Technica 822 Settings? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old August 29th, 2004, 07:53 AM   #1
Major Player

graham jones senior

Sorry if this is a dull query, but neither the literature (online or in package) explains. I have an Audio Technica 822 - great mic...

Three settings:

OFF

___

___
/

I don't know the difference between the latter two.

Ta.

Graham
Graham Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2004, 11:37 AM   #2

Audio Technica Roll-off

The / setting you see is for a bass rolloff. If you choose the _ setting, then the mic is processed with no adjustment to the frequencies. If you select the / setting, bass frequencies are gently rolled off at around 80-100Hz. I don't know the rolloff frequency on that particular mic.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2004, 12:42 PM   #3
Trustee

From the AT website page for the 822, it's 150 Hz, 6 dB per octave. That's a pretty high starting point for a bass rolloff. You'll need to be certain you really want to rob that much bass. This mic and the 825 are very sensitive to wind noise and the original foam that comes with the mics is pretty ineffective. Because of this you may have to use the rolloff even though it starts at a fairly high frequency. All you can do is listen for yourself while setting up to record.
Here's the link to the pdf specs of that mic:
http://www.audiotechnica.com/prodpro/addinfo/AT822_english.pdf
Jay Massengill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2004, 01:11 PM   #4
Major Player

I had read that very pdf - and my hard copy packaged - but it said only OFF, FLAT, ROLL OFF and because of my ignorance about audio I didn't know...

Thanks, I get it know. Also for the comment about the wind. I was testing yesterday (with my JVC GR-PD1) and had one or two brief instances of wind. There are three options I have for dealing with it.

Firstly, I can use the WIND CUT function on the camera. I'm worried this might reduce the sound quality. The manual says: 'The quality of the sound will change. This is normal'....

Secondly, I could use the foam provided with the AT 822 which you say isn't effective.

Thirdly, I could use ROLL OFF.

For the purposes of audio, I'm shooting a documentary.

Any comments on that would be appreciated.
Old August 29th, 2004, 01:33 PM   #5

If you use the foam cover provided, might I suggest covering it in silk. Foam on cloth sounds like sandpaper, and is rarely a good practice. The windscreen doesn't do much either.
Unless absolutely nothing else is available, DON'T use the mic on the camera. That mic is useless. Even a $5.00 mic near the subject is better than a high dollar mic 10' away from the subject.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2004, 02:55 PM   #6
Major Player

No, I'm not planning to use the camera's mic now that I have an 822. I just thought the WIND CUT feature would apply to an attached mic too.

Might try silk.

Thanks.
Old August 29th, 2004, 05:20 PM   #7
Major Player

Rycote makes a cover for those mics.I would advise not using that mic mounted on cam its going to pickup every single sound around it - camera noise operater noise etc.
Matt Stahley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2004, 06:21 PM   #8
Trustee

As matt says Rycote make a furry cover that will attach over the supplied foam windscreen.
Rycote Mini Windjammer

I don't think you want the full zeplin, those run about $600 complete with mount. The Mini Windjamers are around $50

The Mini windjammer as shown for the 822 at B&H is $50 (click)
Old August 29th, 2004, 11:15 PM   #9
Major Player

the bass roll-off... does that cut wind? Obviously you're rolling off a lot more than just wind... but any comments on the extent to which it is successful in that respect?
Old August 29th, 2004, 11:17 PM   #10
Major Player

what I mean is: if I was to use that ant-wind measure, is it very reliable, or would I still get wind sometimes
Old August 29th, 2004, 11:19 PM   #11
Major Player

what I mean is: if I was to use that anti-wind measure, is it very reliable, or would I still get wind sometimes
Old August 29th, 2004, 11:51 PM   #12
Trustee

The roll off will help but the windjammer over the foam windscreen is the way to go.
Old August 30th, 2004, 01:01 AM   #13
Trustee

Grahamn, what anti-wind measure? If you mean in general yes it will help but it's not going to saev you if you're in a hurricane.

Aaron
Old August 30th, 2004, 12:52 PM   #14
Wrangler

A blimp or one of the shorty wind covers with fur will work up to about 30-40 mph winds with no problems. The shorty covers don't cover the rear of the microphone, so sometimes the wind will make the microphone cable vibrate and that is picked up by the microphone.

If you use a wireless plug-on transmitter that problem goes away or if you use a blimp that fully encloses the microphone and cable.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio