View Full Version : Need Mini DV tape advice

Roze Ann
May 14th, 2003, 09:38 AM
Hi...don't know if this is the correct place to post but here is the question. I'd like opinions on the best tape stock to use for recording with a GL2. Some details on the difference between metal particle and metal evap would be great. How do those actually effect the heads? Which is less destructive to equipment? I've use Fuji's M221MP P6-60's in the past for my Hi-8 work, but digital is a whole new ball of wax for me. All advice, ideas greatly appreciated!

Roze Ann
May 14th, 2003, 09:42 AM
Ooopppsss...forgot to ask. What is the general opinion here of those small minidv rewinders? Like the old VHS rewinders? Are they safe or too rough on tape. Thanks for your help!

Glen Elliott
May 14th, 2003, 09:44 AM
I use a "Sigma" brand miniDV rewinder. Works great- good investment. As far as being rough on the DV tapes...not to my knowledge...at least I HOPE not. Definitly saves wear on the camera...plus it's always good to store all your tapes completly rewound.

Akos Szemenyei
May 14th, 2003, 10:19 AM
Actually FUJI is the best one, there was a link to an article either in this forum or someplace else, sorry cannot remember where.

Jeff Donald
May 14th, 2003, 10:31 AM
Roze, you can use the search function and find answers to your questions. Tapes are discussed on a weekly basis. Rewinders have also been discussed in the past. Some feel rewinders pose too high a risk factor for damaging the tape.

Roze Ann
May 14th, 2003, 10:52 AM
Hey Jeff...I forgot about the search button. Still getting use to this site. The info here is terrific. I'm sticking with Fuji. Any opinions on tape rewinders? Anyone else have experience with them? Any favs? Peace, R