Plug-in power with Sennheiser G2? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old April 9th, 2016, 08:30 AM   #1
Major Player

Plug-in power with Sennheiser G2?

Can I plug the receiver of my Sennheiser G2 into the microphone input of the Sony MC50u without damaging it? The input on the camera supplies plug-in power that I don't think can be turned off.
If so, do I need a special cable, or can I use a standard stereo mini phone cable.
Kevin Walsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2016, 11:00 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Plug-in power with Sennheiser G2?

I don't think the low voltage bias current would damage the receiver, though it may add noise, if it does, a blocking capacitor would need to be soldered in.
A standard 3.5mm TRS>TRS (stereo) cable will not work. As I recall, the plug's ring terminal needs to be floated at the receiver end.
The mini-plug to mini-plug cable that comes with the G2/3 EK100 receiver will feed both L+R channels of the recording device.. use that, or build a custom cable.

Last edited by Rick Reineke; April 9th, 2016 at 12:37 PM.
Rick Reineke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2016, 07:01 AM   #3
Major Player

Thanks Rick, I'll have to search and see if I still have that cable. I guess it was probably a locking type.
Kevin Walsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2016, 08:37 AM   #4
Trustee

I asked a representative at a trade show, and he called back to the factory. He claimed that the Sennheiser receivers are internally DC blocked up to the full 48V phantom power without damage to the receiver. I told him that it would be a great thing to have that in writing. Perhaps something that should be stated explicitly in the manual. Considering the 2nd hand provenance, I'm not sure I have 100% confidence. I would still like to see an official statement.
Richard Crowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2016, 08:47 AM   #5
Inner Circle

I have inadvertently had Phantom Power engaged with a G2/3, no damage was done to the EK100 portable receiver or the (SD302) mixer, though it did drain the the mixer's internal AA batteries rather quickly. FWIW, the EK100's output is unbalanced.
Rick Reineke is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio