DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/)
-   -   XL1 / XL1S various posts (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/160-xl1-xl1s-various-posts.html)

Philip Banyer August 24th, 2004 03:27 AM

xl1 Need help please please

My son has taken the battery out.
Which way round does the memory battery go in XL1?
+ and - in relation to the plastic holder.
Many thanks Philip Banyer

Mark McCarthy August 25th, 2004 10:02 AM

Okay to screw polariser onto UV filter?

Do I have to remove my UV filter everytime I want to attach my circular polariser?
This is what I do at present. Or can I simply screw my circular polariser on to the UV fliter? This would save some time, but do I sacrifice something?
regards
Mark

Jeff Donald August 25th, 2004 02:14 PM

It's got a good idea to stack filters. You increase the odds of having issues with flare, vignetting, and reducing overall optical performance (contrast, resolution etc.).

Carl Walters August 25th, 2004 05:01 PM

There is normally a sticker next to the battery holder showing you, if this has been removed then the +ve, (widest side) should be nearest the lens.

James Emory August 26th, 2004 09:17 AM

There is also usually a + or - sign molded into the plastic tray indicating orientation. Another sure way is to just install it and if it doesn't work, flip it over.

Les Wilson August 27th, 2004 09:38 AM

Battery Life with Nebtek 5"

I'm not sure how long it would run on a BP-915 vs a BP-935. Anyone have experiences with these batteries and that monitor?

G. Randy Brown September 1st, 2004 02:31 PM

Blue lens flare under the lights

Howdy,
I'm shooting high school football under the lights and getting lens flare with a UV protector on. Anything else I can do to get rid of it. Another thing is the purple uniforms are coming out blue with manual or auto white balance. It'd be a pain to correct the whole season in post...any suggestions?
TIA,
Randy

Wayne Orr September 1st, 2004 04:19 PM

1. Take off the UV filter and relax.
2. Go to www.flarebuster.com and get a Flarebuster. This will help you tremendously under those stadium lights. More info at http://www.digitalprods.com/flare.htm
3. Purple/violet is a problem for most video cameras. This problem goes back a looong way, historically. The chips (used to be the "tubes") just cannot discerne this hue. You could try to white balance using a blue gel or blue card, but don't expect miracles. If you could borrow a jersey, and experiment at home at your leisure, you might have a better chance than experimenting in the stadium. Sure, the stadium uses different light sources than you have at home, but the correction should be similar.

BTW, the Networks used to have the same problem with purples. What did they do? Ignore it.

Wayne Orr, SOC

John Hampster September 2nd, 2004 07:19 AM

Mysterious Vertical Black Lines

I'm using a company XL1 and have noticed with everything I shoot, black lines appear on the left and right side of the frame. They're outside of safe action/title but they're still big enough to notice and they're no good for still images/compositing. Does anyone know why this is happening, is there an internal setting I can adjust?

G. Randy Brown September 2nd, 2004 07:37 AM

Very interesting and helpful post Wayne, I'll try your suggestions!
Thanks a bunch,
Randy

Rob Lohman September 2nd, 2004 08:30 AM

No, this is perfectly normal and has been discussed already in
the past a lot of times.

Nothing you can do to change that. You can ofcourse crop the
image or zoom in etc. It's something you will have to live with.

John Hampster September 2nd, 2004 09:41 AM

OK, as long as I know that all XL1's do that and nothing can be done, I can live with it. Thanks for your input.

Zac Butcher September 2nd, 2004 05:20 PM

Generic BP-945

Hey. I know that when it comes to consumer electronics name brand is always better...but when the difference is $100 I have to stop and think. Has anyone used these generic battery packs on their cameras? If so, good/bad/ugly?

Ken Tanaka September 2nd, 2004 07:09 PM

Welcome Zac.

Search is your friend here.

Dennis Liu September 2nd, 2004 10:20 PM

Headphones: 7505, 7506 or 280?

Hi,

I'm going to be doing no budget, run-and-gun guerilla shoots, single camera, and I am looking for affordable headphones. I will in most cases be shooting on the field, and not in studio.

My question is, the Sony 7505 is cheaper than the 7506, is the difference significant? Which one is better for field work? What about the cheaper 7502?

Also, purely from the portability/comfort and ease-of-use side of things, is the Sennheiser 280 better or the Sonys'?

Thanks for answering,
Dennis