Self-contained bluetooth mic at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old August 21st, 2024, 07:40 PM   #1
Trustee

Self-contained bluetooth mic

Howdy folks,

It's awfully quiet in here. I hope everyone's had a good summer. Here's another random topic for contemplation.

Does anyone make a small Bluetooth mic that can pair with generic BT devices ... i.e. NOT need its own special receiver or proprietary smartphone app? But perhaps could connect generically with a phone. Hopefully about the size of a Rode Go II. Just curious what people are making these days.

Peace, out. ;-)
Greg Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2024, 08:21 AM   #2
Wrangler

Re: Self-contained bluetooth mic

Wouldn't latency be a big problem with with using a bluetooth microphone for video? I mean, if you were shooting the video on a phone with a bluetooth mic, then I suppose it could compensate. But seems like using it as a wireless mic with a regular video camera would be a problem.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2024, 02:42 PM   #3
Inner Circle

The Shure MoveMic is the best sounding bluetooth solution directly into your phone. The system is expensive but they offera mobile only package for $249 https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1803901-REG/shure_mv_one_z7_movemic_one_direct_to.html/BI/2855/KBID/3801. While other systems like DJI offer bluetooth the quality isn't good but a much better value.

https://youtu.be/BTWfTTCa_uc?si=nOC9t07ZnHAO_gbC
https://youtu.be/nWtn9ZrRVGQ?si=Ap74MKBcUkjWWsgg

Last edited by Pete Cofrancesco; August 30th, 2024 at 03:48 PM.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2024, 10:08 PM   #4
Trustee

Boyd,
Latency is a good question. I've been trying to research this (starting essentially from scratch). From what I've found, latency can very widely depending on which codec is used. I have not seen any indication that it can be shorter than ~40 mSec. I believe that, for any given codec, it will be a fixed amount for the duration of any given recording, so once it's synced in post it should be stable.

Pete,
Thanks for the info about the Shure system, and for the other links! I'm reading this very late at night, but I will certainly explore all that info tomorrow.

This makes me think back to some older systems such as the Wii Audiolink system (mfg. Jancus). I'm pretty sure those also used 2.4 Ghz. Apparently they still have some current products. I wonder whether they were some proprietary digital system not relying on the BT standards.
Greg Miller is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio