DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old September 28th, 2006, 01:06 AM   #16
Slash Rules!

print to tape issue - 24p 2:3:3:2, 16:9

I couldn't find this particular topic addressed elsewhere in the forum, so. . .

I have an edited piece, footage shot on an XL2 at 24p, 2:3:3:2 pulldown, 16:9. How would I go about making it 24p that's printable to a miniDV tape? I'm not that familiar with FCP. Thanks.
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2006, 12:25 AM   #17
Slash Rules!

Anyone? Anyone?

Since 24p footage from the XL2 is meant to be used in a 60i timeline, and is better for going back to tape, and 24pa is for a 24p timeline, and better for DVDs or other progressive distribution methods, isn't there a way to make 24pa footage back into 24p inside FCP?

I guess I could just put the 24pa project (the rendered, final cut of the piece, that is) on a DVD instead, without compressing it, and transfer it off the DVD into Vegas (which is what I have at home, the FCP doesn't belong to me), and worry about it there. . .
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2006, 12:17 PM   #18
Regular Crew

Interlacing 24P video

Can someone explain to me why video shot in 24P using an JVC GY HD100U, after being imported into a Mac G5 through Final Cut Pro software, is interlacing?
Edward Mendoza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2006, 12:38 PM   #19
Regular Crew

How are you importing, Via FW?
Where are you seeing the interlacing artifacts?
Are you importing to some codec other than HDV?
Are you SURE that it was recorded in 24P?
Old October 3rd, 2006, 01:19 PM   #20
Wrangler

You must have shot in NTSC-DV mode - 24P normal with a 2:3 pulldown.
Old October 3rd, 2006, 01:31 PM   #21
Regular Crew

I did import via Fire Wire and I see the interlacing during playback in Final Cut (obviously most noticeable when the video is paused and one can see the lines around the moving subjects). The video was shot in 24P SD, not HDV.

I figured it was the result of the pulldown but was not sure. Tim, can the pulldown be removed through Final Cut if video had been recorded in 24PA?

Thank you guys for your input.
Old October 3rd, 2006, 01:55 PM   #22
Wrangler

The HD100 essentially functions as a DVX100 when in DV mode.

24P mode will capture and lay 24fps to 60i tape in a standard 2:3 pattern.

You can use Cinema Tools to batch "reverse telecine" your clips after you have captured them as standard NTSC 29.97fps. The disadvantage is a slight quality loss due to the fact that half of the frames need to be re-combined from split-fields, and then written back into a DV quicktime file.
Of course, if you have no immediate need to edit in a 24P timeline, then just leave it as-is and cut in a standard NTSC 29.97 timeline, being cautious not to make edits on pulldown frames.

If you had shot in DV 24PA (advanced 2:3:3:2 pulldown) mode, then you could have either had FCP remove the pulldown during capture, or remove it after being captured as NTSC.

The advantage of using 2:3:3:2 pulldown in DV is that FCP can easily discard the pulldown frames and you can immediately get to work in native 24P timelines. Also, there is no quality loss when discarding the repeated frames from the quicktime file.

The concepts being discussed in this thread really don't have much to do with the HD100, but specific FCP workflow understanding common to all 480P24 acquisition (DVX100, XL2, SDX-900, etc.) so I'm going to move it to DV Editing on a Mac.
Old October 3rd, 2006, 02:22 PM   #23
Regular Crew

I appreciate it very much. And thanks for moving it to the proper forum.
Old November 1st, 2006, 05:51 PM   #24
Major Player

I'm seeing this behavior, too. And it's weird. I have two different events I filmed with the same camera (XL2), same settings (24pA) and the files look very similar in FCP. But one renders smoothly into quicktime files, and the other has this weird every-4th-frame interlacing artifacts.

I'm really confused with this.
Old November 9th, 2006, 07:53 PM   #25
New Boot

Do I remove the Pull down from 24P DV

I am very confused as well. Can someone explain whether or not removing the pulldown is nessecary while editing DV footage? When I capture 24P dv footage I then use Cinema Tools to remove the 2:3 pull down and that seems to take care of the interlacing. But recently, someone told me that is unessecary since DV is a interlaced format and the extra frames are ment to be there.

So, answer me this batman. Do I have to remove the pull down at all? PLEASE HELP IM CONFUSED! I'm seriously just thinking about switching to film...jk.

"What the studios want now is "risk-free" films but with any sort of art you have to take risks. Not taking risks in art is like not having sex and then expecting there to be children." -Francis Ford Coppola
Jack McTigue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2006, 12:33 PM   #26
Regular Crew

24p - The End All Be All Thread

OK, so let's have a thread that shows the proper workflow from going to 24p>Final Cut Pro>DVD Studio Pro and then show the workflow for 24pa>Final Cut Pro> DVD Studio Pro.

There is a whole lot of sporatic information out there but I have not found anything that details what settings FCP need to be at for a 24p/24pa workflow, and proper encoding from FCP to DVD Studio, whether you use compressor, or export quicktime movie, or what.

Basically, all I'm looking for is the proper settings for both 24p, and 24pa.

Maybe... if we get the proper information, we can make this a sticky.
Brian Farris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2006, 01:18 PM   #27
Wrangler

I posted it about a year and a half ago. Try looking back in the FCP or Canon XL2 forums. The question has come up on many occasions and you should get several hits by searching on 24P and FCP.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2006, 02:00 PM   #28
Regular Crew

So why is there no sticky about a 24p workflow for Final Cut Pro/DVD Studio pro?
Old November 15th, 2006, 04:29 PM   #29
Regular Crew

I am also having the exact same problem.
Old November 21st, 2006, 02:45 PM   #30
Major Player

60i issues in FCP HDV 24p Timeline

I have a tape that has both 60i and 24f footage (mostly 24f) from an HX-A1. When 60i clips hit a 24p timeline, they require rendering. Once rendered, the 60i clips play back jumpy, while the 24f clips play fine.

Is there an easy way to mix both 60i and 24f footage on the same timeline?
Perhaps I should try 24p footage on an HDV 60i timeline? Any guesses here?
Larry Huntington is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite