Sound Proofing a Cooler? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old October 20th, 2008, 04:52 AM   #1
Major Player

Sound Proofing a Cooler?

I need an idea for sound proofing a very noisy battery source. Its the size of a brick with a car lighter adapter. The lead acid battery is also the size of a brick. I put them in a foam cooler but its still real noisy plus a little vibration.

The cooler is real big so I could build a room within a room with it I suppose. I'd rather make it as small and as portable as possible. I'm not sure what kind of sound proofing materials to use or how to go about it.

"Talk is cheap unless you have a lot of audio toys"
Scott Routt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2008, 06:00 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Be very careful wrapping or closing a lead acid battery up to deaden its sound inside a cooler. After some time the heat could be a problem and you wouldn't know it till too late.

Why not try adding longer cables to the battery and relocating the cooler just out of range.

But what brand of battery makes such a noise and vibration inside a cooler to be a nuisance? What voltage is it and what are you powering with it? Maybe it's faulty?

Cheers.
Allan Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2008, 06:31 AM   #3
Major Player

Thanks Alan, a long extension cord would do the trick. Its a Bescor battery, but it doesn't make noise. The noise is from AC/DC inverter made by PowerLine. Its suppose to provide power from a car's cigarette lighter. I'm using it with a battery to power a TV. I doubt I'll use it much, but it would be nice to have in a pinch if I want to use a field monitor and can't get to a power source.

"Talk is cheap unless you have a lot of audio toys"
Scott Routt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2008, 08:35 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Presumably your monitor doesn't have a 12VDC socket. A shame, 'cos if it's a big one, then it probably transforms down from mains and rectifies to 12V within itself! If it is of lower voltage and uses an external mains transformer and rectifier to, say 6V DC or less, you could use a DC to DC converter from your battery and avoid the noisy, inefficient, hot and spiky wave form producing inverter!
N.
Nick Flowers is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio