On camera audio track split? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old June 22nd, 2024, 06:55 AM   #1
Trustee

On camera audio track split?

Hi guys, right now my audio workflow is:

- Dual transmitter lav mics -> wireless receiver -> S5II recording the audio and splitting the audio tracks (I end up with an individual audio track for each mic, which is what I want).

I'd like to know if the S5II would still be able to split the audio track and record each mic individually in the scenario below.

- Dual Transmitter lav mics -> wireless receiver -> H1 Essential recording 32 bit float -> S5II recording the audio
Old June 30th, 2024, 09:01 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: On camera audio track split?

The stereo separate channel split should work, I would think. Though, I doubt that you would be getting a 32-bit output from the Zoom in E-E mode. I would imagine that the stereo mini jack output would be an E-E signal on pass-through. In other words, unprocessed, what is coming into the Zoom would be the same going out. Though, what is being recorded internally is being processed as 32-bit float.

If, and you would have to confirm this. If the signal coming out is AFTER the 32-bit internal processing, then yes, it should work to deliver 32-bit processed audio to the camera.

I guess the test would be to send an overloaded signal into the Zoom H1essential and record its 3.5mm output to the camera. I would be checking that throughput signal under two different scenarios. 1) Recording on the camera WITHOUT the Zoom recording and 2) WITH the Zoom recording. Because if there is going to be 32-bit processed audio on the 3.5 mm output, it may only be available when the Zoom is actually recording.

It would be interesting to know for sure.

Chris Young
Christopher Young is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio