Advice Needed for Stereo Recording Methods - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old December 11th, 2009, 11:49 AM   #16
Major Player

Steve, I use two relatively inexpensive small diaphragm condenser mikes in an ORTF pair for this type of thing and have gotten good results.

I use the AT 3031 which are apparently no longer made, but in check that, I saw that B&H has a special until 12/13/09 on the 4021, **half price**, $190 rather than $360. So you could pick up a pair for the price of one, not a bad deal. The 3031's were 'budget mikes' and sounded pretty good ... I haven't checked any reviews on the 4021's but if you want more flexibility than a single X/Y mike, you might want to look into this. (e.g. sometimes I'll use a single 3031 on my camera for an ambiance track where needed to augment other mikes).

Audio-Technica | AT4021 Small-Diaphragm Cardioid | AT4021 | B&H

I also use the following as a mike holder for ORTF... $60, so it's not a killer, but if budget is tight, you could study the ORTF specs and probably make something that matches:

shure a27m

good luck / hope this helps!
Dave Stern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2009, 12:35 PM   #17
Inner Circle

To add M/S stereo capabilities with one's existing mics - cardioid, hyper, or shotgun - you might consider the Ambient Emesser miniature figure-8 mic that clamps on top of the mid mic. I haven't tried one yet but it really looks intriguing. Ambient Products Emesser

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio