Choppy 24f. How can it be shot to look more fluid? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old April 12th, 2007, 11:25 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Choppy 24f. How can it be shot to look more fluid?

Hi. I'm new to this forum... I just picked up my XH-A1 a couple of weeks ago. I'm continuing this topic from one of Steve Demsey's sample clip posts. One of the members asked Steve how he got his 24f shots to look so fluid. I was curious myself.

While I am a fan of the 24f, I found my shots to be more choppy than it did when I use my GL2. Is there a way in post to help with the choppiness?
Nicholas Tran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2007, 12:01 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Don't know what your viewing it on, but keep in mind the Canon actually only records 24 frames a second to tape, whereas most other camers record 24 frames PLUS repeat fill in frames to get to 29.97.
Gary Hanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2007, 12:28 PM   #3
Major Player

hi nicholas, yeah that was me.

i found while i was fliming in 24f, the lcd/vf display was far more choppy than the playback. i imported into vegas and it was a bit smoother. playing back from the cam was pretty nice..but not very useful.

others are definitely getting smoother results, so further feedback and info would be appreciated here.

regarding the GL2 (and XL1-S) - that was "frame mode" shot at 30fps but imported as 60i.. so it appears more fluid.

as gary stated, the a1 is laying down only 24fps or 30fps and exporting it in a "progressive" way.
Eric Weiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2007, 01:30 PM   #4
Contributor

Yeah, it looks choppy in the viewfinder, but it plays back smoothly. I load into FCP with the 1080p24 easy setup, and keep it in a 24p timeline. It looks like the regular 24p that it is, versus the pulldown which to my eye always creates unnatural "judder."
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2007, 08:33 AM   #5
Major Player

I found that when shooting on Auto that it sends my shutter speed through the roof during bright day shooting thus resulting in an almost gladiator effect when shooting 24p... Try setting it Tv with a shutter speed of 48ish give or take a click up or down depending on conditions...
Doug Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2007, 12:12 PM   #6
Contributor

When shooting at 24fps you need to use the 1/48 shutter speed, unless you're looking for an effect. Video and motion picture cameras are not like still cameras where you can use the shutter to control exposure. Another reason that auto shutter mode shouldn't be used.
Old April 13th, 2007, 01:48 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Pryor View Post
When shooting at 24fps you need to use the 1/48 shutter speed, unless you're looking for an effect. Video and motion picture cameras are not like still cameras where you can use the shutter to control exposure. Another reason that auto shutter mode shouldn't be used.
Let me get this right. When you change from 60 to 24f in camera, the default shutter speed is 1/24. So It should be changed to 1/48 ? If so, what is the benefit of 1/24 or 1/48. Is everybody filming at 1/48 in the 24f mode? Sorry if the questions sound stupid but I'm a newbie in the 24 fps world.
Alain Mayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2007, 01:53 PM   #8
Contributor

I don't know why the default goes to 24, but 1/48 is standard for 24fps production and 1/60 is for 30fps. Anything other than that is going to result in some sort of effect, like strobing, blurring, even fan blades spinning backwards if you go fast enough. It's true that some people have shot at 1/24 to get more light, and you can get by with that if there's not much movement in the shot.
Old April 13th, 2007, 02:48 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Pryor View Post
I don't know why the default goes to 24, but 1/48 is standard for 24fps production and 1/60 is for 30fps. Anything other than that is going to result in some sort of effect, like strobing, blurring, even fan blades spinning backwards if you go fast enough. It's true that some people have shot at 1/24 to get more light, and you can get by with that if there's not much movement in the shot.

Nice to know, Thanks
Alain Mayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2007, 01:00 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Great information. THANKS everyone!
Nicholas Tran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2007, 01:40 PM   #11
Major Player

It's odd to me -- but it does seem that 1/24 (shutter) is the defalt with the 24f setting.

I wonder why the default isn't 1/48... humm...
James Binder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2007, 03:54 PM   #12
Major Player

Strange how inconsistent some things are at times. 24f mode on mine has a default shutter of 48, like it should.

Bill
Bill Busby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2007, 07:29 PM   #13
Major Player

mine has 1/24 as default.
1/48 is so much better.

thanks to everyone for their help!
Eric Weiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2007, 01:51 PM   #14
Major Player

I don't have the A1 but I did use a GL2 for awhile and I shot a short movie all at 1/60 even in dark scenes because I knew I was going to convert it all to 24p and it worked out great.

1/60 - 60i slows down perfect too.

If you shoot at 24p with these new HDV cameras, how does 24p slow down? My guess is, not good, which would mean you are taking away a great feature if you choose to slow down footage.

Or is it always about the shutter speed and not the fps per say?

So 24p can indeed slow down as well if you shoot at 1/48 shutter speed....

Can anyone clarify this?
Old April 20th, 2007, 02:56 PM   #15
Contributor

It worked nicely because 1/60 is the proper shutter speed for shooting 30fps.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders