View Full Version : What is BEST bag for the V1U?

Trey Dillen
April 8th, 2007, 06:17 PM
I have had my V1U since december and i still do not have a bag for it. I need a bag that will fit the camera safely and will also offer some room for accessories. Anyone out there have any suggestions???

Max Volki
April 9th, 2007, 12:21 AM
Dos it have to be a "soft bag" or could it be a "hard case" as in the picture?

I always "built" the interior myself, when I acquired a new cam from VX-1000, PD-150 to a V1E.

If you are interested, I can explain in details
Made in two layers. Top holds camera, lenses, ect
Bottom for tapes, cables and charger, aso

This case is also accepted as "cabin baggage” by airlines (Europe)

We call it a “Pilot case” and it is made from alu

volki

Bob Magill
April 9th, 2007, 12:01 PM
You might want to check out the f.64 camcorder case. I bought one from
B & H photo for my V1 for $56. It has the waist straps and shoulder straps. It has an overflap on top that will protect all the compartments from rain. I mainly use the waist belt set up which can be tucked away in its own compartment. Best bag for the money.

Trey Dillen
April 9th, 2007, 04:23 PM
Max, that case looks great for traveling but i think i would prefer a soft case for local transporting. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Bob, that case looks good for the money and it is the style i am looking for, but when i see a bag that cheap, it makes me wonder how well it will hold up. I'm probably looking to get a bag from a better known brand and for anywhere from $100-$250 (preferably not $250 haha).

If you guys dont no of a specific bag, at least a brand. (kata, portabrace, etc) This would be my first time buying a bag so i have no experience with any brand. Thanks for the help so far!

Zsolt Gordos
April 15th, 2007, 09:15 AM
Trey,

browse Kata website, you can find their selection per camera model.

Harm Millaard
April 15th, 2007, 09:32 AM
I have always used Porta-Brace, but one of the guys I work with quite often has a Kata and I was impressed by the quality and attention to detail. Petrol is another good brand.

Piotr Wozniacki
April 15th, 2007, 09:45 AM
I've just got the Kata cc-193, and - while satisfied with the overall design and quality - have one doubt: why is the bottom so soft? In fact, it's softer than the side walls, so that when putting on the floor, you almost feel the camera bumping against it!

With the V1, to have it ready for immediate shooting, you have to keep the mic always on as it doesn't have an on-board one; this is why choosing the right case is not that easy! The Kata cc-193 is big enough, but this soft bottom?!! Who knows, maybe I'll switch to the original Sony LCS-G1BP bag! Does anyone use it actually?

Trey Dillen
April 15th, 2007, 02:09 PM
Piotr,
With that Kata bag you have, can you keep the mic on?

Piotr Wozniacki
April 15th, 2007, 02:18 PM
Piotr,
With that Kata bag you have, can you keep the mic on?

Yes Trey, and it's actually completely safe, the side walls being stiff and high enough. The same is possible with the Sony LCS-G1BP bag, plus it has thicker bottom. I wish I went with that one!

Trey Dillen
April 15th, 2007, 02:47 PM
i can't seem to find any information on that bag in the US? Every website i go to that is selling it, is only selling to the UK. I can't even find it on the Sony website. Anyone know where to find it?

Piotr Wozniacki
April 15th, 2007, 02:52 PM
i can't seem to find any information on that bag in the US? Every website i go to that is selling it, is only selling to the UK. I can't even find it on the Sony website. Anyone know where to find it?

I don't know about US availability, but take a look here:

http://www.sonybiz.net/biz/view/ShowContent.action?logicalname=HVR-V1E-Microsite

or here:
http://www.creativevideo.co.uk/public/view_details.php?productID=3181

Piotr Wozniacki
May 29th, 2007, 09:37 AM
Just wanted to share with those of you interested that I replaced the Kata bag with the new Sony LCS-G1BP - and am very satisfied indeed!

Like the Kata, it's extremely well build - better I'd say. Unlike the Kata, its bottom is very, very rigid and safe when putting it on a hard surface. It allows storing the V1 with external microphone on - ready for shooting! Apart from the camera, my bag now holds (in separate, soft compartments):

- the DR60 drive
- complete Sennheiser Evo wireless set
- the new Sony HVL-LBP lamp
- the Sony wa converter with its huge lens hood (by re-arranging the compartment, you can store the camera with the converter and hood on, as well)
- three batteries (one on the camera, one on the DR60, and one for the lamp - disconnected, though)
- several tapes
- two additional microphones (not in separate compartment, though).

In the external, full size pockets I can safely keep all the cables, battery charger, tripod plate, plus much, much more.

Recommended!

Mahes Kirby
October 23rd, 2007, 06:30 AM
I ordered a LCS-VCB and was sent a G1BP because they did not have the VCB in stock. Thanks Piotr Wozniacki for your detailed report. Can I please ask you one thing. The VCB has a rain hodd - the G1BP does not. Is this case waterproof or should I buy a rain cover?

Thanks

Piotr Wozniacki
October 23rd, 2007, 06:45 AM
First of all, if you have a V1 you are lucky you didn't get the VCB becuase it's just to small - just big enough for a Z1 without external mic.

As to the G1BP being waterproof; well it's nowhere explicitely stated but when I had mine exposed to a summer shower some time ago, it didn't soak at all.

Ethan Cooper
October 23rd, 2007, 09:18 AM
16x9 Inc has a bag that I adored. We used it with an HVX200 and all it's extra stuff when I was working with a production company. Here's the link:
http://16x9inc.com/products/16x9/169-cb1.html
It's roomy without being huge, fits in most overhead lugage compartments, seems solidly made, has a bunch of compartments (velcro configurable compartments) and it looks snazzy.
Did I mention that I loved this bag?
When we were traveling with the HVX and a varicam, this bag had enough room in the main compartment to fit the HVX and the Varicam's lens (usual ENG style zoom lens).
Forgot to mention that if you're worried about it's main compartment being too large, this bag comes with built in straps that will secure your camera so it won't be flopping around while you lug this thing around.

Mahes Kirby
October 23rd, 2007, 04:15 PM
Thanks for all your input

I only bought a VX2100 recently - and that seems to be quite bulky. I think I am getting a good buy in being sent a G1BP for the price of an out of stock VCB (they both are the sma esize but the G1BP is a lot heavier - probably sturdier). Now that you think that it is at least shower proof, I will ring the company and tell them I am keeping it.

No doubt, I will be buying more lens etc. in due course to fill the bag. I just have to develop more muscles. Do you think it is safe to put the bag on a luggage trolley and wheel it? The bag does seem quite sturdy. I am not very strong.

Thanks again for your prompt response.

Claire Watson
October 23rd, 2007, 04:35 PM
Can anyone tell me the maximum height available in the Sony case please?

I am using the Sony W/A lens most of the time and have a Rode NTG1 mic with "Dead Cat" muffler. To avoid the Dead Cat protruding into the field of view with this W/A in place the mic is on top of the cam in the Rode shock absorbing hot shoe mount.

This means I need about 11" internal case height to house the cam with mic in place, is this possible? I suspect not...

David Decker
October 23rd, 2007, 06:43 PM
I just got a Kata CC-195 for mine, and it offers good protection, customizable compartments, and room for accessories. It's a little bigger than I thought, but I think I will end up liking it. I got it from B&H - and they were offering a second smaller Kata bag for free with it which I may use for a belt bag on shoots.

Leslie Wand
October 24th, 2007, 12:18 AM
two, whatever...

a. i went through a number of very reputable soft bags in my business, and no matter how 'trendy' they were, or 'solidly built to withstand' whatever, i came to the conclusion long ago that a well designed hard case, pelican or the like, custom cut to your specs makes any softbag useful as an accessory bag.

b. i still have one of my old aluminium cases that i use with my v1 and matte box and off-set mike holder all attached. (i could leave the stock mic on as well, but i prefer my me80, which is a little too long for teh case). i can get the camera out by flicking two catches. about half the time it would take me to open the zipper('s) on a soft bag and release the strap or whatever that held the camera secure - yeah, i learnt the hard way, (with a network camera), than if a bag falls off the tailgate onto it end, there's fa protection if the camera also slides forward in the bag. hence the retaining strap.

c. that said, i was looking for a case for my old 170 with w/a, and it's bits and pieces... went to bunnings (walmart?) and found one of those chinese made reinforced plastic tool boxes. it looked pretty acceptable - battleship grey and black fittings, and having spent $80 on it, and another $30 having it custom foam fitted, i reckon i'd happily send it cargo on a plane, well, that is, if i could guarantee it arriving at the same place i did....

leslie

Michael Liebergot
October 24th, 2007, 11:03 AM
I just got a Kata CC-195 for mine, and it offers good protection, customizable compartments, and room for accessories. It's a little bigger than I thought, but I think I will end up liking it. I got it from B&H - and they were offering a second smaller Kata bag for free with it which I may use for a belt bag on shoots.
I just ordered a Kata CC-195 myself (for my FX1), and should have it tomorrow.
I wanted a bag for carry on and single camera day shoot purposes, instead of my rolling suitcase for my new FX1.

I saw the bag earlier this month at my association meeting, where a Bogen rep was showing off the Bogen products as well as Kata bags. BTW, I also found out that KATA and Bogen are all under the same ownership. I didn't know that.

I already own a Lowepro Pro Roller 3 (large rolling suitcase) and have a KATA MC-61 bag for my audio equiptment, which I love. Very well made and pockets everywhere.
Since the FX1 is bigger than the V1/FX7, I decided to go with the CC-195, as it was 2 inches or so deeper than the CC-193, which is recommended for FX1/V1. This way I can keep my Beachtek DXA FX adapter attached to the bottom of my FX1, and just pull the camera out to shoot.

BTW, the KATA MC-61 will also be a great bag for your V1.
I have used it with my PD170's. The PD170, same size as the V1U, fits perfectly. You can acutally fit 2 PD170's in the top of the M6-61 if needed.
But the MC-61 is too small for my FX1.

Mark OConnell
October 27th, 2007, 01:55 PM
Has anyone got one of these?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/511620-REG/Sony_LCV1TH_LCV1TH_Hard_Transit_Case.html

Alnoor Dewshi
October 28th, 2007, 05:19 AM
I'm using a Lowepro Primus AW backpack for travelling and trekking. It's the most comfortable, well designed, well built backpack i've found; good lumber support/can wear it all day. The V1 fits snugly in either the top or bottom compartments with arrangement. I use a sennheiser shotgun in a beyer hotshoe holder (which is on & off in seconds); haven't tried it with the supplied mic fitted but doubt it would fit. What I like about it is that it's v low profile, it doesn't look like a camera bag, and it's adaptable enough to add extra pockets, tripod etc.

Deniz Ahmet
October 29th, 2007, 08:56 AM
I have a KATA SHELL 03.... they are rather hard to find now,but it's a perfect fit hard shell option, as compact as you can find for the V1E.

http://www.kata-bags.com/Item.asp?pid=125&cid=69&perentId=4&ProdLine=4

Mark OConnell
November 20th, 2007, 10:58 PM
Anyone use one of these?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/425604-REG/Porta_Brace_PB2500F_PB_2500F_Safeguard_Case.html

Seth Bloombaum
November 21st, 2007, 12:14 PM
I had a similar case for a while (doskocil), but now much prefer my Petrol PCCB-1N. It is really good for setting on the floor or a table and having easy access to all the accessories.

Starting in the upper left of the photo:
UL - 2 high cap batts and 2 chargers.
LL - about 12 tapes.
L middle - WA lense, wireless lav, mini headphones.
LR - filters, lens cleaning, tools.
There is a sony ECM77b wired lav alongside the camera.
1 outside pocket has a 25' xlr and a rain cover.
Other outside pocket has the cam manual and talent releases.
There's lots of little stuff in there as well. I won't go out without a pair of reading glasses for checking critical focus.

I only turn the cam mic around and use the securing strap when I'm on and off airplanes (just got back from a trip).

The case is big enough to accomodate the full size headphones, or a 2nd wireless as needed for a job.

About $120 US.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/236223-REG/Petrol_PCCB_1N_PCCB_1N_Compact_Camcorder_Bag.html

Steven Davis
November 21st, 2007, 12:36 PM
I have twins, so I bought a pelican case for both. It has worked out well. It's probably my paranoia, but I'm leary of soft cases since I have to load a bunch of stuff and worry about them getting squished. The pelican I have for them is big, but it works out. I certainly have less worry.

Steven Davis
November 21st, 2007, 12:38 PM
I had a similar case for a while (doskocil), but now much prefer my Petrol PCCB-1N. It is really good for setting on the floor or a table and having easy access to all the accessories.

Starting in the upper left of the photo:
UL - 2 high cap batts and 2 chargers.
LL - about 12 tapes.
L middle - WA lense, wireless lav, mini headphones.
LR - filters, lens cleaning, tools.
There is a sony ECM77b wired lav alongside the camera.
1 outside pocket has a 25' xlr and a rain cover.
Other outside pocket has the cam manual and talent releases.
There's lots of little stuff in there as well. I won't go out without a pair of reading glasses for checking critical focus.

I only turn the cam mic around and use the securing strap when I'm on and off airplanes (just got back from a trip).

The case is big enough to accomodate the full size headphones, or a 2nd wireless as needed for a job.

About $120 US.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/236223-REG/Petrol_PCCB_1N_PCCB_1N_Compact_Camcorder_Bag.html

Seth, you left out the most important item you have in that bag, duct tape. It's the item that labels you a pro. Happy Thanksgiving.

Craig Irving
December 18th, 2007, 03:18 PM
Well I decided to buy Sony Canada's shoulder-bag called the MOBECASE which has been terrific so far (I can fit two V1Us in it). But due to the size, it's over the carry-on restrictions for flying, and since it's a soft case I can't check it. So, unfortunately, I'm shopping for a case again.

I can't say it's a good investment to buy a hard case since I don't shoot for a living; this is just a one-time project where I need to fly with some gear. Is a Pelican 1520 hard case (foam-custom-cut type) the best option for a cheap hard case? Those are intended for travel I imagine, and I presume I can get one large enough to custom-fit two V1Us?

I wish I could check it to have on-board with me, but I'm carrying two cameras and I can't imagine there would be a soft case that could fit two cameras and at the same time, pass carry-on restrictions.

Better yet, I wish I could rent one locally and not pay a fortune. I called Vistek but they recommended a really weird way to ship it with a DIY-shrink-wrap type solution that was still costly and didn't leave me feeling too confident. They didn't have any standard hard-cases.

Any suggestions? I presume a lot of you have experience flying, since you do this for a living :)

Steven Davis
December 18th, 2007, 04:02 PM
Well I decided to buy Sony Canada's shoulder-bag called the MOBECASE which has been terrific so far (I can fit two V1Us in it). But due to the size, it's over the carry-on restrictions for flying, and since it's a soft case I can't check it. So, unfortunately, I'm shopping for a case again.

I can't say it's a good investment to buy a hard case since I don't shoot for a living; this is just a one-time project where I need to fly with some gear. Is a Pelican 1520 hard case (foam-custom-cut type) the best option for a cheap hard case? Those are intended for travel I imagine, and I presume I can get one large enough to custom-fit two V1Us?

I wish I could check it to have on-board with me, but I'm carrying two cameras and I can't imagine there would be a soft case that could fit two cameras and at the same time, pass carry-on restrictions.

Better yet, I wish I could rent one locally and not pay a fortune. I called Vistek but they recommended a really weird way to ship it with a DIY-shrink-wrap type solution that was still costly and didn't leave me feeling too confident. They didn't have any standard hard-cases.

Any suggestions? I presume a lot of you have experience flying, since you do this for a living :)

I have one pelican for both of my V1us. I can't remember the model, but it's a beast. I would feel comfortable with flying with it if the money was right, but that's another story. I will say the pelican that holds the cams protects very well when we are on location.

Craig Irving
December 18th, 2007, 04:05 PM
Great news. I'm looking to find the right Pelican case now; I think that's the best option.

Steven Davis
December 18th, 2007, 04:13 PM
Great news. I'm looking to find the right Pelican case now; I think that's the best option.

Pelican #1630 CASE w/FOAM (BLACK) - PE1630FB I bought it from BH, it's big, it has plenty of room. I'm one of those very cautious people and feel better with as much foam between the crule world and my cameras as possible. Did I mention, the case is big.

Craig Irving
December 18th, 2007, 05:12 PM
Thanks for the model number. That it is one mighty huge case =)

I think I can get by on the 1600, and maybe even squeeze it into the 1550.
I guess I'll measure these when I get home tonight.

Thanks again!

Seth Bloombaum
December 18th, 2007, 05:17 PM
How about buying a the largest piece of carry-on luggage you can and putting custom foam in it? Wouldn't carry many accessories, but I'd guess you could get two V1 side-by-side. Then, check the accessories with luggage.

Carry-on your camera(s) if at all possible. Way too costly to check in, and the airline will not reimburse for loss/damage over $200, if memory serves. I'd rather check in the case and strap two cameras to me then check a camera.

Ethan Cooper
December 18th, 2007, 05:20 PM
I'd be willing to bet you can fit 2 V1u's in this soft bag by 16x9 inc. If you're flying on anything but a puddle jumper it will fit in the overhead bagage compartment.
We would fly with it holding an HVX200 (fat boy) and a Fujinon 2/3" ENG lens for a Varicam. If these 2 suckers fit in there side by side then I see no reason why 2 V1u's couldn't do the same with room to spare.
I loved that bag.
If at all possible, I would NOT let your cameras out of your sight. Airlines can break anything if given the chance.
Almost forgot the link to the bag.
http://16x9inc.com/products/16x9/169-cb1.html

Mark OConnell
December 18th, 2007, 06:00 PM
Thanks for the model number. That it is one mighty huge case =)

I think I can get by on the 1600, and maybe even squeeze it into the 1550.
I guess I'll measure these when I get home tonight.

Thanks again!

I ordered a 1560. Should be here next week. Hopefully big enough.

Greg Laves
December 18th, 2007, 11:59 PM
I haven't noticed anyone championing the Portabrace bags. I have used one for years with my Betacam and have never had any regrets or problems. Plus I have used Portabrace for other applications as well (audio organizer), etc. I have never regretted the money I spent for them. I just got my own V1U in today and need a case. Is there some reason that I shouldn't get this case? Portabrace CS-DV4U. Input an/or feedback desired plz, before I spend the money.

Seth Bloombaum
December 19th, 2007, 12:57 AM
Kata, Portabrace and Petrol all make very high quality bags.

Portabrace has the widest range... I like Petrol, but I think it comes down to personal preference because they are all very, very good.