XLR inputs on camera vs. Marantz PMD670 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old May 12th, 2005, 10:39 AM   #1
Major Player

XLR inputs on camera vs. Marantz PMD670

Hey all,

So I’m going to be purchasing the JVC HD100 camera. Here’s the thing. I own the FX1 right now and it has no XLR inputs so I went out and purchased the Marantz PMD670 Compact Flash recorder. Now that I’m getting the HD100 which does have 2 XLR inputs w/ phantom power, my question is, do I still need the PMD670? I know that when I shot with the FX1 that it was nice to not have the sound guy all connected to the camera man because we were totally separate. But would that now be the only advantage to keep that or would the sound quality from the Marantz be better than what I could get from the HD100?
Adam Rench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2005, 11:41 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Rench
Hey all,

So I’m going to be purchasing the JVC HD100 camera. Here’s the thing. I own the FX1 right now and it has no XLR inputs so I went out and purchased the Marantz PMD670 Compact Flash recorder. Now that I’m getting the HD100 which does have 2 XLR inputs w/ phantom power, my question is, do I still need the PMD670? I know that when I shot with the FX1 that it was nice to not have the sound guy all connected to the camera man because we were totally separate. But would that now be the only advantage to keep that or would the sound quality from the Marantz be better than what I could get from the HD100?
No, you don't need the Marantz - pack it up and send it to me at the following address just as soon as you can LOL

Actually, having the ability to record wild sound, room tone, additional tracks besides the in-camera pair, and to record double system sound using traditional film-style techniques seems a good thing to me. Consider what you could do with the on-camera mike recording a reference track while the Marantz is recording additi1onal synch'ed tracks
Steve House is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2005, 11:46 AM   #3
Major Player

Yes, those are very good pros. I was thinking that I could sell the Marantz get like 500 for it or so and then spend that on some lights or something, but I think you are right. I could get two recordings and then take the best of either.

Good plan. :)
Adam Rench is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio