Zoom H4n alternatives (with XLR in) - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old October 12th, 2011, 01:31 PM   #16
Trustee

Re: Zoom H4n alternatives (with XLR in)

Wow! That R-26 looks really interesting. I've got the Sony D50 and have to say that I haven't found a handheld recorder that rivals it in sound quality yet (except for it's big brother the D1). If this sounds as good but adds the features it may be time for another upgrade.

Guy, have you had a chance to do a direct comparison between the Sony D50 and Roland R-26 yet? I'd be very interested to hear the results.

Thanks,
Garrett
Old October 12th, 2011, 04:52 PM   #17
DVCreators.Net

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Liebergot View Post
Now I have been fairly happy with my H4n, but after hearing the examples of the Roland R-26, all I can say is WOW!
Now this was recorded in a sound stage, but still the fullness of the X/Y + Omni mics are rather impressive. I might have to pickup one of these and sell off my H4n after hearing these examples. I can especially see the Roland R-26 coming in handy for my band recordings.

BTW Guy, can the Roland R-26 record using the XLR inputs and the built in mics as well?
Yes, absolutely. There are 12 ways to record with a combination of XY, Omni, XLR, and Plug-in (1/8")
See it in action R-26 Portable Recorder: Introduction part 2 - YouTube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett Low View Post
Wow! That R-26 looks really interesting. I've got the Sony D50 and have to say that I haven't found a handheld recorder that rivals it in sound quality yet (except for it's big brother the D1). If this sounds as good but adds the features it may be time for another upgrade.

Guy, have you had a chance to do a direct comparison between the Sony D50 and Roland R-26 yet? I'd be very interested to hear the results.

Thanks,
Garrett
Currently I no longer have the Sony PCM-D50. If you would like to put up some samples, I'll send you a loaner unit.

By the way...DVeStore just got the first 10 units in the US today.
Anyone that wants one, fee free to order away and use your "dvinfo" coupon code
Roland R-26 Portable Recorder
Old October 13th, 2011, 09:41 AM   #18
Trustee

Hi Guy,

I would love to do some direct AB comparisons and throw up some samples. Unfortunately I'm in the middle of production on an ultra low budget indie film and won't be able to get to it until after end of the month. I'll contact you once I get a few minutes of clear time in my schedule an if you haven't already gotten some D50 vs. R-26 comparison I'll do it.

BTW, received the DR-680 last night and just started to dig into it. Very nice recorder so far. I'll see if I can sneak it into our audio chain on this weekend's shoot to give it some field testing. I'll be providing a complete review after I collect some samples and have some time getting use to it.

Thanks,
Garrett
Old October 13th, 2011, 03:31 PM   #19
DVCreators.Net

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett Low View Post
Hi Guy,

I would love to do some direct AB comparisons and throw up some samples. Unfortunately I'm in the middle of production on an ultra low budget indie film and won't be able to get to it until after end of the month. I'll contact you once I get a few minutes of clear time in my schedule an if you haven't already gotten some D50 vs. R-26 comparison I'll do it.

BTW, received the DR-680 last night and just started to dig into it. Very nice recorder so far. I'll see if I can sneak it into our audio chain on this weekend's shoot to give it some field testing. I'll be providing a complete review after I collect some samples and have some time getting use to it.

Thanks,
Garrett
Awesome - this offer is open to anyone here on DVinfo.net. If you have a Sony PCM-D50 and would like to put up some comparisons, DVeStore will loan you a Roland R-26.

Garrett- glad to here that you received the DR-680. That seems to be a pretty popular recorder in the over $500 category. Not sure where else you can find an 8 channel recorder for well under $1,000. I look forward to hearing some samples from your project. BTW, have seen the Buman mod? BUSMAN AUDIO - modifications Chad has video up. The specs make it look like a worthwhile endeavor.
Old October 14th, 2011, 06:13 PM   #20
Regular Crew

If anyone knows, from the 6 separate channels that you can record, would that be including two from the 1/8' in?

or would it be the 4 on board mics and the two XLR..

thanks,
GLB
Gary Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2011, 06:47 PM   #21
DVCreators.Net

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Lee View Post
If anyone knows, from the 6 separate channels that you can record, would that be including two from the 1/8' in?

or would it be the 4 on board mics and the two XLR..

thanks,
GLB
Hi Gary Lee,

Here is the actual screen of the Roland R-26. You can indeed have 2 channels in the Plug-in powered mic 1/8" mini plug input as well as the XLR/1/4" plus the XY mics in 6 channel mode.

The 2nd image is 4 channel mode.

Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Zoom H4n alternatives (with XLR in)-photo.jpg   Zoom H4n alternatives (with XLR in)-photo2.jpg  

Old October 14th, 2011, 06:53 PM   #22
Regular Crew

Thanks, now help me with the drooling.....

GLB
Gary Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2011, 02:56 PM   #23
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Cochran View Post
Awesome - this offer is open to anyone here on DVinfo.net. If you have a Sony PCM-D50 and would like to put up some comparisons, DVeStore will loan you a Roland R-26.
Hi Guy,

I own a D-50 and would be interested in doing a comparison but live in the UK which could be a problem?

Geoff
Geoffrey Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2011, 04:15 PM   #24
DVCreators.Net

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoffrey Cox View Post
Hi Guy,

I own a D-50 and would be interested in doing a comparison but live in the UK which could be a problem?

Geoff
Hi Geoffrey,

DVeStore would be happy to ship you a demo Roland R-26 provided that you report back with some nice samples for the audio forum here. I'll even pay the shipping to the UK.

Send me a PM with your address and we'll get one on the way. It won't be my fault if you fall in love with it and want to keep it though!
Old October 19th, 2011, 08:36 PM   #25
Trustee

Guy,

Nice review on the DR-40,
I'm currently a H4N user and I'm not satisfied with its power consumption. Its a battery power hog.

How does the DR-40 compare, does it go a long way on batteries?
Old October 19th, 2011, 11:24 PM   #26
Inner Circle

Most anything is a battery hog while delivering phantom power. Have you tried the H4n with and without phantom, Ted? I've tested H4n audio, but I didn't have it long enough to do battery consumption tests.
Old October 19th, 2011, 11:30 PM   #27
Trustee

Yes I have Jon and its improved. When I first got my H4N, i just plopped in common energizerswhich seem to drain in say, 15-20 minutes with phantom.

It improved when I used high mAh batteries for flashes AND switching to stamina mode.

Stamina mode however removes certain features from the h4n.

My friend, returned his H4n and replaced it with a DR-100 and says its much better power wise.

So I'm interested how the DR-40 stacks up in that area since its cheaper.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio