Getting "film look" with EX1 - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old May 12th, 2008, 04:28 PM   #31
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Hollister View Post
All those 'little problems' can be extremely frustrating, if you look for them and let them get in your way. Best to rely on your raw talents as a shooter/ photographer/ designer and use the tools. Dont let the tools drive you insane.

Embrace your constraints.
I hear 'ya, Andrew. "A good carpenter never blames his tools for a poor job". I'm a firm believer in that. However, after having the camera for only two weeks, I had to send it back (last Friday) because of the paint coming off AND finding dirt and crap inside the lens. I could have continued using the camera despite the paint wear but the schmutz inside the lens was appearing on my images. It also had some CA and IR issues.

I've known guys who would always complain about not being able to do a job well until they could buy this or that attachment or lens. That's why I'm so frustrated with this camera at this point. I can see its' potential and I'm very excited to be using it.....if only I can keep it here with me for more than TWO WEEKS!
Dave Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2008, 05:51 PM   #32
"I saw 'em" -- Hiwayne Suggs

I've used the EX1 since January and I love it.

My background is shooting film, so I do shoot for the look I like, which is mostly 7248 color negative film.

I shoot using these settings:

24P
1/48th second shutter
-3db gain (with sufficient light)
picture profile adjusted to one of the cine settings
a warmer white balance than the default
a warming polarizer
a graduated filter for over-exposed skies
lens at a longer focal length (if I'm after less DOF)

I'm having a great time using the camera and I highly recommend it.

Good luck,

Steve
Steve Mims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2008, 07:59 PM   #33
Regular Crew

Sorry about the dust and schmutz and CA and IR woes, but thats all fixable; and in the long run you'll have a lot more good experiences with the camera. I can tell you this, my dead LCD and EVF are a distant memory.

As for chipping paint, I'm ok with that, kinda like Stevie Ray Vaughan's Fender Strat with years of good use. (but years, not weeks)

I just wish I had more time to get out and shoot.

@Mims - nice setup - seems you have your ideal and are going for it. Look forward to seeing some shots.
Old May 12th, 2008, 09:02 PM   #34
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Mims View Post
I've used the EX1 since January and I love it.

My background is shooting film, so I do shoot for the look I like, which is mostly 7248 color negative film.

I shoot using these settings:

24P
1/48th second shutter
-3db gain (with sufficient light)
picture profile adjusted to one of the cine settings
a warmer white balance than the default
a warming polarizer
a graduated filter for over-exposed skies
lens at a longer focal length (if I'm after less DOF)

I'm having a great time using the camera and I highly recommend it.

Good luck,

Steve
sound sound advice. very much what I do. have you got any clips to post anywhere? hOW DO YOU EXPOSE? mY BIG PROBLEM IS THAT i AM ALWAYS UNDEREXPOSING??????
Mike Stevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2008, 12:37 AM   #35
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Stevens View Post
hOW DO YOU EXPOSE? mY BIG PROBLEM IS THAT i AM ALWAYS UNDEREXPOSING??????
Mike, that's hard to answer without seeing what you're doing, and knowing what you call under-exposure. Are you using the histogram and brightness reading?
Serena Steuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2008, 06:43 AM   #36
Major Player

I'd be curious to know what method most people here use to set their exposure. I've been using the Zebra 1 function but raised the default level from 70 to 95 or 98.
Old May 13th, 2008, 06:50 AM   #37
Inner Circle

Changing the Zebra 1 setting from its default 70% to 9x % prevents you from using it as designed, i.e. to control proper exposure of (Caucasian) skin tones.

Therefore, I am using Zebra 2 at its only setting (100%), and just observe that it doesn't appear anywhere except for small areas of pure white objects (not the sky - it's never pure white, and should not generate the zebra) - unless properly exposing the foreground but backlit objects is my priority.

When it's people faces that are important, I engage Both zebras.

So far so good.

Last edited by Piotr Wozniacki; May 13th, 2008 at 08:22 AM.
Piotr Wozniacki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2008, 07:24 AM   #38
Major Player

Thanks for that Piotr. This will be the first camera that I've had that provided two levels of Zebra. As soon as it gets back from Sony Service, I'll do as you suggest and utilize both levels.
Old May 13th, 2008, 07:37 AM   #39
Inner Circle

Another important note:
Zebra 1 is +-10% of the level set.
Zebra 2 displays patter for the video level OVER 100%

Setting Zebra 1 to 100% is (+-10%) is not the same as using Zebra 2 (which is over only).

Setting Zebra 1 to 100 would be 90-110 range (109 max actually)
Zebra 2 is 100+ only.

That's assuming the manual and my interpretation of it is correct. See page 41.

Another way of looking at it. Zebra 1 set to 100 might kick in at 90 whereas Zebra 2 won't kick in until you hit 100.

Just to be clear also Zebra 2 is locked at 100 (not programable). Given the way the menu functions some people mistakenly believe Zebra 2 is programmable.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2008, 07:43 AM   #40
Inner Circle

Absolutely correct, Craig! The Zebra 1 actually covering a range rather than threshold, I should have mentioned it in my opinion against using it instead of Zebra 2.
Old May 13th, 2008, 07:44 AM   #41
Major Player

So leaving Zebra 1 at 70 is supposedly the best indication for properly exposed Caucasian skin tones (acc. to Piotr) and getting Zebra 2 stripes should only occur on the absolute brightest values (sun on chrome, water reflections,etc.)?
Old May 13th, 2008, 08:02 AM   #42
Major Player

In general you don't want to burn out highlights, so Z2 stripes should be avoided if possible. The histogram is very useful for checking that you haven't burnt out portions of the image, and for ensuring a good range of tones. The camera provides several indications of exposure and it's just a matter of testing, being critical of your results, and adopting a technique that works for you.
Serena Steuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2008, 10:13 AM   #43
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serena Steuart View Post
Mike, that's hard to answer without seeing what you're doing, and knowing what you call under-exposure. Are you using the histogram and brightness reading?
Serena: My problem is not so much technical as my poor eyes and the very bright desert. As i said over at the "High Light" post I have not found a hooded setup that allows me to use the LCD and the viewfinder is poor so I'm having problems just seeing the Zebras so i think I'm being over cautious. Last Spring when it was not so bright I had no problem but now I'm blinded by the light.
Mike Stevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2008, 10:38 AM   #44
Major Player

Heres some EX1 film look :) Shot with Canon F-1, 85mm f1.2 L lens on Fuji 400 asa film
Attached Thumbnails
Getting "film look" with EX1-cnv00002.jpg  
Sami Sanpakkila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2008, 10:38 AM   #45
Inner Circle

Z2 setting has its problems though. While zebras hit at 100, it is possible to push to 109 before blow out. 100 might be safe for "broadcast" but there are many circumstances where 109 zebra would be useful instead.

In short, you can hit Z2 and you might not be clipping yet (actually losing information in the highlights).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serena Steuart View Post
In general you don't want to burn out highlights, so Z2 stripes should be avoided if possible. The histogram is very useful for checking that you haven't burnt out portions of the image, and for ensuring a good range of tones. The camera provides several indications of exposure and it's just a matter of testing, being critical of your results, and adopting a technique that works for you.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds