Improving audio quality on the VX2100 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old March 27th, 2006, 07:03 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Improving audio quality on the VX2100

Just thought I'd let folks know that there's a extremely good mod that can be done to one's VX2100 - which involves bypassing the Sony's somewhat noisy pre-amplifiers.
The mod is undertaken by a certain Greg Winter (details here at: http://www.gregjwinter.com ) who offers an very efficient service at a very reasonable price.
The upside is that the S/N is greatly improved - with DAT-like quality; the downside is that you will need to feed the camera with +4dBu level audio - from a decent mic pre / mixer. I use a (recently purchased) Sound Devices 302, and the resulting audio improvement off tape is really quite impressive.
Just thought you might like to know...
Rgds, Ross.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Old March 28th, 2006, 05:01 PM   #2
Fred Retread

If you do a search on "greg winter" here you'll find over thirty threads :>)

But I'm sure it was news at the other site where you placed the same post in several places.
Old March 28th, 2006, 05:09 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Sharing good news

Sometimes good news bears repetition - hence my posts on various boards, and an occasional reminder of someone who does an excellent job is no bad thing, as I'm sure you would agree,..?
Regards, Ross.
~~~~~~~~~~~
Old March 29th, 2006, 05:46 AM   #4
Fred Retread

Ross
Yes, I'd agree. I was mainly pointing out, in case you didn't know, that the average user of this board is more sophisticated than that of the other boards.
Old March 29th, 2006, 07:28 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Agreed..!

Yes, I was aware of that - as reading the posts here makes it plain that there is a greater depth of knowledge & experience. Even so as new folks join they may not always trawl the board for a particular piece of information, and whilst this is the preferred method (to avoid unnecessary repetition), it does not always bring to the surface the information being sought - hence the 'need' to make a new post. In doing so it also has the benefit of demonstrating that the subject/topic is still relevant.
Great board, by the way... I have found it most helpful...
Rgds, Ross.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio