Connecting lav mic without phantom power at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old November 15th, 2013, 04:52 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Connecting lav mic without phantom power

Is there a lav mic I can plug into the camera that doesnt have phantom power. I tried to plug Sennheiser lav mic into my old Canon HV20 and it doesnt work. Its working only with the wireless system, but I dont need expensive wireless system when I am shooting seated interviews, so is there a solution for this? I mean solution for lav mics (I dont want to use shotgun mic etc.).
Peter Berger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2013, 06:54 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: Connecting lav mic without phantom power

There are dynamic (magnetic) microphones which do not need phantom power.
But they are rather large, and very rare to find as a clip-on lav mic.

Virtually all modern lav mics are electret which DO require power of some kind.
The most convenient way is to use plug-in power from the camera.
But if your camera doesn't provide plug-in power, then you need a self-powered lav mic.

A relatively inexpensive self-powered lav mic is....
Amazon.com: Audio-Technica ATR-3350 Lavalier Omnidirectional Condenser Microphone: Musical Instruments
Richard Crowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2013, 08:04 PM   #3
Trustee

Low cost lav mics such as the ultradisk 4016 do not need full phantom power at 48v and can work with 3-10v across the twin cable connectors. This is also known as plug in power and it is possible to build a very simple box to.provide such power as per the radio shack pzm mics from the 80's.

Search for ultradisk 4016 and you will hear examples of these mics that can be used direct with radio mics or with a power box like the one that akg make.
Old November 15th, 2013, 08:15 PM   #4
Trustee

+1 on what Richard said. I have one of these for videos on my Nikon D7000, have also used it with a field mixer, quality and sensitivity are
pretty amazing considering the price. Just don't get the battery in backwards, it will still work but very badly, and some people have thought the mike was faulty because of this. And DON"T plug it into phantom power. Don't ask how I know this.
Battle Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2013, 03:10 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks, I will probably try that Audio Technica lav.
Peter Berger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2013, 03:30 AM   #6
Trustee

A low cost dual lav solution for DSLR's etc would be to get one of these: http://www.akg.com/B29+L-779.html?pid=113

and two of these and off you go: http://www.uket.co.uk/ultradisk-4016...ier-microphone

The AKG is around £50 and will provide mixing and power facilities for two mics, the 3.5mm jack output is also DSLR and smaller camera friendly but they also do version with XLR output: http://www.thomann.de/gb/akg_b29l.htm

This will give you a system ideal for interviews as you have two lav mics but you can still adjust the levels before you feed your camera and all for less than £100.
Old November 18th, 2013, 08:51 AM   #7
Inner Circle

The Ulltradisk 4016 is a unidirectional lav mic which is subject to volume drop-outs from 'head turns', wind, cable noise, proximity and other unwanted abnormalities. An omnidirectional is usually preferable.. unless it is being used in conjunction with live sound system where feedback is an issue.
Rick Reineke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2013, 09:46 AM   #8
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Reineke View Post
The Ulltradisk 4016 is a unidirectional lav mic which is subject to volume drop-outs from 'head turns', wind, cable noise, proximity and other unwanted abnormalities. An omnidirectional is usually preferable.. unless it is being used in conjunction with live sound system where feedback is an issue.
They say they are unidirectional but I have found them to work fine upside down and they are not very directional at all, here is a clip of two being used last week:

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio