Which shotgun mic? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old May 3rd, 2011, 10:16 AM   #16
Regular Crew

Re: Which shotgun mic?

BTW - sorry for veering this post OT.

To offer input on Brian's initial question, I'd recommend the CS3e as well, great mic. I've had mine for over a year now and been really happy with it, aside from the self noise (not such an issue on most exteriors). I have noticed the self noise come up a bit after being out in humid conditions but that could also be tired ears at the end of the day. Best thing about the CS3e above all of the other options you mentioned is that it would probably behave much better indoors.

For wind protection, I'd always opt for better wind protection rather than marginal. When you are in a spot where the situation gets bad unexpectedly it's really the difference between good and totally unusable. A softie can work at times but other times just more worthwhile to throw the zep/fuzzy on and be done with it...the full Rycote windshield kit is wonderful.
Dan Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2011, 06:01 PM   #17
Regular Crew

I've been shooting with the Sennheiser ME66/K6 for over twenty years and I love it. It's never let me down, and quite often amazed me.
Michael Kinney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2011, 05:11 AM   #18
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Ostroff View Post
Yes - sorry - the B5D. It's a bit more than a foam windscreen with the internal plastic structure, gives some more air than a traditional foam windscreen does.
The windshield supplied with the MKH 8000 series is also not a normal foam windshield.

It has the normal fine foam on the outside and coarser more open foam on the inside (you can feel it with your finger).

Wind protection is purely down to the volume of still air you can trap round the microphone - the larger the volume, the better the protection.
Old May 4th, 2011, 07:41 AM   #19
Major Player

What about the Neumann 81i/82i?
Philip Fass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2011, 05:48 PM   #20
Major Player

I've always found the Neumann shotgun mics sound dull and flat compared to the 416.

Anyway decision has been made [why I stared the thread] phone calls from 3 different local / interstate clients ALL specifying the 416 for their shoots.
Brian P. Reynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2011, 08:25 AM   #21
Major Player

I'm curious, is this a general impression or have you literally compared the 416 and Neumanns with other variables controlled?
Philip Fass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2011, 02:00 PM   #22
Major Player

I was for 20+ years employed by a broadcast TV station the OB and location crews had access to a vast array of microphones from Sennheiser 416/ 816, MKH 60 / 70, Neumann 82's, Audio Technica, Sony with Rycote or Sennheiser blimps and they were able to use whatever they wanted. I was often surprised that from approx 10 sound guys the Neumanns were consistently the last to be used. Even the long Audio Technica shot gun mics were used before the Neumanns on OB'S [mainly for the directional pattern and extra reach]
I've now been working totally freelance for several years now and haven't seen a single Neumann of any type from any of the production companies and networks I work for.

Last edited by Brian P. Reynolds; May 5th, 2011 at 03:43 PM.
Brian P. Reynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2011, 08:42 AM   #23
Major Player

The Neumann 81i and 82i are, in fact, extremely nice mics. I actually have an 81i (almost 30 years old now).

They are not used so much because people forget about them and only think of Neumann as a company that produce studio mics.

They do sound different from the Sennheisers though, and if you are used to a 416 you might find the transition difficult. Also they are not RF condensers like the Sennheiser MKH series are and therefore not so good in damp conditions.
Old May 8th, 2011, 12:52 AM   #24
Regular Crew

I purchased the Sanken CS3e about a year ago after a lot of research and comparisons. I primarily use it indoors in a controlled interview setting. Matter of act I used it today in just such a situation. As has been mentioned it's expensive but I'm very happy with my investment. I'll have the opportunity to use it outdoors later this year and I'm anxious to hear the results.
Robert McGowan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio