Microphone for recording a round table discussion - Page 7 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old October 25th, 2016, 01:25 PM   #91
Trustee

Re: Microphone for recording a round table discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Miller View Post
John, click the thumbnail of the photo showing the bookshelf. The full-size photo clearly shows several floor registers, very skinny ones, pretty close to the window wall.
Now that you mention it, yes, long skinny registers for sure. My laptop screen resolution isn't the greatest.

Quote:
I hope that glass isn't single-pane, or that place would be a nightmare to heat. But unless the windows are fairly new, it's likely that they are.
Think you got it - single-pane or, newer thermalpane because there's no blind spots yet. The black glass frames are most likely extruded aluminum so that could put this in the early '60s and after.

Quote:
You don't get much rain in Seattle, do you? ;-)
Ahhh ... actually, .... it's not really rain, it's called Oregon mist.

Oregon mist, as in, missed Oregon and hit Washington. ;-)

There has been a lot of climate change, though, and the forest fires have been one indicator. Back in '86 the local airport weather station had measurable precip every single day of July and the asphalt parking lot of the office where I worked was actually green. Moss. In recent years the summers have become noticeably drier and homeowners have been asked not to water our lawns. This year July precip was next to zero.

I feel like part of an astronomer group analyzing some distant universe feature here.

Maybe Kathy hasn't come by because she doesn't want to divulge any more information.
John Nantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2016, 02:14 PM   #92
Inner Circle

So true. In Portland, we get about 40 inches of rain per year. Seattle gets 30 inches of mist.

If you want big rain, try Mt. Waialeale on Kauai in Hawaii. Average rainfall: 460 inches per year. If you prefer the Continental US, try Forks, WA with 120 inches - just watch out for vampires, werewolves, and young readers.

Maybe I'll start another thread on how to record rain - and mist.
Old October 31st, 2016, 01:46 PM   #93
Major Player

Sorry, I was away and just got back.
The house was built in 1941 but don't look for any clues about its design in the era it was built as it was one of a kind, unusual house, that did not draw any inspiration from the other designs from that era. I can not reveal the name of the house though.
Kathy Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2016, 11:01 AM   #94
Trustee

It looks surprisingly modern and stark for that era, at least IMHO. Certainly an uncompromising appearance.

How are you coming with the acoustical treatment? Have any decisions been made yet? There are products that would treat the long wall and ceiling and still retain the flat stark appearance. If they then add the drapery you found, on the entire window, I think they will find an amazing improvement. I think they could safely leave the fireplace wall untouched, to preserve the appearance of the wood. If there is still a long echo in the room (sound bouncing between the fireplace wall and the shelving, then they could put some books (or, better yet, fake books made from acoustical materials) on the shelves, and that should surely solve it.

I'd love to hear another recording, made with the same mics, after the treatment has been done.
Greg Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2016, 08:33 AM   #95
Major Player

Nothing has been decided. They will have time to think about it in December/January. We will discuss it then. I'll certainly report back when that happens.

Thanks for all your help.
Kathy Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2016, 09:26 AM   #96
Trustee

Thanks, Kathy! I'll keep my fingers crossed, and will hope for a successful outcome for them (and you).

Cheers!
Greg

(PS: This was posted at 11:52 AM EDT, just to compare with server time that appears on the forum.)
Greg Miller is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio