DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/)
-   -   XL1 / XL1S various posts (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/160-xl1-xl1s-various-posts.html)

K. Forman July 29th, 2004 03:26 PM

If I remember correctly, it is located inside the battery compartment. Pull your battery and look...

Otto Ortiz July 29th, 2004 08:40 PM

Xl1s problems

i started getting small blocks on the screen, so i put in a cleaning tape, now it showed a black screen, so i cleaned it again, now it has a blue screen and no tapes play in it now... I think I'm screwed here....HELP !!!

Chris Hurd July 29th, 2004 09:17 PM

Sounds like it needs professional cleaning. Send it to the Canon service center in Jamesburg, NJ.

Adrian Douglas July 30th, 2004 07:03 AM

And the lens serial is printed on the black plastic part of the lens mount.

Otto Ortiz July 30th, 2004 07:32 AM

XL1s

how much would that cost me ? ? limited on funds right now

David Stollak July 31st, 2004 05:51 AM

Eject Tape

I can't seem to eject a tape out of the XL1s
Anyone have any insight into this?
Thanks in advance for your time.

Rob Lohman August 1st, 2004 11:14 AM

Did you ever run cleaning tapes, if not do so. Otherwise it might
be a trip to Canon to get it looked at.

There is no other way to capture the tape unless you can use
another camera or a DV deck.

Otto Ortiz August 1st, 2004 09:19 PM

Hmmmmmmmmm ???

Have you checked to see if the batt has enough juice to do that or maybe something has jammed in the tape compartment. another thing might be the release button may have a defect.

Norman Woo August 2nd, 2004 07:35 AM

Dust-Off liquid on XL1 head - damage?

Hi folks

I was getting artifacts during playback on my XL1. Playing the tape on another unit was fine. Running a tape cleaner through the XL1 did not do the trick.

So I decided to clean off the XL1 internals using a blast from the Dust-Off, some liquid was sprayed onto the XL1 head (Oh no).

I quickly wiped off the spray from the head using one of the cassette swab sticks.

Playing back the same tape, there were no more artifacts. I also recorded some new stuff and they played back fine. So this seems to have cleaned up the head.

Did I do any permanent damages to the head with this liquied from Dust-Off?

Thanks

Ken Tanaka August 2nd, 2004 11:35 AM

Since your blast seems to have dislodged some offending debris and the playback now works, all would seem fine.

In general, however, using compressed air, particularly in an enclosed housing, may not be an effective remedy for two reasons. First is the hazard of spraying that extremely cold liquid on delicate components. You always want to hold the can upright and spray the first burst into the air to avoid that. That stuff can leave indelible deposits in bad places.

Second, where do you think that debris went? Maybe it fell out of the camera. But chances are it's not far away. Perhaps the blast also dislodged other debris that's now free-roaming in there. Creepy, eh? <g> My point is that compressed air operates in such an uncontrolled manner that it can be hard to target it toward the specific problem.

So those are prevailing arguments against using canned air. But, honestly, I cannot say that I would not have used it if conventional cleaning methods failed, as they did in your case.

David Stollak August 2nd, 2004 12:43 PM

The eject button is O.K. , if thats what you mean.
After I hit the eject button,
the tape housing rises as usual but just doesnt pop open.
I've tried it with fresh batteries also.
I dont see any way of getting to the
tape to see if i'ts jammed
I think I'll have to send it to Canon.
Thanks for your reply

Joe Callaghan August 3rd, 2004 12:46 PM

xl1s eating tapes

My camera has also been eating tapes and it is still under warranty. I have had the camera for a little over a year and I was wondering where to find canon service. I live in Austin TX and I was wondering if there are actual stores or do I have to send it off to get repaired or looked at.

Joe

Richard Alvarez August 3rd, 2004 12:50 PM

First, stop feeding it tapes. Second, send it back to Canon, use the warranty card.

Collis Davis August 3rd, 2004 07:57 PM

V8 video compatible with XL1S for playback/digitizing purposes?

Hello to all from the Philippines:

Okara Video, my firm, has been asked to put together a tape using some pre-existing V8 footage.

My question is:

1) Is the V8 tape cassette equivalent to the MiniDV casette?

2) If the anser to question #1 is YES, will the XL!S read the V8 tape correctly?

3) Does the generic V8 camera have a "Firewire" connector?

Many thanks for your wisdom on these simple questions

Collis

Collis Davis August 3rd, 2004 08:03 PM

Short of heeding Alvarez's appropriate advice, purchase a Sima 6mm DV 2-way rewinder. They are excellent. You can successfully rewind your tapes while in "play" mode, but obviously this places unnecessary wear on your heads!

But I, too, have to send my XL1S in for repair of the faulty drive mechanismthat usually chews tapes upon rewinding.

Collis