Motion Stabilization: different scenario at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old February 3rd, 2012, 03:57 PM   #1
New Boot

Motion Stabilization: different scenario

So, the problem is this: We conducted an interview with a 7D on a tripod. The lens stabilizer was left on, and being on a tripod, the result was that it attempted to stabilize a perfectly stable image, and you see the image jump just a bit every couple of seconds. Very distracting and annoying.

I tried using After Effects motion stabilizer to fix this; it seems to have had no effect whatsoever. Possibly because this isn't a normal kind of image shake. Has anyone encountered this problem, and can anyone suggest solutions employing Adobe Creative Suite CS5.5?

It seems like it ought to be a simple fix, since the motion is the same predictable tiny jump every time.

By the way, I'm not too skilled outside of Premiere. Please be very specific with any after effects/mocha instructions.
Jen Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2012, 09:29 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: Motion Stabilization: different scenario

In that case, make a manual adjustment.

If the motion is repeated, and a one frame jump, you can fix it by counter move the frame.

Just keyframe a couple of jumps with the position tool, and copy it to the whole footage, and then zoom in to cover the edges
and you can do this inside premiere.
Dominik Krol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2012, 09:49 AM   #3
Major Player

You don't need to use mocha for this kind of stuff.

Bring up the tracker and stabilize the entire sequence - find something that is 100% stable in the shot, not on the talking head. Then apply it to the footage and youll get a fully stable shot with of course edge issues whenever it wiggles.

Obviously you might have to do some cropping/scaling to reduce the edge effect, or use CC Repetile and blur the edges a bit.

If this isn't mission critical data and you have an FTP - I have no problems letting my computer render it out really quick while I'm watching the super bowl. Since this is DSLR footage, the file shouldn't be that large. Things like this are minor for me in after effects so Ill gladly do it if you dont have the time.
Justin Molush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2012, 05:18 AM   #4
Major Player

Hi
Try this:
proDAD Mercalli V2 - 3D image stabilizer, rolling shutter removal, zoom optimisation, pan shot optimisation

Theres a trial you can try.
Not so many settings but it works :)
Bo Skelmose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2012, 01:59 PM   #5
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Molush View Post
You don't need to use mocha for this kind of stuff.

Bring up the tracker and stabilize the entire sequence - find something that is 100% stable in the shot, not on the talking head. Then apply it to the footage and youll get a fully stable shot with of course edge issues whenever it wiggles.

Obviously you might have to do some cropping/scaling to reduce the edge effect, or use CC Repetile and blur the edges a bit.

If this isn't mission critical data and you have an FTP - I have no problems letting my computer render it out really quick while I'm watching the super bowl. Since this is DSLR footage, the file shouldn't be that large. Things like this are minor for me in after effects so Ill gladly do it if you dont have the time.
Thanks, giving it a try. I'll let you know when the render completes. Cropping will be no issue, there's plenty of room for that.
Jen Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2012, 11:06 AM   #6
New Boot

the tracker seems to have done the job; though not perfect results, definitely much, much better. thanks so much for the advice everyone!
Jen Hook is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite