New B audio for z1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old February 24th, 2006, 07:08 PM   #1
Regular Crew

New B audio for z1

New to this forum I have looked in the archives and learned a lot of information. Based on this i decided on upgrading the on camera mic

having just purchased a mkh 416t(t power) i am curious how this works with a z1u ( phatom power).

Im thinking of buying this http://www.trewaudio.com/catalog/items/item335.htm

connecting the mic and running this into the camera or a mixer. Im shooting a documentary in Germany. Most of the shooting will be outdoors. So i know i will need a rycote. Can i skip the foam piece (over the mic) and just go straight to rycote or is that mandatory?

How necessary is the mixer?
Charles Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2006, 02:07 AM   #2
Major Player

Rycote

I find the Rycote works great inside and out. I would say you can skip the foam.
Jack D. Hubbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2006, 06:41 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Warning!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Marshall

having just purchased a mkh 416t(t power) i am curious how this works with a z1u ( phatom power).

I...
Reading your post alarm bells went off!!!!! T-POWER AND PHANTOM POWER ARE NOT THE SAME THING! The voltages and wiring connections are totally different and plugging a T-power mic into a source of phantom power can seriously damage the mic and perhaps also the device it's plugged into. Do NOT just plug that mic into your camera. You MUST either exchange the mic for one taking phantom power, get an inline adapter that specifically converts between the two power types, get a separate power supply that provides t-power, or use a mixer that provides T-power for microphones.

Note - glanced at your link to Trew after posting this and that adapter would work to protect the mic. But don't try it without the adapter unless you have a mixer or power supply that is specifically designed to supply t-power.
Old February 25th, 2006, 06:49 AM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Marshall
New to this forum I have looked in the archives and learned a lot of information. Based on this i decided on upgrading the on camera mic

Im thinking of buying this http://www.trewaudio.com/catalog/items/item335.htm

connecting the mic and running this into the camera or a mixer. Im shooting a documentary in Germany. Most of the shooting will be outdoors. So i know i will need a rycote. Can i skip the foam piece (over the mic) and just go straight to rycote or is that mandatory?

How necessary is the mixer?
you need phantom 48 to t (12 ab power adaptor ) , the mic wouldn't work without , you can skip on foam , but you will need it in interior shots , so ill suggest you get one , you will need it at the future
dont forget buy fur as well for high wind situations
Oleg Kaizerman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio