DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/)
-   -   XL1 / XL1S various posts (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/160-xl1-xl1s-various-posts.html)

Nick Moss May 16th, 2004 02:57 PM

thanks Rob.. I think you are right.. sadly, I have no warranty, so Canon, here I come!

Trig Simon May 17th, 2004 06:45 AM

Replace plug on Canon ZR1000

As I was raising my mast on my tripod to shoot over a crown, the tip of the remote plug (zr1000) broke off in the XL1s.

Where can I get a replacement cord?

How do I get the tip out of the camera?

Mike Hanlon May 17th, 2004 06:22 PM

Radio shack carries the 2.5mm jack you seek.

Can't help you with the extraction of the broken tip though.

Don Palomaki May 18th, 2004 03:12 AM

Try Canon parts fro a new replacement, some owner may had one he does not use, so search the various web sites. Also, some dealers that cater to professional users may have some.

Andrew Paul May 19th, 2004 02:50 PM

shoulder pad question

I have just got my XL1S and seem to have a lot of trouble making the shoulder pad comfortable. Reading a few reveiews on the internet, I see that the shoulder pad is not one of canons best ideas. Do you guys have any suggestions as to where to get a decent shoulder mount for the XL1S or at least a make and model number. Thanks

John Randolph May 19th, 2004 03:24 PM

Color jumps

I was shooting in a barn the other night in 30 frames and when i played it back i noticed color jumps....in brightness mainly.

Anyone have any ideas on what this is or what its doing?

Ken Tanaka May 19th, 2004 04:17 PM

You'd have to tell us more about how you were shooting. When you say "30 frames" what do you mean? Shutter speed? The XL1S only shoots at 30 frames/sec. How were you managing your exposure? Tv? Av? Manual? Etc.

Offhand, I'd guess that you were using a program exposure mode (probably Tv) and something was making your iris flex.

Ken Tanaka May 19th, 2004 04:21 PM

Welcome Andrew,
The standard shoulder pad is a bit of an oddity, so don't think that you're the oddball. I don't think anyone likes it.

The standard upgrade is to get an MA-100 or MA-200. These larger "pads" offer a bit more support (particularly the MA-200) and also feature XLR audio ports. (The MA-200 also features a BNC video-out connection.)

Still, even these won't make the XL1S really comfy. For that you'll need a full-blown shoulder brace such as those offered by Varizoom, DVTec, et.al.

Franco Zefferi May 19th, 2004 11:58 PM

I use this one:

http://www.cevl.com/shoulderpod.html

it is simple but really confortable.
my arms still thank me of it :)
Bye

Don Palomaki May 20th, 2004 03:16 AM

Also, what kind of lighting did you have?

Dan Naygeboren May 21st, 2004 11:05 AM

XL1 Scams on Ebay

Please beware of scam sellers on e bay of XL1 and Xl1s.

1. They are not legit sellers. Whenasked for payment the ask you to wire funds or use fake escrow services.

2. They say location is most often Canada but when they get in touch with you they are most often in Europe.

3. They as well BUY camera and merchandise and ask to ship Express and want to use escrow but they are fake.

Please do not get fooled.

Here is a list and fake escrow services and some horror stories of people losing big money to these scammers.

Dan

Ken Tanaka May 21st, 2004 11:19 AM

Indeed, while there are some good deals on eBay, there are also some nasty folks.

We have an extensive permanent thread on this topic in the business section.

Thank you for your reminder.

Andrew Paul May 22nd, 2004 10:53 AM

Xl1s / Gl2 (xm2)

Hi all,

Sorry to bother you all again but I cannot seem to find the answer to my question this forum. I found something similar in the GL2 forum, but I`m not sure if the tests where a bit biased. Anyway, here`s my question to you hardened camera users. I have recently bought an XL1S and have had a GL2 (we call it XM2 here in the UK) for about 18 months. I am still getting to know the XL1S and all its controls and I`m sure I can make the picture even better than I am getting at the moment. I took my two cameras out to the marina today and took some footage of the boats. The day was perfect, a few clouds and loads of sun. When I got home and grabbed my footage I decided to do a comparison of the footage. Colours where pretty much the same, XL1S was a bit softer, but I know I can sharpen that up a bit from the camera menu. But the footage was pretty much the same. My question is "if in a set of hands of somebody who knows wwhat they are doing, will the XL1S give a better quality picture than the GL2". Humping the XL1S around was a damn site harder than carrying the GL2 around. If the extra weight can be justified I`d happily carry it around, if not, I`ll take the GL2 out with me. I know the XL1S has the added advantage of interchangeable lens and maybe better sound capabilities, but is that it ?

Many Thanks

Andy

Andrew Paul May 23rd, 2004 01:32 AM

The XL1S Club and Canon

I remember reading somewhere that canon had a XL1S club that users could join by sending in their serial number of the camera, I think that it was only for USA residents though. Does anybody know the web address where I can see about registering and if I have to live in the USA to register. UK doesn`t seem to have anything like it on their site.

Ken Tanaka May 23rd, 2004 01:59 AM

The XL1S Owners' Club is a creation of Canon USA. I believe that it only applies to U.S. owners.