Can wired lavs be hooked up to mic processors? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old January 12th, 2012, 03:55 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Re: Can wired lavs be hooked up to mic processors?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve House View Post
Certainly true. But both of the aforementioned mics are available in versions equipped with an 48p power supply/ XLR connection intended for hard-wired applications instead of feeding a wireless transmitter so I'm assuming that is what he's planning to purchase and his question is actually "is it appropriate to use a signal processor inline with a hard-wired lav mic?"
That is exactly what I am wondering. In a TV/radio show I work on, we use standard radio mics (EV-re20) hooked up to the dbx-286a processor I mentioned previously. We are trying to transition to using more of a TV-studio look and are looking at wired lavs as possible alternatives.

Here is a clip of what our show currently looks like: Taxes = Investments in USA, Indefinite Detention = Imprisonment without Trial - YouTube
I'm not really sure how a low-budget wired lav like the AT-899 would sound compared to this; any ideas would be appreciated.
Natan Pakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2012, 05:35 PM   #17
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natan Pakman View Post
That is exactly what I am wondering. In a TV/radio show I work on, we use standard radio mics (EV-re20) hooked up to the dbx-286a processor I mentioned previously. We are trying to transition to using more of a TV-studio look and are looking at wired lavs as possible alternatives.

Here is a clip of what our show currently looks like: Taxes = Investments in USA, Indefinite Detention = Imprisonment without Trial - YouTube

I'm not really sure how a low-budget wired lav like the AT-899 would sound compared to this; any ideas would be appreciated.
LOL when you said "radio mics" most of the folks here would assume you were referring to wireless lav systems. The RE-20 is an industry standard radio studio mic in North America but wouldn't generally be referred to as a "radio mic" in film/video circles. At any rate, I think you could go either way for the sort of show you're doing - either sweetening your audio on the fly as you record or doing it later in post and your choice of mic won't affect that. My earlier advice to do it in post still holds. But I sort of like the visual effect of the RE-20 there on the desk, kind of like Larry King or Howard Stern and there's nothing wrong with that mic as far as the sound you can get from it. Johnny Carson's trademark RCA ribbon desk mic was actually a prop most of the time but added visual interest to the set.
Old January 13th, 2012, 08:43 AM   #18
Regular Crew

The studio-mic-on-the-desk effect is one factor, but we may change the general layout of the studio and the host may be standing up and moving around a bit, in which case a lapel mic might be better. I might be getting one of these wired lavs for some field work, and then we can try it out in the studio.
Natan Pakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2012, 09:51 AM   #19
Trustee

Consider using "headset" microphones. They keep the microphone optimally positioned no matter what the talent is doing. Again, the Rode headset microphone features the same replaceable cable and interchangeable connectors. (In case you decide that wireless would be more convenient for moving about.) I am very happy with mine. I have a Rode lav and a Rode headset mic.

RODE Microphones - HS1-B
Richard Crowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2012, 10:50 AM   #20
Major Player

Not sure if this helps, and I've never used a Rode product, but I do have one A-T 899 (omni), five A-T 831R (cardiod), and 5 Shure SM-11 (omni) lavs.(The A-T 899 is my favorite).

I run them directly into either an HMC-150, an HVX-200, a 4-mic JuicedLink mixer on a DVC-20P, a Shure M367 field mixer, or a Soundcraft EPM-8. The A-T lavs have always worked fine with Phantom power whether connected directly to the cameras or the mixers. The SM-11s are dynamic, and I've been underwhelmed with their performance.
Our actions are based on our own experience and knowledge. Thus, no one is ever totally right, nor totally wrong. We simply act from what we "know" to be true, based on that experience and knowledge. Beyond that, we pose questions to others.
Denis Danatzko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2012, 09:06 AM   #21
Regular Crew

I ordered 2 AT-899s so we'll see how they do.
Natan Pakman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio