Adapter / Preamp Question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old January 29th, 2009, 05:13 PM   #1
New Boot

Adapter / Preamp Question

Does anyone have any idea whether or not

Camcorder XLR Audio Adapter/Preamp: Buy Direct and Save - CX471

is better than

BeachTek DXA-6vu Phantom Adapter

I know it "says" it is, but has anyone here actually used either of these?
Sheldon Steere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2009, 05:27 PM   #2
New Boot

There also seems to be the options of the Zoom H4 and the Zoom H4n

http://zoomh4.net/

would anyone recommend any of these 3 options for feature film recording?
Sheldon Steere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2009, 06:29 PM   #3
Inner Circle

I own the JuicedLink CX431 adapter and found it to be very good, a rugged product that performed as advertised. I haven't personally A/B tested it against the Beachtek but I found it quite acceptable and I very much like the fact that each input channel can be sent to either the left, right, or both output channels. In that respect it is a true mixer. And just so you'll know where I'm coming from ... as my full-blown, goto mixer I own a Sound Devices 442 and yet I would not hestitate to pull out Juicy for non-critical work when it's appropriate to the job. Whether I would select it to use for my primary audio shooting a feature, that I wouldn't do ... but I'd say the same about Beach. Audio is so critical when shooting for theatrical or broadcast that you really need the control a full-fledged mixer provides.
Old January 29th, 2009, 06:41 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Steve House:

So this question comes up in my mind. I have an FX1 or other camcorder with mini plug. You say it is better to run a separate mixer. Ignoring the fact for the moment that we really would be looking a double sound system for maximum sound potential, how do you best get the 442 output into the camera. Don't you end up running through the XLR adapter anyway. I have been doing that with a beachteck and Sign Eng 44 mixer, and notice that the two can sometimes interact to create a problem. ( I recognize the Sign is not what you would use, but wonder how you handle the general issue.)
Old January 29th, 2009, 08:36 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Barcellos View Post
Steve House:

So this question comes up in my mind. I have an FX1 or other camcorder with mini plug. You say it is better to run a separate mixer. Ignoring the fact for the moment that we really would be looking a double sound system for maximum sound potential, how do you best get the 442 output into the camera. Don't you end up running through the XLR adapter anyway. I have been doing that with a beachteck and Sign Eng 44 mixer, and notice that the two can sometimes interact to create a problem. ( I recognize the Sign is not what you would use, but wonder how you handle the general issue.)
No, no Beach or Juiced style XLR adapter needed. I would set the ouput level of my 442 to mic and I have the stereo version of these cables Remote Audio: DV Cam Cables to feed mixer output to the camera if mini is the only option. One of the advantages of the 442 is you can select your choice of mic, -10dBv line, or +4dBu line for the output level. Of course one gets best results sending line from the mixer to a line level input on the camera.
Old January 30th, 2009, 07:16 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Steve, curious as to what the advantages are for the Juicedlink over just using a passive XLR adapter. Does it really improve the s/n ratio that much?
Marco Leavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2009, 07:56 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco Leavitt View Post
Steve, curious as to what the advantages are for the Juicedlink over just using a passive XLR adapter. Does it really improve the s/n ratio that much?
To my ears it's quieter in the online demos but I don't have a Beach for a direct comparison. More importantly, each input channel has a pan switch allowing you to route it left, right, or centre.
Old January 30th, 2009, 08:02 AM   #8
Inner Circle

I would guess that it would depend a lot on how hot the mic is. A good passive XLR adapter will also allow you to route the signal left, right or center.
Marco Leavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2009, 09:43 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco Leavitt View Post
I would guess that it would depend a lot on how hot the mic is. A good passive XLR adapter will also allow you to route the signal left, right or center.
I don't recall the Beach offering that
Old January 30th, 2009, 10:23 AM   #10
Inner Circle

I haven't used the Beachtek adapters, but am familiar with the SignVideo and Studio 1 versions. They have a switch that lets you select between dual mono or stereo. To select the channel you simply set it to stereo and plug into which ever input you want. To be fair, I guess that's not as convenient as having a left, right, center switch on each input. The faders are smoothly adjustable as well, so you can ride them if you need to. I have been puzzled about the usefulness of those JuicedLink boxes, but the fact that you like them says a lot.
Marco Leavitt is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio