Which mic to use at a sit-down Press Conference at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old March 20th, 2014, 11:23 PM   #1
Trustee

Which mic to use at a sit-down Press Conference

Hey I'm after some info on what mic to use at a sit-down Press Conference.

I'm dealing with a wide table up to 4 guests.

Cheers

Oh I forgot to mention that I have my Zoom H4n as a backup but I need to capture into camera. Also I have a Sennheiser MD46 and a Audio Technica but these are to narrow I think
Simon Denny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2014, 04:14 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Which mic to use at a sit-down Press Conference

Ideally 4 dynamic mics like Shure SM58 or SM57 on 4 tabletop stands. If you have to split the difference with only two mics, then a pair of condensers from the Shure Gooseneck series MX12 or MX18 (they need phantom).
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2014, 05:53 AM   #3
Trustee

Will these mics also be amplified by a sound system for the audience to hear, or will they only go to the camera and/or H4n recorder?

Which camera are you using?

Do you have an audio mixer and someone to control it?
Jay Massengill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2014, 08:55 AM   #4
Inner Circle

I used to do a lot of these type gigs. (audio) Typically 5 mics, a podium and 4 at a table. .
My preferred mic was an SM57 with A55M shock mount and A2WS windscreen . Of course this was integrated with a PA system and adequate set-up time was avaiable. My recommendations would be different in a run & gun scenario. With multiple mics, a mixer w/ linear faders and/or multi-track recorder would be wanted.
Rick Reineke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2014, 09:39 AM   #5
Trustee

Are YOU actually responsible for providing the primary audio gear?
Or are you just one of many "press" coming to cover the event arranged by others?
Proper news conferences (and the like) frequently have "press boxes" which distribute pre-mixed mic-level signals so you can just plug it in directly to your camera. Some even provide "pool" video feeds as well.
Attached Images

Richard Crowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2014, 02:10 PM   #6
Trustee

Thanks Guys,

With this gig I'm just hired to shoot the press conference and I assume I can get a line out of a sound box, not sure on that yet.I can only have two mics into my camera due to the setup. There is no PA.
Yeah, maybe a couple of 58s or 57s might do the trick with the HN4 for backup.

Cheers,
Old March 21st, 2014, 04:11 PM   #7
Major Player

To do a presser well use one more mic than the number of people and place them between the people and each end rather than straight in front, this allows for people to turn their heads either toward others on the panel or the people asking the questions....
So,
1 person = 2 mics
2 persons = 3 mics
3 persons = 4 mics
4 persons = 5 mics
5 persons = 6 mics
etc
etc

The ideal mics would be condenser for 'crispness' and quietly spoken people, do not use shotgun mics as they are just to directional and emphasizes the echo in the room.
And if the questions are important then a boom pole or 2 might be needed or perhaps a roving hand held mic.

And MOST importantly monitor the microphones on a set of headphones.
Brian P. Reynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2014, 07:09 AM   #8
Trustee

Mr. Reynolds,

I don't recall seeing that approach.

Isn't it difficult to ride gain, since a given person would normally be picked up by two mics at the same time? Also, do you have phasing problems (comb filtering, actually) since two mics are live simultaneously for one person?

Maybe it's easier and works better than I imagine... as I say, I've never tried this myself, so I'm just curious.
Greg Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2014, 07:29 AM   #9
Inner Circle

That approach sounds bizarre to me as well. I've frequently used redundant mics but never both open at the same time. Phase nightmare.
Rick Reineke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2014, 10:32 AM   #10
Major Player

Why not lapel two to camera and two to Zoom and mix when editing?
Donald McPherson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2014, 01:17 PM   #11
Trustee

Just to up date, I was able to take a feed from the press box, which I normally do.

This was a low key gig to start with and then the event organisers decided to get a pro audio guy to come in and handle sound, I'm so glad that they did.
Old March 22nd, 2014, 04:18 PM   #12
Major Player

I've been doing broadcast audio for 30+ years and done hundreds of presses and a lot depends on the 'type' of conference and the subject matter, let me explain...
A motor racing / tennis / swimming presser where the people only interact with the journos then a mic straight in front of them is great but a group of people like a 'Rock' or stage 'Group' where they will interact with each other then the 'between' mic technique works MUCH better.
Mic placement is also dependant of where the journos are in relation to the interviewee/s, many of the weekly football pressers I will do have the journos in an arc spreading 150- 180 deg around the front of the table and the interviewee will turn to the person asking the question.
The 'between' technique is often used in 'chat' type panel (like post football shows) where there is lots of head turning with great success and these show go out live to air with minimal phasing problems.

Mics like this work well press mics on short stands, (and great spot FX mics)
Microphone FOR Panasonic AG MC200G HVX200 DVX100 A B AG DVC30 Digital Camera | eBay
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/4-New-Des...item4ad037c3a6
Brian P. Reynolds is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio