View Full Version : Y'all step up and say Howdy

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5]

norcalkid
October 31st, 2002, 01:37 AM
Hey everyone, I live in Redding, Ca And I recently found this forum
and it has been very helpful. I shoot with a VX2000 and edit with FCP3. I'm kinda new to FCP(about 8 months) but I think i got the basics. I mostly shoot skateboarding videos, thats what got me into this stuff, but I am starting to branch out to try to do other things and make money to buy more gear(comp upgrades, lights, tripods, etc.). I am looking for other people with experience to work with or for, I live in a small town. I have some prospects for producing and directing a few commerials for small buisnesses in the area, that might be cool

Rob Lohman
October 31st, 2002, 06:31 AM
Welcome aboard and good to have you with us. There are some
other people around here that shoot skateboard and snowboard
stuff, lets hope they chime in on this thread.

Have fun!

Dylan Couper
October 31st, 2002, 12:07 PM
Hey, I'm hopefully doing snowboarding videos, if our mountains get any snow this year. :(

Doug Miller
November 7th, 2002, 07:55 AM
I am new to posting, first community I have ever joined. I have followed the site for a long time but just now joined and this will be my first post.

I have been in the biz for 30 years as a Lighting Director / designer and DP. Working up from the bottom. I have shot 16, 35, every kind of video, nationally and internationally. Now I am the Staff DP at a training materials company that produces a line of VHS, CDrom and DVD material that we sell to anyone that needs to train their people.

We have two HL 45s recording on Beta sp, looking to make the switch to something digi. Shoot 40% studio and the rest on location. We are also looking at picking up a small Dv camera for those tight spots that the big one can't get in to.

I have learned a great deal from this site and look forward to particpating in the discussion

John Locke
November 7th, 2002, 08:15 AM
Welcome to the boards, Doug. Your experience will be a great contribution to the site.

Doug Willey
November 7th, 2002, 12:36 PM
Hey all,
I,m having a ball getting used to a new FCP3 suite. Have tons of video shoot over the world on horseback. Very interested now in publishing from the web. Anyone have experience with hosting thier media on a host sever accessed by links at other web sites? Seems best economy to me, however many other issuse regarding compression ratios, file formats and viewers to consider. Would love to chat with anyone regarding this. Best for now, and I agree with Adrian, KEEP SHOOTING. Doug.

Rob Lohman
November 8th, 2002, 06:34 AM
Doug, welcome aboard. I moved your post to a new thread since
that will keep the forum more clear. Questions for compression
for web and serving etc. are best asked in our Web Video Delivery
forum located at http://new.dvinfo.net/conf/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=37

Thank you!

Jean King
November 20th, 2002, 03:19 PM
Hello!
I am currently close to making a decision on a camera - either the Panasonic AG-DVX100 or the Canon GL2. I would like to visit a studio and/or location shoot in the Atlanta area to see these two cameras in action. If anyone has these cameras and would be open to me visiting, please let me know.
Thanks
Jerol King

Kirk Messner
November 20th, 2002, 04:35 PM
Hey All,

I'm from the big city of Fowlerville, Michigan. I recently bought a GL2. I was debating between the GL2 and the EOS D-60 SLR, and obviously the GL2 won. I've got a Kodak DC-280 anyway, and it takes pretty decent pictures for a 2.1mp.

This is my third video camera, but my first DV. I have quite a few VHS and VHS-C tapes I want to transfer, but found out very quickly about the HD space required. I'm here to learn some techniques (my attempts so far to capture the moon have been very poor). There are lots of settings on this camera I haven't learned how to use, or aren't even sure what they are for.

I'm also interested in finding out about accessories; what's good and what's not. I saw the link for the home built stabilizers, and have had all these ideas in my head the past few days about how to put that welder, bandsaw and drill press to work on building one :)

I'm just planning on using the GL2 for amateur stuff like the dragstrip, riding on the quads, etc. Right now I'm using an iBook 600 with the Adobe Design Collection, iMovie Toast and QT Pro.

I'll shut up now :)

Frank Granovski
November 20th, 2002, 05:39 PM
Hi, Kirk! Welcome!

The GL1/GL2 forum is very active. I suggest re-posting over there. They'll be tons of good suggestions for you.

For NLE MAC questions, post there. (NLE for the MAC)

Have fun!
Frank Granovski

Ric Marrty
November 28th, 2002, 06:32 PM
Just got into this forum it looks fine. I have various systems but started using aist extreme by moviepack recently, and have found it ti br a great app. but I would like to contact other users. The availble forums are not well visted.

ric.

Rick Foxx
December 5th, 2002, 01:21 PM
Hello all,

I've been in video production for about 6 1/2 years now, and have an extensive background in audio production. I'm looking forward to picking up some tips and tricks, and hopefully being able to contribute a few. See you on the slopes.

MIDIMan

Dan Holly
December 5th, 2002, 07:02 PM
Hail to CHS in Glendale, AZ!

<;~)

PS. I like your sig........hehe

Rob Lohman
December 6th, 2002, 11:21 AM
Welcome aboard Midiman. Audio is a section that still expending
quite heavily here at this forum. There are even some extra things
on the near horizon. Good to have you with us!

GaryBushey
December 16th, 2002, 07:45 AM
I just found this board through some search engine (probably Yahoo but I am not 100% certain) and it looks like a site I will be going to every day from now on.
I have interested in film since high school (farther back than I care to remember) when every camera was the size of the professional cameras and now I have moved on to the wonderful Canon GL2.
By day I am a computer programmer and on nights and weekends I work as a photographer/videographer for a local radio station. You would not think there would be much call for a photographer/videographer for a radio station but it tends to keep my busy and I get to travel a bit with them.
I currently have a Gateway PIII 900mhz system with 512M RAM which I use to run Premier 6.5 and Photoshop 7 to do all my work. I am in the process of building a new system that should be state of the art (for about 5 minutes).

Alonzo Anderson
December 20th, 2002, 12:27 AM
I live in Macon!!!....I am in pre-production on a short/feature titled "rain", I am in need of a DP for this production if you're interested i'd love to discuss it more with you!!!!
I've tried to sell the story for years but you know how difficult that is so, i've formed Shogun Films and will shoot the sucker myself. Welcome to the community, i'm a newbie myself and I hope to hear from you soon.

-Alonzo

dave ratner
December 25th, 2002, 06:05 PM
hi all,
Dave ratner here. a sony vx2000 newbie. I am in longmeadow, Ma where we are in the midst of a mother snowstorm.
I bought the camera to film my highschool kid who is a jazz guitarist and plays tons of gigs.
after reading all the posts I am now real confused about the mic I should when I record him. Why can't it be easy, ya know?
I am awed at the knowledge you folks have and very grateful you are willing to share it.
Happy holidays,
Dave

Rick Foxx
December 26th, 2002, 11:31 AM
Hi Dave.

A lot depends on how big the venue is, and what kind of sound system is in use. If your son is on stage playing solo, I'd just mic the guitar directly into the camera. If it's a larger group, you might be better off taking a feed from the house sound system. If you could provide some more information about the setup you want to record, I'd be happy to throw in my nickle's worth of advice.

MIDIMan

Charles Papert
December 26th, 2002, 04:07 PM
Hi Dave...

So, are you in Agawam or Longmeadow? Many years ago I worked at a production company in Feeding Hills shooting local commercials and corporate. It was a long road from there to Hollywood (3000 miles at least!) but I got there eventually!

Welcome!

Rob Lohman
December 29th, 2002, 05:41 PM
Welcome aboard Gary! We seem to be in the same occupation
since I'm also into computer programming professionaly. Glad you
have found this site and most of us check in every day as well!

Doug Sapp
December 30th, 2002, 09:27 PM
Hello All

My name is Doug Sapp, I am retired Coast Guard. I would like to
film documentaries. I am located in Humboldt County California.

Doug

Dominik Chrzan
February 10th, 2003, 09:46 PM
Well, I’ve only been here for a few days, but I must say I’m impressed. To the owners, very good job on keeping a very professional and educational milieu; to everyone else, excellent, excellent work!! (yes, I’ve been watching sample movie after sample movie with no hope of stopping in the foreseeable future). =P

I won’t bore you all with too much background, suffice to say I’m a biologist + soon to be medical student + [I would like to think] amateur travel doco filmmaker. Basically, I’m here just to learn as much as I can about my new vx2k and the whole production process. Hmmm, that’s about it for now, but I will be specifically looking for people on this site who might have similar interests/filming goals to gather info from … just be forewarned. =)

Cheers,

Dom

Ken Tanaka
February 10th, 2003, 10:09 PM
Good to have you join our community. Your Sony VX2000 is a fine piece of DV gear. I just saw (on the news) some field reporters swinging them around while training for Iraq battle reporting.

We have several folks who specialize in shooting travel documentaries, at least one of which does so professionally. Hopefully you'll have a chance to hook up with them here soon.

Dominik Chrzan
February 12th, 2003, 10:07 PM
looking forward to interacting with everyone on this board, but especially excited that there are other's here doing what i hope to do someday, that is, on a more professional level than i have been able to as of yet.

actually, i have in production now a doco from this past summer, where a friend and i travel australia's cape york peninsula in an old land rover. not the best in terms of technique/equipment, but an adventure nonetheless! hopefully i'll be able to post a trailer soon.

dom

Tobin Strickland
July 2nd, 2007, 10:29 AM
Hi, Tobin from Austin...shooting an instructional fishing video this summer in Galveston. Why Galveston...cause if I can catch fish in Galveston I can catch them everywhere else.

Glad to be hear, this is an awesome resource.