Where did this clipping come from? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old May 9th, 2012, 11:55 AM   #1
Major Player

Where did this clipping come from?

I was borrowing a Tascam DR100 recorder, and decided to test it out side by side with my Tascam DR-05 recorder that I normally use. Strangely I got some audible clipping in the DR100 recording but not the DR-05 recording, even though neither went above about -3db. I can't figure out what caused it, curious if others have ideas. The original recording files are attached.

The clipping happens at about :50 into the dr100 recording (about :52 into the dr-05 recording) when the actor says "Si por regado" (pardon the english-speaking actors butchering the spanish... this is a dream sequence :-)

The recordings were done with a Sanken cs-3e boom mic, fed into a SD Mixpre, which fed the DR-05 though tape output (consumer line level), and fed the DR100 through the line level XLR outputs. The DR100 recording ended up a little bit hotter (even though I turned the level down to zero, the SD has nice and hot outputs), but not hot enough to go into recorder clipping, unless I'm missing something.

I checked now and the switches on the DR100 were: Mic gain: M, Auto/Limiter: Off, 48V: off, Speaker: off. Front panel input switch set to XLR. Record settings menu: Wav 48k/24bit/2G. Pre-rec: off, delay: off.

The only thing I can think of is that there is some defect in the SD mixpre line level outputs that doesn't effect the tape outs. I do normally use the tape outs instead of XLR line outs. But that seems very unlikely to be the cause... any ideas?
Tom Morrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2012, 12:28 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Where did this clipping come from?

Sorry, the upload of the files failed since they are too big, and I don't have time to trim right now so I will post trimmed versions probably this evening.
Old May 9th, 2012, 12:39 PM   #3
Inner Circle

were the 100 inputs set to mic or line?

Ty Ford
Ty Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2012, 12:54 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Same question as Ty: "were the 100 inputs set to mic or line?"
Mic level probably, if Tom was using a 1st gen. DR-100, the XLRs were not mic/line switchable..
The DR-100 has a separate 1/8" line in (unbalanced -10dB) I think the DR-100mkII is like the DR40, with a mic/line switch.
Rick Reineke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2012, 03:28 PM   #5
Major Player

Aha... I think you guys have nailed it.

I was misusing the XLR mic inputs by feeding them a line signal. That would explain why I had to turn the level dial down to 0 and still got a slightly hot signal. In theory this should not be a problem, but I suspect the analog circuitry in the DR100 overloaded at some stage before it got to the ADC.

Next time I suppose I'd use an XLR->TR plug with some pads to get the levels matched if I had to use the DR100 with the Mixpre, but it'd be better just to go with the dr100mk2 version which supports line in.

Lesson learned: if a gain dial is either all the way up or all the way down, something needs to be fixed.
Old May 9th, 2012, 04:09 PM   #6
Inner Circle

I almost did it to myself today at a new client's. I was feeding little hard drive video decks. I didn't even know they had a headphone out until we were rolling. I had sent tone everything looked ok. I was sending line level from my mixer.

I was suddenly gripped by the thought that I had never confirmed mic or line level on the deck.

I found a headphone jacks and breathed a sigh of relief as I heard audio that was not distorted.

The take away message is: ALWAYS LISTEN!

Regards,

Ty Ford
Ty Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2012, 10:29 PM   #7
Major Player

Just for completeness, here are the two recordings, shortened down so you just hear the clipped part.

I've tried a lot of recorders, but still haven't found a bag-friendly, reasonably priced recorder that I like. The DR100 does have a nice wired remote with recording LED that makes it more bag-friendly, but you still can't see the display with file number (or meter) in a bag.
Attached Files
File Type: wav dr100_shortened.wav (1.26 MB, 102 views)
File Type: wav dr05_shortened.wav (1.26 MB, 113 views)
Tom Morrow is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio