Which to buy first? MHK-60 or Schoeps cmc641 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old February 1st, 2008, 02:54 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Which to buy first? MHK-60 or Schoeps cmc641

After reading a number threads on this site, reading articles that have been linked to and talking to some sales people I have been persuaded to spend a bit more money on a mic. I need something for doing documentary work (interviews, capturing moments on the fly) for both inside and outside un-controlled environments. The mic would be on a boom, with a rycote and stabilizers operated by a pro or semi-pro.

I know should have a number of microphones in my stable for different situations and I plan and purchasing some more down the road. But at this point in time I can only afford one. I'd rather buy one good one now and try to use it as an all-around mic then buy two crappy microphones now and upgrade twice later.

My question to everyone is this, which would make a better all-around mic for my purposes? A MHK-60 or a Schoeps cmc641? Or any other suggestions?
Jesse Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2008, 02:58 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Just posted in the other thread. My thinking is the number of times a hyper will sound as good or better than a shotgun OUTDOORS far exceeds the number of times a shotgun will sound as good or better than a hyper INDOORS. So if you can only have one mic, you get the most flexible coverage if it's a hyper.
Old February 1st, 2008, 04:31 PM   #3
Regular Crew

great, thanks for the advice. I started this thread since it's a different question and overall theme from the other but there seems to be more debate in the old one! I just hope I don't get scolded for starting too many topics.

I'll be reading both carefully over the next couple of days before making a decision.
Jesse Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2008, 12:03 AM   #4
Trustee

If you want a hyper-cardio, don't forget about Sennheiser's MKH-50 and MKH-8050. They are very good mics as well.
Peter Moretti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2008, 04:31 PM   #5
Inner Circle

You know Jesse, after re-reading your other post about the K6 series, I think I'm going to contradict myself. As this seems to be an entirely run and gun situation, I say go with the shotgun. It will have way more reach for one thing. And to further confuse you, I'd suggest considering the Sanken CS3e. It has the reputation of handling indoor environments better than any other shotgun, save maybe the Schoeps CMIT-5U (another mic you might want to consider), and is widely regarded as having the most side rejection of any other short shot. I love mine. Using the Schoeps outdoors will require much more expensive wind protection too. You can just slip an inexpensive deadcat style windscreen over the shotgun. I can attest that a rycote furry over the MK41 is totally useless. I think decent wind protection for the Schoeps is going to run you another $1000 bucks or so.
Marco Leavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2008, 05:29 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Nope. I put a Rode Dead Cat over the B5D Schoeps foam pop filter and get pretty good results in medium wind for a cmc641.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Ty Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2008, 05:31 PM   #7
Inner Circle

That's good to hear actually. I was talking about the Rycote furry. Even the smallest breezes would cause wind rumble.
Marco Leavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2008, 06:44 PM   #8
Major Player

I still say get the 60 for doco stuff. Perfect mic for the job. Hyper is the icing on the cake. Reach is better and when you find it sounds odd use a lav. You will need at least two lavs to do doc's.

Decent radios will cost an arm and a leg so worrying about a hyper and a short gun seems daft to me when you are on a budget. It's all a compromise.
Jimmy Tuffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2008, 02:54 PM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse Morgan View Post
After reading a number threads on this site, reading articles that have been linked to and talking to some sales people I have been persuaded to spend a bit more money on a mic. I need something for doing documentary work (interviews, capturing moments on the fly) for both inside and outside un-controlled environments. The mic would be on a boom, with a rycote and stabilizers operated by a pro or semi-pro.

I know should have a number of microphones in my stable for different situations and I plan and purchasing some more down the road. But at this point in time I can only afford one. I'd rather buy one good one now and try to use it as an all-around mic then buy two crappy microphones now and upgrade twice later.

My question to everyone is this, which would make a better all-around mic for my purposes? A MHK-60 or a Schoeps cmc641? Or any other suggestions?
i will say you can skip on both
get cheaper mics which make same or more
i can sudgest you get cs-3 e instead the mkh and get gefell m210 or neuma 185 insted the 641 , you will save about grand and get same sound if not better outside use the sanken instead the 60
not to mention the sanken is one of the only shotguns which work almost erfectly in reverb spaces
( by the way , i have all of them so it come from expirience)
Oleg Kaizerman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio