View Full Version : Tripod for GL2?

Pages : 1 [2] 3

Kevin James
June 25th, 2004, 08:35 PM
What about the new 700RC2? It seems to have less "bounce" than the older micro fluid head.......

Federico Dib
June 26th, 2004, 05:47 AM
I have the 700RC2...

Itīs a very good head... once you get the hang of it..
Itīs not as soft as the 501, actually I find quite hard, but for my clumsy hands thatīs actually a good thing.
But still I would not use it for very fast panning, (not that I have had the need to do that yet).

Itīs also very small and light weighted so thatīs pretty good when you donīt have a car and have to travel hour and a half by metro, train, bus and walk with all your stuff on your back

Iīve used this head with my XM2 and it has worked very well for me and itīs price is very good..

But I think itīs a little small for this size of cameras... and keep in mind.. It will do the job.. but itīs a very simple head so donīt expect more than it can give.

Once I borrowed the 501 head, I keep thinking I should have saved more and gotten that one.

Prech Marton
June 27th, 2004, 04:45 AM
Boyd

When i say "nature projects" it does not include things like extreme telephoto shots of wildlife.
Almost always at full wide range of my xm2's zoom.
I like the mountains, and the slow, smooth pans.

Thank you for the links!

Marton

Jeff Toogood
June 30th, 2004, 12:09 PM
The free Miller I had lined up at a local TV station ended up being given to someone else *sigh*

Anyways, I need a better tripod than the crappy Sony remote tripod I am using right now.

My local shop has these three kits available

MANFROTTO 190D+700RC2 MINI PRO VIDEO KIT - $249 Canadian

MANFROTTO 055A W/501 VIDEO HEAD - $329 Canadian

MANFROTTO 756B W/501 VIDEO HEAD - $438.99 Canadian

Which one of these kits would work best with a Moderately equipped GL2 (wide angle lens, big battery, shotgun mic, etc.)

Dan Selakovich
July 4th, 2004, 08:51 AM
Hi Jeff,

In my book "Killer Camera Rigs" I recommend using a surveyor's tripod. These are dirt cheap (about $65 U.S.), and work fine for DV work. You'll need a spreader (which I show you how to build as well). You'll save so much on your sticks this way that you'll have more money to spend on a fluid head. Get the best one you can afford! Having said that, you really don't need one rated for more than 6 pound cameras. I bought a used O'connor 25 years ago, and it's still going strong, so you might check ebay for a used head.

Good luck,

dan
www.DVcameraRigs.com

Jeff Toogood
July 6th, 2004, 06:12 AM
Well I ended up ordering 028 legs (3046) and the 501 Head.

Should be here by the end of the week. Hopefully I made a good choice.

K. Forman
July 6th, 2004, 06:27 AM
I wish I had checked this thread sooner Jeff, because I would have recommended going with a 503, and NOT the 501. I find it sticky when panning, unless it is loosened all the way, at which point it jiggles.

Others have said they have no problems, and it may just be my luck and a bad head. Hopefully your legs are heavier than my 3001 are, and will eliminate some of the problems I have.

Jeff Toogood
July 6th, 2004, 08:07 AM
I really wanted to get the 503 head, but I had to go with what I could afford right now, plus the 501 head was on sale.

The 3046 legs are pretty heavy duty so maybe they will eliminate some of the problems with the 501

ANYTHING will be better than my Sony Remote tripod that shakes violently everytime I touch the pan handle!!!!

Jeff Toogood
July 8th, 2004, 07:17 AM
Received the Head and Sticks yesterday and so far I am very impressed with them.
The sticks are almost 8 feet TALL when fully extended!!!
So far I really like the 501 head as well. I guess in comparison to what I was using, it is a HUGE improvement.

Here's a pic of it setup in my office
http://members.rogers.com/digitaliso/tripod1.jpg

And a shot of my GL2 on it at home
http://members.rogers.com/digitaliso/gl2_a.jpg

Kevin Galliford
July 17th, 2004, 10:22 AM
I just purchased a tripod, 59.99 @ Ritz Camera it's a Quantary, it's Ok. Is that a BAD Move? It seems like it has a weird pan to it, not that smooth. I dopnt know if it has a fluid head on it or not, it doesnet say. Any reccomendations on a tripod under 200.00, that has a fluid head?

There tooo expensive.

Please let me know

Jeff Toogood
July 18th, 2004, 07:18 PM
for $59.99 I highly doubt it has a fluid head.

I don't think there are any sub $200 systems that have a fluid head. Sorry.

Nick Reed
July 18th, 2004, 10:28 PM
I don't think there is a fluid head for less than $500 (head alone).

I recommended this pod to another GL2 owner and he said he was very happy with it. It is the Davis & Sanford, sold by B&H for $150. I just happened to see it one day in a camera shop and thought the head was much better than the standard Velbon and such.

There are two models. The ProVista with double tubes and the Super Brace, with single tubes.

ProVista...

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=223630&is=REG

Super Brace...

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=NavBar&A=getItemDetail&Q=&sku=229577&is=REG&si=feat#goto_itemInfo

Chris Thomas
July 19th, 2004, 12:34 AM
I just got Manfrotto 055CL legs and a 501 head for $340 CAD (around $250 US), and I am very pleased with it. I had a look at the Manfrotto 128RC head too, and thought that it was a good one as well, and a little more than $80 cheaper than the 501. You could put that on the Manfrotto 190 CL legs for under $200 US, and likely get much better results.

I upgraded from a Velbon CX586 mini-pro fluid head that I used with my old handicam, and the new setup is way more stable and fluid with the GL2.

Ron Severdia
August 8th, 2004, 02:04 AM
I got this one for my GL2

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=NavBar&A=getItemDetail&Q=&sku=283759&is=REG&si=spec#goto_itemInfo

And it's great. Out of all the tripods I researched, it's the tripod that folds down the smallest and adjusts to the highest shooting height. So it's pretty portable and still gives good height. The legs are all independent (which is a must for a decent tripod), the quick-release plate is handy, and the head is pretty smooth for panning (3-way). Helluva deal for $113 and Bogen quality.

Stephen Sobel
October 22nd, 2004, 05:24 PM
Does anyone have experience with the Gitzo G-1228 tripod legs? How about the Gitzo G-2380 video fluid head? I'm considering them as a combo to take while hiking.

Alternatively, is anyone familiar with the Manfrotto (or Bogen?) 3443 legs? How do they compare with the Gitzo legs above? Would the Gitzo head above work with the Manfrotto legs? If not, is there a comparable Manfrotto video head?

Ken Tanaka
October 22nd, 2004, 11:03 PM
Stephen,
I use the Manfrotto 3443 CF legs for still photo work. It's a nice, light and compact tripod for photography.

But the problem with trying to use this, or the Gitzo, tripod for video work is that they're not really well designed for this application. Both have center columns and no accommodation for video-style heads, the better of which require bowls to accommodate their quick-leveling features. Also, photo tripods do not require the same degree of torsional rigidity that video/film tripod must have in order to prevent movement during pans and tilts. Basically, most photo legs just have to resist gravity and little else.

So I'd strongly recommend that you shop for a tripod and head specifically designed for video work. Bogen/Manfrotto makes several good models and combinations for relatively moderate budgets and loads (such as the GL2). Browse through this section to get some opinions (we have hundreds).

Stephen Sobel
October 23rd, 2004, 12:50 PM
I don't recall if it was the Gitzo web site or not, but I thought I saw somewhere the Gitzo G-1228 legs worked for video as well as still photography.

Do you know how the Gitzo or Manfrotto compare to the Libec M20?

Stephen Sobel
October 23rd, 2004, 07:22 PM
Has anyone used the Gitzo G-1348 legs?

Alan Craven
October 24th, 2004, 01:32 AM
I have not noticed the torsional rigidity problem Ken refers to with my G1127 legs, but the very lightness of the legs means that they tend to move on smooth surfaces when panning - Newton's third law and all that. Hanging a weighted bag from the centre column helps.

When I bought them I tested the torsional rigidity against similar Manfrotto and Velbon legs and the Gitzo were markedly superior. Perhaps French carbon fibre has something the others do not!

A solution to the rapid levelling problem is the Manfrotto Compact Levelling head (Cat. no. 438 in Europe, Bogen code 3502 in USA).

The problem then, of course, is that adding extras like this cancels out the weight gain of those lovely expensive carbon legs.

Jay Stevens
March 22nd, 2005, 09:46 AM
Purchased the 3126 head yesterday then took it outside to test it. Feels good but I noticed on playback that the pans and tilts were kind of jumpy or uneven/inconsistent speed. Is it just me, the operator, who needs more practice or is it the head itself? What are some suggestions for the GL2 if you want smooth action while shooting short films? Is this a good head for this type of shooting(movies, drama, etc.)?

Jay

Mariano L. Honrado Jr.
March 22nd, 2005, 01:59 PM
Hello Jay:

The most important feature or rating of tripod and head combos is its max load. In my experience I would set that, at least, at twice the weight of the camera. The 3126 is rated at 8.9 lbs. and seems plenty enough for the GL2 to keep it stable. I assume you've got enough tripod capacity for BOTH the head+camera combo.

The issue of jumpy pans and shifts are more likely related to the "locking" screws' tension. For a completely fluid (pun intended!) experience I normally keep them loose since good heads have a certain amount of spring-loaded resistance for smooth starts and stops. If you keep those screws too tight then you intend to lock down the camera and prevent its movement. Coupled with spring resistance, normal friction will cause those jumpy pans and shifts.

Mabuhay!

Mariano

Kelvin Kelm
March 22nd, 2005, 04:08 PM
I recently purchased a 700RC head (one step above the 3126) that had a noticeable stick at the beginning of the pan. I took it back to the store and got a second one that worked perfectly - very smooth.

Mike Donley
March 23rd, 2005, 09:22 AM
Were you zoomed in? Slight imperfections in controling pan or tilt will be more noticable if you are zoomed in. When zoomed in tight, even touching the handle might cause a little jiggle in the image. So it takes a VERY light touch to get smooth pans and tilts when zoomed in.

Jay Stevens
March 23rd, 2005, 05:14 PM
Thanks for all the input. MARIANO, do you own the 3126??? If so, have you shot any movie stuff with it and how does it look? Is it as smooth as any higher priced head if I do leave the screws all the way loose? Thanks,

Jay

Mariano L. Honrado Jr.
March 24th, 2005, 12:43 AM
Hello Jay:

I actually use a 701RC2 fluid head sitting atop a 055WNB tripod. It has a neat feature that allows the mounting plate to be moved forward/backward in order to "balance" the camera (i.e., in theory, locks the shift/tilt even if the locking screws are not tightened).

I only tighten the locking screws ever so lightly just to prevent "drift" but, of course, pan and tilt against the spring load. I do get smooth footage. During wedding vows I like to tighten the screws for a rock-steady framing.

Cheers and Mabuhay!

Mariano

John Kim
April 27th, 2005, 03:37 AM
This is a bit off topic, but here goes... I'm shooting macro with my gl1..
What tripod is best suited for this?

Problems During Marco Filming are:

1. Hand vibrations/jittery...
2. More vibration during change of direction... (i.e. panning right to left, then quickly left to right.)

Any Fluid head suggestions?

Thanks,

John

Tim Agnew
May 31st, 2005, 01:10 PM
Hi all:

Can anyone suggest a decent (reasonable priced) tripod for my GL2? I was wondering about the remote devices, too- do these all attach to the tripod or are they hand held and connected to a wire? Suggestions appreciated. My price range of course is in the low-low budget area....

David Ennis
May 31st, 2005, 02:52 PM
As soon as you can, you will want to get a real professional video tripod. They make a world of difference. But in the meantime you can get the one in the link below for about $130. It's an excellent value. I have one and it served me well until I got a really good tripod. I still use it occasionally for noncritical events when I don't want to lug in my heavy tripod. It's reasonably tall with a geared center post and bubble level, it's lightweight, has a built in remote control on the handle that works with the GL2, comes with a bag, and has very smooth pan and tilt movement even though it's not a fluid head. The down side is that it is not ruggedly built. So if you hit it with your knee while filming, or even take hold of the pan bar carelessly, you'll get some shake in your video. I don't think you can do better than this for the money. The zoom control on the remote works quite well. The link below is for B&H but they are currently out of stock. You can find more stores at pricegrabber.com.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=179980&is=REG

Tim Agnew
May 31st, 2005, 03:17 PM
Thanks- but what's the remote do? Is it to minimize shaking during filming? Is this attached to the tripod or is it held in your hand? I was considering the Davis & Sanford ProVista Video Tripod, but then I'd need the remote device. Thanks

David Ennis
May 31st, 2005, 09:25 PM
The remote is built into the handle of the tripod. It has a record/pause button, a power standby button and a zoom control rocker. Also a button to take stills. There is a cord that plugs into the LANC port on the GL2. The idea is that the same hand that controls panning and tilting can also smoothly control the zoom.

Chris Hurd
May 31st, 2005, 11:12 PM
Tim, see the discussion threads that are listed at the top of this forum's index page. They link to Ken Tanaka's reviews of the VariZoom Rock and the Zoe DV-L controllers -- those two articles will give you plenty to read about how these controllers work and why they're such a good idea. Oh, and those links to the articles are:

http://www.dvinfo.net/articles/camaccs/vzrock.php

and

http://www.dvinfo.net/articles/camaccs/zoedvlanc.php

Hope this helps,

Jeremiah Rickert
June 3rd, 2005, 11:22 PM
Will the tripod that's linked above control a GL1 as well? I have seen zoom commanders for the GL1, but they seem priced as much as that tripod/control is combined.

Jeremiah

Tim Agnew
June 4th, 2005, 09:01 AM
I went with the Davis & Sanford ProVista- seems more durable for the bucks. I'll eventually get a controller. Everyone I spoke with is very happy with this product.

Darko Flajpan
June 6th, 2005, 01:25 AM
Tim, I had also that kind of dillema and bought cheap Hama (130$) tripod for my XM2. That was a waste of money. All i got from that tripod was frustration (levelling and setup was nigtmare, legs were very weak, head was awful etc...) I recently bought slightly used Vinten Pro5 on eBay for 300$. Working like a charm and kicking myself for spending money on something which is now somewhere in my basement. Investing is good tripod is essential, since you will have it for long, long period.

Will Hayes
December 29th, 2005, 11:20 PM
Hey guys, I just got a gl2 for christmas. Its a huge upgrade from my old sharp handicam. Now I am not a professional, (i am only 14), but I do need a tripod. I have a budget of up to 300. I would enjoy a fluid head for easy panning, and i dont really need a remote, I really dont see the use of one. Also, are there any other must have accessories, i am planning on purchasing a wd-58h wide angle converter, because the first short film i am going to shoot is a ping pong movie, and the room isnt that big. Thanks guys, Will.

Bill Ball
January 2nd, 2006, 08:45 AM
I have used the Libec TH-M20 for my GL-2 for three years and it works out really well with that camera and mounted accessories. The head seems very smooth. The legs are not super strong so it would probably not stand up to rough treatment.

$189 at BHphoto.com

K. Forman
January 2nd, 2006, 12:39 PM
IF you should look at Bogen Manfrotto, skip the 501 head, and get the 503. The 501 isn't very fluid.

Loren Roberts
January 2nd, 2006, 08:43 PM
I mentioned that I like the 701RC2 as a cheap alternative for the GL2 in this thread (http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=41806&highlight=gl2+701rc2). I still like them for an inexpensive head -- they have travelled throughout Asia with me and they have held up nicely.

Marco Leavitt
January 3rd, 2006, 08:15 AM
I like and use the Libec, but if you have the extra cash definitely go for the Bogen with 501 head. I don't think you're going to find the 503 with sticks for $300. The rule with tripods is you spend as much as you can possibly afford. There's almost no limit.

K. Forman
January 3rd, 2006, 10:42 AM
I will have to argue this with you Marco... The 501 wasn't too bad under the extra weight, but with the GL1, it sticks too bad when starting a pan. Add to this the 2001 legs I have are a tad flimsy, they actually twist when panning. In order to overcome this, I am forced to grab the neck in a deathgrip with one hand. It may be I just got a bad head, and cheap legs, but it isn't that great a combo for me.

If I had it to do over again, I would buy a $35 dollar tripod from Walmart, and put the extra $200 into batteries- good batteries, and not the $30 knock offs. But, this is just my opinion.

Marco Leavitt
January 3rd, 2006, 11:53 AM
Well, I was basically saying that the 501 head will pan way -- way -- better than the Libec. I don't think too many people would seriously prefer a plastic toy tripod over the 501 either.

K. Forman
January 3rd, 2006, 03:15 PM
As far as I can tell, the only difference is $200... and the big name stamped on it. However,, I can't compare it to libec- never had one.

Paul Deaney
January 5th, 2006, 04:38 AM
Hey guys, I just got a gl2 for christmas. Its a huge upgrade from my old sharp handicam. Now I am not a professional, (i am only 14), but I do need a tripod. I have a budget of up to 300. I would enjoy a fluid head for easy panning, and i dont really need a remote, I really dont see the use of one. Also, are there any other must have accessories, i am planning on purchasing a wd-58h wide angle converter, because the first short film i am going to shoot is a ping pong movie, and the room isnt that big. Thanks guys, Will.

Buy the wide angle, you will never regret it. Regarding the tripod, try before you buy if you can.

Will Hayes
January 18th, 2006, 05:00 PM
Thanks for the advice. I have enough money for just about any tripod I want, but my dad says i should start out with a small tripod. Is that good advice. I feel if i go ahead and get a good one now then i wont have to buy another one. But one of my other options is buying a stabilizer, in which i would spend all my money and wouldnt have any money for a tripod. But the fact that the stabilizers could maybe take the place of a tripod in some instances has got me on the fence. So what do you guys think?

EDIT: The stabilizer i am thinking about is the Indicam,

Paul Deaney
January 31st, 2006, 03:38 AM
Hi Will, I'd suggest you buy the best tripod or at least focus on a true fluid head otherwise you'll get quite frustrated with the "jerkyness" of a cheaper head especially at high magnification. Regarding the indie/steady/glide cam I have to admit that I too am on the fence.

Regards

Marco Leavitt
January 31st, 2006, 07:51 AM
Go for the best tripod you can scrounge up the money to buy. It's not something you'll grow out of. Forget about the stabilizer for now. That should be way down on the list of priorities.

James R Cooper
February 3rd, 2006, 11:21 AM
Being a "scruffy student" I saved up some cash and got a Manfrotto 055CL and 128RC head for my VX2100. They only arrived today but first impressions are good, especially for the price

Robert Viator
January 16th, 2007, 08:37 PM
Hello all, this is my first post on the forums and I am in dire need of some guidance from all of you who are more experienced than myself... which is in fact all of you. I'm currently using a crappy tripod i bought from best buy on the fly one day when i needed to do some on the spot filming. After filming my Practicum film using the tripod and my GL2 i came to the conclusion that i must fork out some more cash to get a suitable tripod for filming at a student level. Since I am a student my current budget is in the $250 price range and from what i can see the Bogen/manfrotto systems on B&H are probably the only tripods i will be able to afford. I'm really just looking to get the most bang for my buck. If there are any better suggestions that may cost a little more but would be better in the long run then please fire away. With tax season coming up i may be able to spare a little more cash. I am looking to get this tripod within the next couple weeks seeing as i must start filming by the beginning of February. The floor is yours, take it away...

Robert

Kyle Prohaska
January 16th, 2007, 11:40 PM
Bogen is a respectable company and they're probably your best bet. They have some nice ones at B&H like you said. Look at the ones with the 501 head, the 503 will be too much but their 501 head packages are great for your budget.

- Kyle

Paul Reichelt
January 16th, 2007, 11:58 PM
501 or 503 is best bang for your buck.