New Canon XF605! - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders
Canon XF705, XF405, XF305, XF205 and XF105 (with SDI), Canon XF400, XF300, XF200 and XF100 (without SDI).

Old March 5th, 2022, 09:20 AM   #31
Wrangler

Re: New Canon XF605!

Quote:
...very few people need XLR into the camera...
Not sure that is a valid statement unless applied to the population at large vs folks doing serious video and audio combined without a separate sound man. The adapters needed to add xlr-source audio to devices with 3.5mm input unbalanced jacks adds to the mess and tangle of the kit. Canon does offer 4K capable camcorders with the XA-series form factors and much lower prices.

I note mention that the Sony pocket cam has heat issues for longer shoots. Also, comparisons were based on "out-of-the-box" configurations which is not the same as potential in the hands of a good shooter. To each his own according to their needs and budget
Old March 5th, 2022, 05:18 PM   #32
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Palomaki View Post
Not sure that is a valid statement unless applied to the population at large vs folks doing serious video and audio combined without a separate sound man. The adapters needed to add xlr-source audio to devices with 3.5mm input unbalanced jacks adds to the mess and tangle of the kit. Canon does offer 4K capable camcorders with the XA-series form factors and much lower prices.

I note mention that the Sony pocket cam has heat issues for longer shoots. Also, comparisons were based on "out-of-the-box" configurations which is not the same as potential in the hands of a good shooter. To each his own according to their needs and budget
XLR is still very useful. I seen a lot people (including myself) make blanket statements about cameras that really only based on ones own type of work. I was filming with my camcorder today an educational documentary where I need to go around to different classes and capture what's going on while being unobtrusive. How easy it made my life. I brought zero accessories not even a bag and was able to shoot hand held and get what I needed.

I think people get carried away with mirrorless cinema cameras. Yes I always want to get one despite the camcorder still doing the job. The low light performance isn't great, the lens is slow, the AF is crap,...

I'd always like to upgrade my camcorder but many of these ones like the XF605F are expense. If you want a matched pair that's around 10k. They're priced high because they are targeted at broadcasters who need things like SDI out. But image wise they're not worth the money for what I do.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2022, 03:08 AM   #33
New Boot

Sorry for a silly question (probably), but I'd like to know if the Sony ECM-MS2 mic fits the XF605's the mic holder. It was compatible with C200. Thanks and have a great day! I plan to buy this camera next weeks.
Thanks! :-)
Danilo Del Tufo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2022, 06:39 AM   #34
Wrangler

The pro series Canon camcorders I've used all have a 1" diameter mic holder. Your ECM is 0.94" per the spec so it should fit. If it is too loose in the mount adding a couple O-rings on the mic body, or a wrap of gaffers tape, can increase the diameter for a tighter fit.

Wonder when dealers will start offering sales on it? So far everyone seems to be asking is asking list price.
Old June 21st, 2022, 05:29 AM   #35
New Boot

This message is about Canon XF605 users: When the camera is set full auto, it seems (just two short tests made with the camera arrived yesterday) that ND filters didn't engage, maybe it's my eye or FULL AUTO setup disengages the use of ND filter? Thanks!
Old June 22nd, 2022, 01:57 PM   #36
New Boot

First test under very bright sun, and little promo for an organic farm. Shooting animals that moves very quickly has forced me to make a lot of panning, but it was the first time with the camera to shoot outdoors, so please sorry the sense of seasickness with panning shots. Enjoy! :-)
Old June 23rd, 2022, 11:42 AM   #37
New Boot

Old June 23rd, 2022, 11:59 PM   #38
Inner Circle

You might consider getting a tripod and think more about getting nicer compositions.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2022, 12:21 PM   #39
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noa Put View Post
You might consider getting a tripod and think more about getting nicer compositions.
I've tripod, but I like to use the camera handled. I need to discover the difference between "Standard" and "Dynamic", I've used "dynamic", maybe this is reason of shaky footage.
Old June 24th, 2022, 06:45 PM   #40
Inner Circle

Danilo, yes you need to use your tripod to stabilise your video programs, hand held is mostly for quick and nasty TV news reports.

Also to keep your horizon level, the XF605 menu will have a grid you can place over your viewfinder screen, it takes a bit of getting used to but it works very well.
Cheers.
Old June 26th, 2022, 04:45 AM   #41
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan Black View Post
Danilo, yes you need to use your tripod to stabilise your video programs, hand held is mostly for quick and nasty TV news reports.

Also to keep your horizon level, the XF605 menu will have a grid you can place over your viewfinder screen, it takes a bit of getting used to but it works very well.
Cheers.
Unfortunately I didn't use Power IS and the grid, thanks for the advice, I've bought this camera to use without a tripod despite I've 2 tripod, just run-gun shot. Hope to make better in the future.
Old June 26th, 2022, 09:32 PM   #42
Inner Circle

Danilo, my guess is you don’t like to use a tripod is because it takes too long to set up and the scene has changed. But imo, unfortunately your hand held video won’t ever be steady enough to satisfy you, it’ll look to amateurish.

One other way is to use a monopod. I’ve seen video shot on a monopod that’s steady enough to have been shot on a tripod, and they’re simple enough to drop the leg down from the camera and start shooting fast. You might be able to rent one to try it out.
Cheers.
Old June 27th, 2022, 06:20 AM   #43
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan Black View Post
Danilo, my guess is you don’t like to use a tripod is because it takes too long to set up and the scene has changed. But imo, unfortunately your hand held video won’t ever be steady enough to satisfy you, it’ll look to amateurish.

One other way is to use a monopod. I’ve seen video shot on a monopod that’s steady enough to have been shot on a tripod, and they’re simple enough to drop the leg down from the camera and start shooting fast. You might be able to rent one to try it out.
Cheers.
Yes, true. I don't like to use tripod because I like to freeze the image, but I will consider a monopod, I suppose with Power IS on and Dynamic, there will be less movement, less amateurish. But for now I'm happy to have produced something, not excellent, but before with A7SIII I've filmed just a room. With XF605 I feel more confident to shoot outside. Thanks for advices and suggestions always welcome.
Danilo Del Tufo is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders