View Full Version : Value of Manfrotto tripod not in perfect condition?

Richard Grebby
June 16th, 2007, 07:51 AM
I really need some help here to sort something out.
I recently bought what I thought to be a 501HDV525PKit, this is a Manfrotto 501 HDV head on a 525 set of legs, it came with the padded bag as well.
I payed £270 for this.

When I received it I found that one of the locking levers on the upper legs was broken, I can just about manage to lock the legs but its pretty painful.
Also the head is a 501 standard head which is in great condition.

I managed to get hold of the seller and he will refund me £110, this will cover the alternate head and broken legs.

Now my question is this, is a Manfrotto 501 head on a set of 525 legs that are not in perfect condition worth £160

Also, is it possible to find a replacement locking lever for the tripod?

I really need help on this pretty quick so I can get it sorted out.

thanks in advance

Chris Hurd
June 16th, 2007, 07:56 AM
Moved from Open DV Discussion to Tripod Sticks & Heads.

Title changed from Urgent advice needed to Value of Manfrotto tripod not in perfect condition.

Please use descriptive titles instead of ambiguous ones. Thanks in advance,

Richard Grebby
June 16th, 2007, 07:59 AM
Sorry about that, was trying to get it wrote quicker than my mind was thinking.
Thanks for moving it.

Ben Britt
June 16th, 2007, 08:42 AM
I have had several parts replaced on my Manfrotto tripods. At least here in the US it was no problem & very reasonable. Just contact Manfrotto or the Manfrotto distributer

Also, is it possible to find a replacement locking lever for the tripod?

I really need help on this pretty quick so I can get it sorted out.

thanks in advance[/QUOTE]

Richard Grebby
June 16th, 2007, 10:57 AM
thanks,

anyone from the UK know what I should do?

Chris Soucy
June 16th, 2007, 09:29 PM
Did you buy this new or s/h?

If you bought it new then you are covered by the Trade Descriptions Act and a host of other stuff. If it isn't as described then the seller MUST refund the entire cost or replace it with the proper article (at YOUR discretion). If it is not fit for purpose then they must either replace it in it's entirety or refund the full cost (at YOUR discretion).

If you bought it s/h you got sold a real pup. If you bought it "sight unseen" you're a complete clot. If the seller deliberately mis - described the item he is liable and should give a COMPLETE refund, why is he giving you 110 quid?

A 501 head on a set of broken legs is worth 2/3 of 5/8 of sweet f/a.

Why can't you just contact the Manfrotto dealer in your area and get them to order the parts?

Cheers,

Chris

Richard Grebby
June 17th, 2007, 03:25 AM
Well the legs work fine, only one of the clamp levers has borken off, which means its harder to lock, thats the only problem.

Giroud Francois
June 17th, 2007, 05:08 AM
the concept of ebay is trading.
Both part of the trade are supposed to be happy of the transaction.
if you ask such question on this forum , it means you are not happy with this trade (or are you ?).
the value of what you buy and what you pay has no meaning as long you think it is ok.
So the question is : Is the final price (refund added) is ok for what you get ?
if not, ebay allows you to reverse the trade (with a significant effort).
accepting this trade while still thinking it is not ok, would be the last thing i would do.

Richard Grebby
June 17th, 2007, 09:57 AM
the concept of ebay is trading.
Both part of the trade are supposed to be happy of the transaction.
if you ask such question on this forum , it means you are not happy with this trade (or are you ?).
the value of what you buy and what you pay has no meaning as long you think it is ok.
So the question is : Is the final price (refund added) is ok for what you get ?
if not, ebay allows you to reverse the trade (with a significant effort).
accepting this trade while still thinking it is not ok, would be the last thing i would do.

This is what im asking...

Giroud Francois
June 17th, 2007, 01:06 PM
But you are the only one who can answer...
for reference :
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/487786-REG/Bogen_Manfrotto_501HDV525PKIT_525MVB_Tripod_w_501HDV_3284_.html

and 160 UK pounds =320$

so for less than half price you get something that can be probably easily fixed and fit your needs.
i do not see a reason to worry here.

Chris Soucy
June 18th, 2007, 11:40 PM
Just curious.

Cheers,

Chris

Richard Grebby
June 19th, 2007, 07:19 AM
ive decided to go with it, well as soon as I get the money from the seller. My old tripod has a 501 head on it too so im going to sell the older head, buy maybe a 503 or stick with the 501. If I choose to upgrade the head i'll sell the other 501 too after I get a new one.

Is there a massive difference between the 501, 501HDV and the 503?