DVD's won't work!? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old June 11th, 2008, 07:17 PM   #1
New Boot

DVD's won't work!?

Hi i'm a high school student having some trouble exporting a short movie that we just finished. I shot it on an Xl h1 and edited the whole project in HDV. We're looking to export to DVD and i've already done a few renders, but the dvd's wont work when i put them in a regular DVD player. I don't have the exact numbers but it went something like this
1st try - DV, widescreen, mpeg 2, vbr2 pass ( took around 13 hrs for 24min of footage is that normal?) burned onto a DVD-R
2nd try - DV, 4:3, mpeg-2, vbr 1 pass (had to try this several times as there was a thunderstorm at 1oclock in the morning and the power went out) burned onto a DVD-RW
-i cant remember if i tried a cbr version.
point is that none of these DVD's worked
Sorry if i'm asking a lot but what coul be some good settings i could use to convert HDV into high quality SD and then burn it onto DVD? Also what are the files that should be burnt onto the DVD, the video which is an MPEG2 and the audio correct? Are the xmp files necessary? Thanks a lot!
Lukas Kajiwara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2008, 07:30 PM   #2
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukas Kajiwara View Post
Hi i'm a high school student having some trouble exporting a short movie that we just finished. I shot it on an Xl h1 and edited the whole project in HDV. We're looking to export to DVD and i've already done a few renders, but the dvd's wont work when i put them in a regular DVD player. I don't have the exact numbers but it went something like this
1st try - DV, widescreen, mpeg 2, vbr2 pass ( took around 13 hrs for 24min of footage is that normal?) burned onto a DVD-R
2nd try - DV, 4:3, mpeg-2, vbr 1 pass (had to try this several times as there was a thunderstorm at 1oclock in the morning and the power went out) burned onto a DVD-RW
-i cant remember if i tried a cbr version.
point is that none of these DVD's worked
Sorry if i'm asking a lot but what coul be some good settings i could use to convert HDV into high quality SD and then burn it onto DVD? Also what are the files that should be burnt onto the DVD, the video which is an MPEG2 and the audio correct? Are the xmp files necessary? Thanks a lot!
Do you know if your DVD player supports DVD-R?
Old June 11th, 2008, 07:41 PM   #3
New Boot

well i've tried a few different places. 2 different dvd players, a ps2. Some of the Dvd's i made work on computers. Sorry i'm so vague I'll have to get the specifics tomorrow, I just posted this today because i usually have to wait for a few days until i get a response. Anyway do i have the correct settings in the media encoder to get the movie onto a dvd?
Lukas Kajiwara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2008, 08:41 PM   #4
Major Player

The easiest way to export a video to DVD is using the export to DVD (Premiere Pro 2.0) or Export to encore (CS3) and use the higest quality possible.
Old June 16th, 2008, 08:48 PM   #5
Regular Crew

By your last sentence, it sounds like you're just copying the mpeg files to a DVD. You need to author the DVD with Encore from those mpeg files (then burn the DVD straight or save the VIDEO_TS folder and burn it to a DVD).
Old June 23rd, 2008, 12:28 AM   #6
Major Player

Do you have Adobe Encore? I find the easiest way to create a DVD is to export to Encore from Premiere (Though I admit at times this process has failed me). Upon export, you have the option to select "MPEG2 DVD" (CS3). Then once in Encore, be sure that you have your video file linked to your audio. Always do a preview before burning your DVD. Also, if you are in a crunch, simply export your movie as a Quicktime file and import into Encore. You might suffer quality loss, but if you are in a crunch, sometimes this is better than nothing.

-JS
John Stakes is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite