CS3 preview to a second monitor? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old July 27th, 2008, 05:37 PM   #1
Regular Crew

CS3 preview to a second monitor?

I'm giving Premiere Pro CS3 a spin.
Can i output video preview to a second monitor via my video card? Much like the same way Sony Vegas does..... or is the only way through Firewire 1394 to a camcorder out to second monitor.

Nick
Nick Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2008, 06:44 PM   #2
Trustee

Absolutely. Just grab the program monitor tab and drag it to your second window. Premier has been able to do this for many years.

My card has a SVGA and HDMI output and I have a 32" LCD TV set as the second monitor on the HDMI connection. Works just fine. Don't know if it matters, but I have it set up this way as (I think) it will give me a truer representation of color as the TV is calibrated. I could be way off base as I have no proof that my card and TV combo is any more color accurate than any other PC monitor setup. Just a guess on my part.
Tripp Woelfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2008, 08:40 PM   #3
Major Player

There is another option. If you go to the (>) icon in the preview window and go to playback settigns...there is an option to view the video on a second monitor.
Old July 28th, 2008, 07:20 PM   #4
Trustee

Mitchell... This is true. The two different selections give you two different viewing options. Your way will take over the second monitor and display the video in much the same way as a TV, although the display may be underscanned. That would depend upon your monitor and display output settings.

The way I suggested actually doesn't display the video full screen. It simply moves the program monitor window onto the second display. I prefer this usage most of the time as I keep windows for both program monitor and clip monitor (tabbed) on monitor 2. With ancient eyes, having a big image when playing with clips helps me figure out what's in frame and aids with creating continuity for live action sports. When reviewing large sections of the project, I'll sometimes shift to the full-screen viewing mode.

It's good to have options so you can pick the best one for what you're doing.
Tripp Woelfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2008, 02:53 PM   #5
Major Player

Full screen preview

I use a Matrox Parhelia APVe under PremPro2 and Cineform to show my preview material on an external monitor under component HD. This is full screen with no shuttle controls or mouse.

Regardless of how you do the second monitor thing, I recomment somewhat "overdriving" the brightness on the monitor....because so many viewers leave their big screens overbright. Before doing this I would tend to overlighten footage to look right on the desktop monitor window.
Don Blish is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite