to sell it via ebay ( - even though I had built that cute and well working shock mount for it which I am so proud of...)

Or, if wanting another mic should I not better go for the Videomic I since I don't have any shotgun mic?
But: All my shootings I do while travelling where I try to catch ambient sound, not voices. In case I need voice it would be rather for interviews for which I was planning to use the Giant Squid recording to the iriver. And the AT822 could be my 'ultimate' mic for many years to come, whereas the Pana makes me grave for something better.

I also wonder how the AT822 would perform recording stereo to the iriver.
Old June 26th, 2006, 07:15 AM   #10
Fred Retread

I like Panasonic as a company, but I have no confidence in them as a mic manufacturer. Based on the assumption that the VMS2 is not too different from the VMS3 (for which there is an on line review), my guess is that the frequency response is poor and that the AT822 would sound better. As I said above, I intend to try an 822 or 825 at my next concert. If it doesn't sound as good as my two AT3031s I'll return it.
Old June 26th, 2006, 07:47 AM   #11
Regular Crew

thank's Fred.
When will be your next concert? Please be so kind and tell me then how you liked the AT822
Old June 26th, 2006, 08:04 AM   #12

We have the 822, 825, Rode NT4, and other sundry stereo mics, and they're usable for many applications. If you can use a matched pair of properly spaced omni's, these mics aren't nearly as good, but in tight situations where a single point placement is required, it's an easy toss between them. I'd take the AT in almost all situations except for very close miking. The NT4 is very sweet for that sort of work.
YMMV
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2006, 08:23 AM   #13
Fred Retread

Doug, do you consider spaced omnis to be better in some/many/most situations than the various coincident and near-coincident pair configurations?
Old June 26th, 2006, 09:00 AM   #14

Room/situation dependent of course, yes, I prefer spaced omni's.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2006, 06:34 PM   #15
Regular Crew

Can two iriver Giant Sqids omni mono mics be combined with an Y adapter to record stereo?
If so, what would be the best set up / positioning of the two GS? How for apart, X-ing position?

If the 2 GS could be set up well to record stereo, would you even prefer the GS over the AT822 for e.g recording concerts? or ambience?

When recording mounted to the cam when filming on the road there would be no way the GS could challendge the AT822, right?

Last edited by Andreas Griesmayr; June 27th, 2006 at 01:02 AM.
Andreas Griesmayr is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio