A definitevely comparison between Sony UWP-C1 and Sennheiser Evolution G2 ??? - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old January 24th, 2006, 02:40 AM   #31
Regular Crew

which lav is supplies with sony uwp system?

when sony first came out with this - i think it was about 1.5 years ago, i listened to the supplied lousy mic they demoed. it was not the ecm-44, but i forget what it was. i was thinking that if i got this system i might need to upgrade the mic but not sure what would be best for about $100. i'm using the ecm-44 lav for years and i thought it was good, so maybe i'd upgrade to that, unless someone has a better suggestion. for my purposes i want omnidirectional. for interviews, docs, events, weddings, misc.
Chris Gorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2006, 03:58 AM   #32
Trustee

I used the Sony UWP C1 last year for a major project, and found the system to be very good indeed, and would recommend it to anyone. Not as good, or as well built as the superb Sony 800-series that I now use, but the UWP wireless mic system is still a great product.
Old May 2nd, 2006, 07:48 AM   #33
Major Player

Still Undecided!

I have been reading through this thread, but am still not sure which of the two is the better option!

I know some of you suggested ATW portable systems, but they are apparently not yet available in Australia (as they do not YET meet our strict electrical standards), so I can cross them off my list...

Is there a definite answer or are they both as good as each other and it's simply up to personal preference?

FYI: Australian Pricing of the two to [possibly] help with comparison:

Sony UWPC1 UHF Wireless Lapel Mic System $869.00
Sennheiser ew 112-p G2 Wireless Lapel Mic System $990.00

Chris!
Chris Hocking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2006, 10:39 AM   #34
Major Player

I'm pondering more or less the same question Chris : the sony or the Sennheiser.
I was leaning Sony's way, but thinking about it, the ew-100p (as opposed to the ew112p) system appeals as it has the SKP100 plug-on transmitter which will turn any mic with an XLR socket into a wireless mic. (i guess you could use it with a mic-jack too with the appropriate XLR-to-minijack convertor.

I just think that SKP100 could be enormously useful, and it's just USD100 more than the ew112 system. (systems are otherwise the same i think).

Take a listen/look to this demo (starring Guy Cochran!) using a Rode NT3 with that SKP100 :
http://dvcreators.net/products/indoormic_movieframe.htm
Stu Holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2006, 06:20 PM   #35
Major Player

Reply to Stu...

Thanks for your reply Stu. It's such a tough decision! My instinct tells me Sennheiser would make better audio products than Sony. The fact that Sony is pretty much "giving away" these kits with Z1P sales nowdays makes me think that maybe no one buying them because they're not up to scratch. I think I'm going to have to test drive both products myself. At this stage, Sennheiser is at the top of my list. I'll also have a look at that link... Cheers!

Chris!
Old May 2nd, 2006, 06:25 PM   #36

Can't speak for sales in Oz, but can tell you the UWP is an outstanding wireless. In managed wireless zones, have had far fewer problems with the Sony than with the Sennheiser. At the LVCC last week, the Sony ran with no problems in 3 different rooms, the G2 wouldn't function in two of the rooms. Place is a wireless nightmare though.
Nothing cheap about the UWP at all, unless you get the cruddy mic that they do have available. (Can't remember the part number off the top of my head)
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2006, 06:42 PM   #37
Major Player

Reply to Douglas...

That's really surprising Douglas! I would have never guessed that a Sony audio product would out perform a Sennheiser product! So I guess your recommendation would be a Sennheiser kit over a Sony kit?

Yes, I guess the wireless system is only as good as the mic you use. I have a Shure lapel mic (not sure which model - has a 4-pin connector if that helps) - would it be compadible with the Sony transmitters?

Chris!
Old May 2nd, 2006, 06:57 PM   #38

you can make almost any mic work on most any wireless, for the most part.
Bear in mind, the performance of the Sony was here in the US, can't comment on what might work better down unda. You have to have the antenna's upside down, right?
Seriously, I did a shoot at Lion Island (NSW) with David Hague of VideoCamera, and the Sony worked great there. I had an AT 899 configured for the Sony. Didn't take the Senn down with me, so can't compare. As far as audio quality, I don't imagine there is much difference in the companders, and that's where it really counts, overall.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2006, 07:30 PM   #39
Major Player

Reply to Douglas...

Well if there's not any difference between their audio quality, then I guess it's just a matter of what looks the best, has the most appropriate connectors for your situation, cost, etc...

If the sound quality is THE SAME for both then I think the Sony is obviously the better option...

Chris!
Chris Hocking is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio