View Full Version : Tripod for GL2?

Pages : [1] 2 3

John Lee
December 16th, 2002, 06:42 PM
I've been looking for a tripod for the GL2, but I don't have $100 to spend on it, so I've mostly been looking at some real cheap ones. Most likely I will be using the tripod for some panning and tilting, but most of the time it will probably be stationary.

I've been looking at some of the used equipment at bhphoto, but I'm really in the dark about what would be a good buy.

Any suggestions?

thank you in advance

Mark Austin
December 16th, 2002, 08:25 PM
I have found that scouring some of the local camera stores can turn up used equipment bargains once in a while, and you get to see if it's a turdie before you drop the bones on it. I picked up a Bogen with a non fluid head for about $125, but it was a $350 rig, and upgradeable when I get some more "fluid" income. eBay is a good shot too. you might try posting a thread in the "Support Your Local Camera" area here on DV Info for what people like and how stuff holds up. I have also found that if you go too cheap you have to spend your money twice (breakage / inability to do a decent job).

my 2 cents
Mark

Rich Stone
December 16th, 2002, 08:40 PM
One thing I learned about tripods a long time ago was that cheap tripods tended to be flimsy and were worse to use than no tripod at all. Save your pennies up until you can get something halfway decent, don't go the $49.99 Wal-Mart route.

John Lee
December 16th, 2002, 09:35 PM
Thanks for the advice. I'll try to holdout for a bogen, but it may be awhile. Any other recommendations?

Mark Austin
December 17th, 2002, 12:30 AM
I have a super cheap table top tripod (came with an old Sony TR700) that works great on a car hood, rock, tree limb, floor etc. It totally blows for panned shots but you could probably get someone to give you one, and it's small enough to carry in a camera bag and really super handy to have. If you look at the Punk video I shot it was the only thing I used to steady the GL2 when I shot..
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5425

Mark

Nathan Gifford
December 17th, 2002, 06:17 AM
One of the tripods that have been recommended on this site is the Libec M20. It sells for around $200 and is available from various sources.

You can use the search function on this site for M20 or TM-20 or M-20.

Happy Holidays,

Keith Luken
December 18th, 2002, 12:37 PM
I have the Libec M2-, very nice and stable, excellent for the price range!

Scott Silverman
January 7th, 2003, 12:47 AM
Hi,
I am looking for a tripod setup for my new GL2 under $450. Here are two links to the two main competators in my mind. Which one would be better for the GL2 and the performance of everything. I shoot everything including theatrical productions so I need a good smooth tripod. These are just two, any other suggestions would be great.

Libec M20 - $195
http://www.zotzdigital.com/?page=shop/flypage&product_id=108&category_id=e85ae6b4d64ca52766afa4b87ff0212d

Bogen 3221WN with 503 (3460) Head - $402
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bh5.sph/FrameWork.class?FNC=ProductActivator__Aproductlist_html___217268___BO3221WN3460___REG___CatID=0___SI D=F2D175197A0

Jeff Donald
January 9th, 2003, 08:05 AM
The bogen is a little better tripod in terms of the fluid head adjustments and movements. I would also say the Bogen is built better and should out last the Libec, given reasonable care. Is it worth the extra $200? Probably not, if your thinking of upgrading your camera in a few years. The Libec is very serviceable and a great bargain at it's price. If money is not a big issue, I'd get the Bogen, it will last longer and hold it's value better should you want to sell it.

Jeff

Keith Luken
January 9th, 2003, 12:43 PM
I love my Libec M20, but I am not a pro. It is very stable and the head is very fluid in movement, although it does tend to have an ever so slight jerk when first moving it, nothing noticable.

Steve Leone
January 9th, 2003, 04:42 PM
cheap tripods will have a tendency to"torque" or twist, when you set heavey drag...also , the cheap heads will have a lot of "hysterisis", which will cause the head to want to continue in a direction once it starts to move...makes it very hard to do nice smooth moves....its worth it to get a good tripod and head.....look for brokers of used gear...LA and NY have lots of them

Stewart McDonald
April 2nd, 2003, 06:44 AM
I don't want to be spending silly money, but don't want some cheap effort either. Any recomendations? Do tripods fit all cameras, or are some made specifically for a certain brand. I heard fluid heads are the way to go if you want smooth pans (which I want)

Thanks

Nathan Gifford
April 2nd, 2003, 10:18 AM
Do a search on this website for the Libec M20. Most people like it for the GL2, but at least one or two have not.

Will Fastie
April 2nd, 2003, 12:47 PM
I use a Bogen 3021 with a 3130 fluid head. This head has a quick release plate. The combo at B&H costs $189, about the same as the Libec. I actually have two of these, which tells you I'm happy. I also have a Bogen monopod with a quick release head. I'm able to move my camera from one support to another rapidly and also to remove it for a handheld shot if needed.

The only complaint I have about the Libec is that it lacks a center column. That means you have to make fine height adjustments with the tripod rather than the column. Other than that, it seems very solid.

My camcorder is a GL2, by the way.

Will

Rob Easler
April 2nd, 2003, 10:21 PM
I'm sure everyone will disagree with me but...I really dont like the libec I bought. The cheap velbon fluid head I have is smoother at pans than the libec. I feel like I look more professional with the libec but at the end of the day the velbon is smoother. Also the hardware that is the brace between the legs is very thin metal and it easily broke where it joins with the leg. I want to try the Bogden 501 head and some sticks but I cant buy another tripod so soon.

Marco Leavitt
April 2nd, 2003, 11:06 PM
I have the Libec and feel like it's a good solid purchase for the money, although I didn't know there was a decent Bogen combo for the same money when I bought it. The legs on the Libec do have a flimsy feel to them, but they're suprisingly solid when it's all set up. I did have one problem. The lever for the horizontal pan never locked down tight until I pried it off and stuck it back on in a better position. Still, I'm pretty happy with the thing and don't expect to replace it for a couple of years when I can spend a lot more money. Forget about pulling off a diagonal pan with the Libec though. It's never going to happen. I'd take the ball head on the Libec over the center column on the Bogen by the way, but that's just me.

Michael Buendia
April 3rd, 2003, 12:08 AM
this is my experience with the libec m20.

if possible buy it in person-test it out with your camera. i ordered one from b&h and it was horrible. i tested 3 out at a local store in burbank and found one that was fantastic. the other two were so so.

for the price and performance it can't be beat. i was close to spending more on either a gitzo or a cartoni but the the movement wasn't that much better in either that i could justify the extra expense.

other manufacturers might use better material in the legs but the libec head is pretty tight. the insides of the lower end bogens(501), gitzos and cartonis are all plastic. libec is metal.

it does the job for me and if the materials cause me any problems in the future hopefully by that time there will be a miller i could afford or someone will come out with a model that's kicks my ass!

you must remember that the gl2 is so light it's hard to find a head that works well with it. you willl find some heads to be too light (drag) or others too stiff. some may look and feel better (quality of materials) but it's all about how it handles once you have your gear on it. libec m20 is my bet!

Stewart McDonald
April 3rd, 2003, 01:05 AM
Thanks for your replys.

http://www.cke-distribution.sageweb.co.uk/catalogue/pr1698.htm

How about this tripod? I couldn't find a Libec M20 on a UK site.

RedeyeRob
April 3rd, 2003, 12:55 PM
Yeah, your link to the 650 is the same animal as the M20

Noka Aldoroty
April 4th, 2003, 04:56 PM
I use a Bogen/Manfrotto 3001PRO Tripod and 3130 Fluid Head with my GL2, and I recommend them highly.

The 3001PRO is particularly useful, as each leg of the tripod is independently adjustable, which is helpful for fitting into tigh spots, plus has a neat feature which allows you to remount the center column horizontally for overhead or shooting straight down onto a subject. It folds up very compact and is pretty light weight compared to some others.

Depending on what you're shooting, I think these are good models to at least look into.

Good luck.

Joshua Wachs
April 5th, 2003, 06:49 PM
I went a bit overboard and got the 503 head as I got a deal I couldn't pass up. That being said, this head with the 3280B tripod is an absolute dream to work with.

-- Schwa

Jesse James
November 27th, 2003, 03:56 PM
I'm looking for a GL2 tripod for backpacking and wildlife filming and interviews. Budget is about $500.

Stable but light as possible.

Using a Manfrotta 3130 head and Manfrotto 3001 sticks with digital camera right now.

I've read about the adjustable mounting plates to keep the center of balance of camera over the tripod. Need that too if possible. I also like being able to put mount plates on several cameras or spotting scope for quick changes.

Any other considerations to keep in mind?

Are the spike legs a must?

Thanks for the help.

Frank Granovski
November 27th, 2003, 05:29 PM
Spikes ARE a must.

Michael Connor
December 30th, 2003, 07:44 PM
There are seemingly 100's of tripods and supports available. I'm fairly new to this business, and I have a tripod that "will do" for now. However, being aware that most of my "filming" will not be from a tripod, and not having the steadiest of hands, I have been looking at a shoulder support that is available, and also a 'body pod;' both retail at around £100-ish, or $140-ish. Obviously there are "super-duper" models available at far greater prices. But within this price region, I was wondering if anyone has such used products or advice on any one such piece of versatile equipment---so I can get better shots on the move. Thanks.

Rob Lohman
January 1st, 2004, 11:52 AM
Did you search and look in this forum? The question has been
asked a lot and answered as well. Thanks.

Michael Connor
January 2nd, 2004, 04:50 AM
yea actually i did. Many hours but not found right info. Will continue the hunt. Thankyou for your assistance.

Mike Daley
January 3rd, 2004, 09:28 AM
I found the Bogen 3283 legs and 503 head to be a great combo for the GL1-2 and other small cameras.

The 503 is preferred over the 501 head because it is sturdier and provides silky smooth pans and tilts.

Both are available as a set or you can purchase them separately. Figure to pay about $500-600 for them.

If you can locate an O'Connor Model 50 head that is also a good one. Much overkill for the small cameras but a nice head no less. Sometimes you can find them used for a couple hundred bucks. Price new is several thousand dollars.

Ken Tanaka
January 3rd, 2004, 11:11 AM
Michael,
Varizoom (http://www.varizoom.com/pages/supportindex.php) makes at least two models of shoulder supports for small cameras. I own one, although I do not use it very often. It's well made and thoughtfully designed.

I assume that by "body pod" you mean a stabilizer such as the Glidecam 2000 with the accessory shoulder/waist support. The G2K is a good budget, hand-held stabilizer for small cameras. However, mounting it on the "Body Pod" defeats the shock absorbtion provided by your arm in normal use. So the body pod greatly degrades the G2K's performance. (It can, however, provide a good resting spot for the unit between shots...and you will need to rest!)

David Ho
January 21st, 2004, 04:51 AM
I am going to cash in the $250 rebate from my GL2 which I will recieve soon and hope to buy some accessories for it. I am upgrading my old tripod to a new one and in search for a tripod that's $250 or less with smooth movement, good features, and very stable. From what I've read and heard are some Bogen 3000series tripod and the Libec M20 is best for the GL2. I also am getting a LANC controller for the GL2 which is the ZR-1000. According to the manual, it says that the ZR-1000 is hooked up to a LANC controller either on the tripod or on the camera, does this mean that I will need to find a tripod that has the slot or can it just hook up the camera or what?

Jean-Philippe Archibald
January 21st, 2004, 08:12 AM
The connector of a LANC controller must be hooked in the camcorder AND the controller itself can be attached to ANY tripod's handle.

Chris Wright
April 2nd, 2004, 04:07 PM
I am looking for the best tripod I can buy for around $100 - $150. It will be used with my GL2 for shooting weddings and other video projects.

After searching the forums, I came across these models...

1. Bogen-Manfrotto 3180N
$177 at Adorama

2. Bogen - Manfrotto 3021BP Pro
$147 at Adorama

Would anyone recommend one of these two products or are there better options out there? I really can not spend any more than the 3180N at $177

thanks!

Graham Bernard
April 2nd, 2004, 04:19 PM
Just bought a set of Manfrottos legs, fluid head AND a Manfrotto Dolly .. .. how much? £90 . . 2nd hand .. . neat eh?!?!?

Secondhand stuff, outsioed the actual commie I don't have a problem .. .

Grazie

Joe Cirino
June 3rd, 2004, 04:42 PM
I need value and quality in one neat price.

Nick Reed
June 5th, 2004, 11:25 AM
I am not very familiar with tripods in the $150 range but I did happen to see one in store a couple of months back that I thought was fairly decent. It was significantly better than the $100 Vanguards or whatever it was that I have seen at Fry's and such places.

It is the Davis & Sanford Pro Vista with F12 head, see it here...

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=223630&is=REG

IIRC the head was surprisingly smooth, not a fluid head, but for $150 it was the best that I have seen.

Joe Cirino
June 8th, 2004, 10:53 AM
THANKS!!

I just ordered it. Ill let you know how it is. The salesperson said it is a great tripod for the money.

Thanks again!

Nick Reed
June 9th, 2004, 12:32 PM
I am sure there are many people who could use a good $150 pod. The Velbons and other inexpensive pods are fine for still cams but not for video.

The Davis-Sanford is the only one that I have seen that has video potential. I don't think that I would put anything larger than a GL2 on it. Let us know what you think. Why don't you write a mini-review of it after you have checked it out.

I hope you are happy with the pod and it serves you well.

K. Forman
June 9th, 2004, 12:46 PM
I believe Slik has a model around that price range.

Joe Cirino
June 9th, 2004, 01:05 PM
I will write a review. I will also have picutres for you as well....stay tuned! Hey Nick, I forgot to mention that when speaking to the Band H sales person, he said that he ALWAYS forgets to tell people about the David pod because its such a good deal for the money.

Thanks guys!!
Joe

Its amazing how the internet has changed the world of information and buying products.

Nick Reed
June 24th, 2004, 11:59 AM
Joe,

Did you get your tripod? If so, I'd like to hear about it.

Joe Cirino
June 24th, 2004, 12:55 PM
Thanks Nick for reminding me.

Review of a $150 Davis and Sanford from B&H video/photo online retailer
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=223630&is=REG

Legend:

1=Poor..., 5=Average..., 10=Outstanding

Pictures are here
http://www.hyperjoes.com/tripod/index.htm

Since I ONLY have expirience with cheap Vanguard tripods-$35 and up, this is my FIRST quality tripod, so for those looking for a review compared to a Bogen-I have never touched one. Review is based on how well it does the job. For all I know, there may be Bogens that don't come close to this baby!

1. Canvas Bag=8. The bad has a side zipper pocket, although it does not have anyway to attach a shoulder strap. Well constructed and able to do the job effectively.

2. Fluid Head=8. Smooth and easy to adjust. It will do the job and does not studder when panning/tilting. Several adjustments for tilt, pan-lock, weight of camera, level, ect. I would say they could of used better metal for the handle, its strong, but not the best quality. The quick connect/disconnect is heavy and well made. Works like a dream. Addtional Quick connects are under $10.

3. Aluminum Frame/tripod=9. SOLID and STURDY 8.8lbs. Easy to adjust and expand, although I wish they would of used better locking thumb adjusters. They seem after a few hundred uses, they may bust off, I could be wrong. Feet are large and grip the ground. I could not tip this baby over if I had to. Paint seems to stick on metal fine. May be prone to scratches, but thats what you get with a black pod.

Overall=8.3
Feel free to ask questions

Joe

Nick Reed
June 24th, 2004, 01:51 PM
Joe,

Sounds like you are pretty happy with your pod. Whew, that's a relief to me. I would have been felt responsible if my recommendation had disappointed you but I was relatively sure that you would be happy for $150 or I would not have recommended it.

Your pics and description suggest that it is an excellent buy for the money.

What is the largest cam that you would recommend putting on this pod? I only looked at it very briefly in the store and kind of got the impression that the GL2 would be the max but I couldn't say for sure.

You may be able to buy better thumb screws for it at Home Depot or Lowe's. I think they sell something like this.

Joe Cirino
June 24th, 2004, 02:14 PM
I am very happy with it. Maximum weight allowed on pod is 13 lbs. Gl2 is like under 5lbs.

Thumbs are nothing to worry right now, it may never be anything to worry about.

Prech Marton
June 24th, 2004, 11:53 PM
Hi!

Around 200$ which tripod+head is the best combination for my new XM2 camcorder? I film almost always in nature, outdoor.

I want a really really smooth horizontal movement.
So i guess i need a fluid head. But which one do you use/prefer?

In Hungary there are some manfrotto (128RC, 501 PRO, 503PRO)
and the Unomat PSV 909.

Are these good enough for my nature projects?

thx,
Marton

Alan McCormick
June 25th, 2004, 05:56 AM
Marton,

I use the 503, it is very smooth and you have full control over the drag on tilt and pan to suit your specific needs.

Robin Davies-Rollinson
June 25th, 2004, 06:25 AM
Seconded - the 503 is very good value for the money. I've been very happy with it...

Robin.

Federico Dib
June 25th, 2004, 07:20 AM
If you go the Manfrotto way, I doubt you can get the 503 head + legs for $200 new here in Europe.
So you might want to raise your budget a little bit...

Don´t know why Manfrotto is made in Italy, but it´s cheaper in the US than in Europe...

Of course if can find that tripod set for about 200 in Hungary, let me know.. and maybe I´d be visiting Hungary soon :-)

In your case, doing outdoors..I think a ball leveler is a must.... so check that too.. otherwise you´d go crazy adjusting the tripod legs on uneven ground to get a leveled shot.

Prech Marton
June 25th, 2004, 07:36 AM
You are welcome here in Hungary :))

Yeah 503 isn't cheap..
But i'm not sure i need a ball leveler. The XM2 has a nice 16:9 horizontal guides, so i can check the correct picture :)

Allen Brodsky
June 25th, 2004, 07:51 AM
I second Federico's recommendation of a ball leveler. Even with your cam's horizontal guides, without a ball leveler you will need to adjust the tripod legs, shortening one, checking the level, adjust the leg again, check the level, etc. If you purchase the 503, the ball leveler is well under $100 (at least in the US), and would be a great convenience for you. It's just one adjustment at the top of your tripod.

Boyd Ostroff
June 25th, 2004, 08:22 AM
Yeah, the ball leveller is definitely worthwhile for outdoors work, I don't know how I ever lived without mine. As Allen says, it isn't a question of whether you can get the tripod level, it's a question of how fast. With the ball leveller it only takes a couple seconds. Messing with the tripod legs can take a minute. I used a 3221 tripod without a ball for awhile and the leg snaps are really nasty on it and can pinch/bruise even when you're careful. You definitely don't want to mess with these any more than you have to!

The 501 is probably a good compromise for the money, but it really depends on what you're shooting. When you say "nature projects", would that include things like extreme telephoto shots of wildlife? I really found the 501 unacceptable for that sort of thing after several years of use and upgraded to a Miller DS-5. The Miller gives much, much smoother movement but this comes at a price... around $800.

If your budget is really $200 I think you'll need to make some compromises unfortunately. In that case maybe the ball leveller is something you will need to wait on. Aside from the nasty leg snaps, the Manfrotto 3221/501 might be a starting point for you. B&H sells it for $274 which includes a nice soft carrying case http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=217267&is=REG. You could save about $40 by using the micro fluid head http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=332342&is=REG however I wouldn't do it for that price. I had one of these heads several years ago and was not happy with it.

Joe Cirino
June 25th, 2004, 04:44 PM
Check out my report on this $150 tripod. I love it

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?s=&threadid=27011