Should I alter an actor's voice this way? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old October 17th, 2019, 03:36 AM   #16
Major Player

Re: Should I alter an actor's voice this way?

Totally fine, go with.
Rainer Listing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2019, 01:36 AM   #17
Inner Circle

It really depends on the character she's playing how acceptable the altered voice is. However, I wouldn't cast her for a major part, perhaps a small part in one scene or two scenes.

Alternately, you could get her to come in again and try to play the part differently to see if the voice changes. It's generally a good idea to do this anyway at an audition to see if they can take direction.

Just being a good actor isn't the reason to cast someone. it's if they're right for this particular role in the film as you're telling it. They may not even be the better actor overall in career terms, but for this part they're bringing something extra that the others aren't, so, in this case, they are the right one for the character. In doing this, everything is important.

Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2019, 03:31 AM   #18
also known as Ryan Wray

Oh okay thanks. Are you saying that you would only cast in her in a small part because of the voice though?

I talked to her about it, and she said she was nervous which is why her voice sounded higher than usual perhaps, and she can try to work on it.
Ryan Elder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2019, 04:00 AM   #19
Inner Circle

Having been involved with hundreds of auditions over the years - you are totally missing the point. It is NOT a personal thing, it's business. If you want a friend to be in your project because you like them and want them to be in it, then you overlook their deficiencies. If you are auditioning actors, singers and dancers - something I hate doing, but have to every year, then you develop blinkers and prejudices. You see people you have worked with before. You have either labelled them mentally as good to have in the production, or a pain. That makes the decision easy. For strangers, it's down to you gut reaction and skills. You must not think about the benefit to them, but to you.

Here comes the unspoken problem. In today's society, some prejudices are now just plain bad, and some illegal. However, others are VERY relevant, but probably best kept to yourself.

I'll share a few rejections - people who were determined to not be suitable - and this is not their acting, singing or dance ability - that's a separate 'test', with different criteria.

Rejections for being:
Too old
Too young
Too pretty
Too ugly
Ginger
Wrinkly
Spotty
Too short
Too tall
Too thin
Too fat
Voice too high
Voice too low
Voice just not nice to listen to
Voice annoying
Can't sing
Can't dance
Can't act
Abrasive personality
Horrible big nose
Warts
Tattoos
No eyebrows
knobbly knees
huge feet
horrible legs
huge arm muscles
huge chest and no neck
bad teeth
sticky out ears
nose studs or piercings

Probably plenty more if I had a think.

All these just make them unsuitable and nobody would dream of revealing you didn't give the job to somebody because they were ginger! Good it's in the head and the panel, if there is one are all on the same level.

It's your movie - why would you take somebody who won't fit normal clothes used as costume, who needs an hour in makeup, or needs expensive wigs. Why consider somebody with a strange voice. The fact we're even having this discussion screams you want her and want us to agree, and frankly, actors are ten a penny. If you want a pretty girl in a role, would you seriously consider somebody older, less pretty, with a dodgy voice, who needs serious makeup and wig skills to make look younger and attractive? you'd just find somebody who looked like that without all the effort. If you want a Superman character, then somebody with muscles who fills the costume is your first thought. You wouldn't consider somebody who was skinny and weedy and then tell them to go to the gym for six months. Auditioning for cast is not pleasant, but it's a skilled job. With HD and 4K, every little skin blemish is visible in closeups. Can your makeup people handle HD airbrushes? Will your lenses make their cheeks look like the surface of the moon - can your lighting people soften the lights enough to make their complexion good?

You need to look, listen and decide if they are suitable. Starting with somebody who already has been identified as having a strange voice seems a question that doesn't need asking. Funny voices and all the above 'defects' don't stop actors working. Think about all the old, fat, ugly people in movie roles - they're often very busy actors, but they don't get cast in the leading roles, do they?
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2019, 05:42 AM   #20
Inner Circle

On the basis of current information, I personally would only cast her in a small, character part.

You need to know her voice won't prove to be a distraction, so it needs to be demonstrated during another audition. Casting her on the basis she's going to "work on it" isn't the way to go, it needs to be solved before she's cast. It may as simple as her delivery being changed.
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2019, 02:48 PM   #21
also known as Ryan Wray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul R Johnson View Post
Having been involved with hundreds of auditions over the years - you are totally missing the point. It is NOT a personal thing, it's business. If you want a friend to be in your project because you like them and want them to be in it, then you overlook their deficiencies. If you are auditioning actors, singers and dancers - something I hate doing, but have to every year, then you develop blinkers and prejudices. You see people you have worked with before. You have either labelled them mentally as good to have in the production, or a pain. That makes the decision easy. For strangers, it's down to you gut reaction and skills. You must not think about the benefit to them, but to you.

Here comes the unspoken problem. In today's society, some prejudices are now just plain bad, and some illegal. However, others are VERY relevant, but probably best kept to yourself.

I'll share a few rejections - people who were determined to not be suitable - and this is not their acting, singing or dance ability - that's a separate 'test', with different criteria.

Rejections for being:
Too old
Too young
Too pretty
Too ugly
Ginger
Wrinkly
Spotty
Too short
Too tall
Too thin
Too fat
Voice too high
Voice too low
Voice just not nice to listen to
Voice annoying
Can't sing
Can't dance
Can't act
Abrasive personality
Horrible big nose
Warts
Tattoos
No eyebrows
knobbly knees
huge feet
horrible legs
huge arm muscles
huge chest and no neck
bad teeth
sticky out ears
nose studs or piercings

Probably plenty more if I had a think.

All these just make them unsuitable and nobody would dream of revealing you didn't give the job to somebody because they were ginger! Good it's in the head and the panel, if there is one are all on the same level.

It's your movie - why would you take somebody who won't fit normal clothes used as costume, who needs an hour in makeup, or needs expensive wigs. Why consider somebody with a strange voice. The fact we're even having this discussion screams you want her and want us to agree, and frankly, actors are ten a penny. If you want a pretty girl in a role, would you seriously consider somebody older, less pretty, with a dodgy voice, who needs serious makeup and wig skills to make look younger and attractive? you'd just find somebody who looked like that without all the effort. If you want a Superman character, then somebody with muscles who fills the costume is your first thought. You wouldn't consider somebody who was skinny and weedy and then tell them to go to the gym for six months. Auditioning for cast is not pleasant, but it's a skilled job. With HD and 4K, every little skin blemish is visible in closeups. Can your makeup people handle HD airbrushes? Will your lenses make their cheeks look like the surface of the moon - can your lighting people soften the lights enough to make their complexion good?

You need to look, listen and decide if they are suitable. Starting with somebody who already has been identified as having a strange voice seems a question that doesn't need asking. Funny voices and all the above 'defects' don't stop actors working. Think about all the old, fat, ugly people in movie roles - they're often very busy actors, but they don't get cast in the leading roles, do they?
Oh well this actress is not really a friend I just met her, a few weeks ago, when working on someone else's project with her in.

But I liked her performance and audition for me so far. I thought maybe I am being to hard on the voice or too picky maybe, but will it be a distraction?
Ryan Elder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2019, 02:54 PM   #22
Inner Circle

If you like her, that’s usually a good reason to give her the job, then wait 20 years and get slagged in the press! You’re the boss. If you like her voice, it’s fine.
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2019, 06:50 AM   #23
Inner Circle

I say Give her the part! Some of the best performances can be had off screen. (perks of being a casting director) ;-)
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2019, 11:00 AM   #24
Slash Rules!

Oh no you didn’t
Josh Bass is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio