View Full Version : Y'all step up and say Howdy

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5

Steve Nunez
May 7th, 2002, 01:24 PM
Hello all,

some of you might remember me and my Redtail hawk project. I am heading to Florida (Newport Richie) on the 10th til the 20th and am bring the XL1S along for some wildlife filming- anyone know any good spots around the Newport Richie area?

...totally lost in FL.

Steve

Jeff Farris
May 7th, 2002, 03:35 PM
You're definitely going to be lost, because the place you are going is New Port Richey. ;^) Just kidding. About an hour north of there is where you will find manatees in the crystal clear springs and rivers.

mikekylis
May 8th, 2002, 02:25 PM
I'll do that Chris. Let me know when your in town.
Mike
raindog01@hotmail.com

Peter Summers
May 9th, 2002, 08:41 AM
Thought it was about time I introduced myself, after having spent time surfing your threads. My name is Peter Summers, from the UK. I am a theatre director who has moved into DV making. I currently run a DV Production Co making Charity fundraising videos and am in pre-production on a documentary I will shoot at the end of 2002. I use an XL-1 and edit on a MacG4 in F.C.P.2

I am slowly getting into DV Production and want to shoot a feature soon.

Would love to hear from anyone in the UK esp.

Chris Hurd
May 9th, 2002, 08:50 AM
Peter, many thanks for stepping forward, and I do believe we have a number of folks over there on your side of the pond in the UK. Welcome aboard!

Patrick Coker
May 10th, 2002, 11:59 AM
Hope everyone is having a great day and shooting well! I am new to this site and new to filmaking, at least the technical side. I am very interested in getting with anyone who wants to shoot, talk shop or create something, especially if you are NY based. so hit me soon and hit me often!!! Later EPatric

Bryan Beasleigh
May 11th, 2002, 09:24 PM
I'm a refugee from DVcom like many others here. I'm older than dirt and an amateur. A serious amateur though. I've had a TRV20 for a year now and plan to step up to either a VX2000 or a PD150 this coming week. I'm still trying to justify the price difference. oh well it's only money.

I take my video (and most other things) seriusly. I have invested a fair bit into some decent lighting gear(lowell, photoflex and Arri fresnels) and a decent NLE system

Adrian Douglas
May 11th, 2002, 09:53 PM
Hi Bryan, welcome aboard.

From what I've seen of the two cameras, unless you are shooting for broadcast, I'd save the cash and go with the VX. With the money you save you can add a Beechtech or the like and a better mic.

For the extra cash I really don't think the PD is worth it for anything less than pro work when someone else is footing the bill.

Rob Lohman
May 13th, 2002, 03:04 AM
Welcome aboard E! Hope you enjoy your stay, there are much
more minds like yours here.

Patrick Coker
May 13th, 2002, 09:06 AM
Thanks Rob. I hope to be able to pick those minds and hopefully add to the conversation.

Frank Granovski
May 13th, 2002, 10:28 AM
Hi Beaser!! (No eesleazy here, I'm sure you know what I mean.) I'd take Adrian's suggestion. Go with a VX2000, and eventually add a Studio1 or BeachTec, along with perhaps a Sennheiser ME66/K6 mic/battery unit.

Don't forget a Tiffen Black Pro mist 3, that is if you can get one in Canada (back-ordered like 10 months up here).

Frank Granovski
Vancouver 4th Avenue DV Freak
(The Poco non-female female getter--EEK!)

Shawn McBee
May 14th, 2002, 04:36 AM
Hey everyone. I've been a frequent visitor to the board for about a year, and a twice-daily visitor for about the last two weeks. I thought it was about time to register.

I'm a DV filmmaker (feature-length, mainly) in Sarasota, FL.
I'm using an NTSC XL1 and will be building an Avid XPress DV system soon (currently using Premiere 6).

I don't have any DV features finished yet, but I'm currently in production on a feature-length mock-umentary called "Adventures in Pimpin'" (I'm producing & will be editing) and in Preproduction on an untitled dramatic feature that starts filming 1 November '03 (saving $$ in the meantime for more equipment).

Erm....I'm 23 and, because this suddenly sounds like an AA meeting....I'm not at alcoholic!

And that's all I can think to say right now.

-Shawn

Rob Lohman
May 14th, 2002, 06:06 AM
Hi Shawn! Welcome aboard. Your story sounds a bit like my own
(only difference is that I've also posted in that time). I've been
going to this board at least twice a day a while back too, just
to many post otherwise. Especially since I'm also wrangling
this particular forum! Thanks for your introduction and glad to
have you with us after your long reading period.

I'm in the same age category as you are (24) and am also working
on some shorts and a feature to produce.

Ken Tanaka
May 14th, 2002, 10:32 PM
Glad you decided to come in from the wings. It sounds like you have a very positive, decisive outlook. That's half the battle. Keep us posted on your work when you get a chance. We love "war" stories here. And, of course, don't hesitate to call upon your fellow members when you need info or opinions.

Best Regards,

Ed Smith
May 21st, 2002, 09:42 AM
I guess I should have replied early, but any way, nice to see more English people on this board and I hope you find it a useful resource, just like I have.

Hope everything is well,

Ed Smith

jasenjahn
May 30th, 2002, 10:22 PM
My name is Jasen and I've just started a company that mainly does Graphic Design: Print and Intactive. Some projects just came up and I have to shoot a couple 3:00m videos. I have a XL1 but for the past year and a half I've mainly used it for personal use. The video I have shot looks pretty good but it's nothing special. Well, I want to push my Canon and make these videos look great. For starters, I'm renting an old western dolly and jib arm but I still need a lot of help. I see tons of XL1's with filters, different lenses, microphones, etc., and that's the kind of info I need!

I'll be shooting mainly outside and interviewing about 10 people. Any helpful tips would be nice!

thanks

Bruce Moore
May 31st, 2002, 12:08 AM
I, too, have anXL-1. the most impotant filter you can get is a UV or skylight 72mm, They are mainly to protect your lens from dirt and being scatched. For a mic set up I use a Lectrosonic UHF from Location sound. It's range is phonominal.
With it I have a lav, a hand mic, and a shotgun. They all transmit through the UNF transmitter. I'm not saying their inexpensive, but I've had fantastic results.

If you have any Questions e-mail me

Bruce

PostMaster
May 31st, 2002, 02:50 PM
Hi everyone,
I do post production and primary photography in the Baltimore Maryland area. I have a FCP station, access to Avid Xpress, XL1S, AJ-D250L Cam. Work primarily with DVCpro, but also experience with MiniDV, Beta SP, Beta SX and those other Analog formats.

See ya round!
OJ

Jim Sauza
May 31st, 2002, 03:38 PM
Hi everyone my name is jim and among the many hats i wear at work is the one that now says I will be doing our in house training videos.

I use a Mac system at home, and in fact we have 7 Mac's and 1 window system at work in the Richmond VA. area.

Tnx for this board Chris, I have been reading for some time now.

Peter Koller
June 1st, 2002, 03:52 AM
Welcome aboard! Citizen of the of the hometown of the KING OF PUKE!!

Oops, no offense here, I guess you know who I mean.. ;-)))

Cheers, Peter

Rob Lohman
June 1st, 2002, 06:51 AM
Another reader turned writer! Welcome welcome! Since you've
been reading a while the board doesn't need any introducing
to you eh. Anyway, welcome aboard!

Rob Lohman
June 1st, 2002, 06:56 AM
Welcome aboard OJ!

Peter Wiley
June 8th, 2002, 05:13 AM
I am principal of PR/Design, a small consulting firm that provides communication, research, and design services for organizations and individuals (i.e. candidates) involved in public affairs and politics. In practice, I spend the bulk of my time doing writing (communications planning, Web copy, press releases) and Web design. DV is new, though I had lots of theatre and some film expereince in school.

I am interested in bringing the "DV revolution" to non-profit advocacy organizations that have traditionally priced out of the market for video production services -- and so have been denied access to the most important (for good or ill) political communication media in the U.S.: television and video.

I have taught at the college level and I am currently a member of the adjunct faculty at Susquehanna University in Selinsgrove PA where I teach a Jr. Sr. course on leadership. I've done some scholarly writing on international political communication and was trained as political scientist. In my academic life I study American political communication and rhetoric and international political communication.

After messing about with a Sony TRV-17 for a year so so to learn some basics of DV and digital editing, I recently purchased Canon XL1s and have begun work on "A Citizen's Guide to Economic Development" in Pennsylvania. I use Final Cut Pro for editing on a Mac G4, which I also use for my other design work.

Jim Sauza
June 8th, 2002, 05:54 AM
Welcome aboard Peter. This board also has a great set of MAC threads.

Jim Northern VA.

bassgruv417
June 11th, 2002, 10:45 AM
Just received my XL1/s a couple of weeks ago and all of my accessories have trickled in...all but my tripod. I ordered the Matthews Libec LS-35 and they're saying that it could be another month before Japan ships...Any comments on the libec good or bad... should I wait or attempt to go with another brand. I currently use Gitzo w/ my betacam @ the station but need to stay around $600..Anyway LOVE my XL1/s...great site!

Ken Tanaka
June 11th, 2002, 01:18 PM
Welcome!
A month sounds like quite a long wait for this tripod. Perhaps another vendor can deliver quicker? B&H Photo (www.bhphoto.com) has the LS-35 in stock at this writing for $570.

George Gerez
June 28th, 2002, 07:49 AM
Looking to meet NL-Editors and DV camera people in my area..

Rafe1323
June 28th, 2002, 09:03 AM
I think I'm the first to post in Phily. I hope more follow. Looking forward to bouncing ideas, and experiences with everyone.

Rafe D'Amico

Peter Lock
June 28th, 2002, 10:10 AM
Unfortunatly No, Have had several vacations all over Florida and would swap rainy old miserable Buckinghamshire here in the UK anytime.

K. Forman
June 28th, 2002, 10:14 AM
I've got news for you, Peter. It has done nothing but rain here for the past two weeks. Still want to swap? I'm willing :)

Hi George- I'm just North of you in Brevard. Howdy!
Keith

Rob Lohman
July 1st, 2002, 12:49 AM
Welcome aboard Rafe, good to have you with us!

Bill Markel
July 2nd, 2002, 06:38 PM
Rafe,

Glad to have you here. I'm right across the river in Pennsauken.

Bill

Chris Hurd
July 10th, 2002, 10:47 PM
Okay, after being down for close to 24 hours, we're now back online with a few bumps and bruises. You may have noticed that we've lost about a week's worth of posts... I believe approximately 600 or so. The current count is 14,750 which is down from I think about 15,350. It really hurts but I'm grateful that it wasn't any worse than this. We've also lost track of about 40-something new members; if you're one of these folks, unfortunately you'll have to re-register.

This sort of thing is never predictable and always happens at the wrong time, but I'm working at this moment on finding a more reliable hosting solution with a back-up of the message board database every 24 hours. I've got to leave for MacWorld on Monday and will definitely find a new home for us before then.

In the meantime please accept my sincere apologies for this 40mph crash into a brick wall; the airbags have deployed and we've got a few seatbelt cuts and a broken tooth or two but we'll survive.

If you posted something last week, it's gone forever so if you can remember what we were talking about in this particular forum then by all means say it again!

Still shaking,

Denis Basic
July 12th, 2002, 12:43 AM
Hi everybody,

Well, I am back as well. I will try to rewrite and post again some of my last messages. Nice that the connection works again.

Later,

JimRiley
July 13th, 2002, 02:26 AM
Just getting to know my Sony PD150. We're anxious to use it for short "living history" projects, filming redcoats, minutemen, Civil War reenactments on our living history farm...

Chris Hurd
July 13th, 2002, 07:47 AM
Please keep me abreast of your process of documenting living history on video. In another life, long ago from 1986 to 1998, I supervised a living history horseback riding program for high school students at a local military academy. We were IWP cavalry, circa 1874. Currently I'm putting together a mounted post-WW2 U.S. Constabulary impression. I've always been highly interested in all aspects of living history and historical recreations of all time periods.

JimRiley
July 13th, 2002, 09:38 AM
You'll probably hear more from me than you want to!<g>

Wayde Gardner
July 15th, 2002, 10:50 AM
Well, after a seemingly long dvinfo.net drought, I'm back to catch up on things. I've changed industries from technical software sales to digital prepress. A strange migration but a familiar one to say the least.

My next endeavor is independent film making i.e. taking another of my scripts to the digital world. So, if there are any DPs or other crew type folks in the are who are up for making a feature length digital film (in the DFW area) then let's touch base.

Glad to be back.
wgardner
scenic Frisco, Texas

Rob Lohman
July 15th, 2002, 03:23 PM
Welcome back! Glad to have you with us again. A few things have
probably changed while you were away. Take a look around and
enjoy!

davidisrael
July 17th, 2002, 08:09 PM
Hi --

I've got a project coming up, where I'll need to load some PAL DV material (a couple of miniDV tapes, from friend in Rome -- it's from a PAL Sony VX2000) to my Storm system (then transcode etc.)

Problem: I don't have a PAL DV camera or deck.

Question: is there anyone reading this in the Wash.DC area (or not too far away on East Coast) with such a camera or deck, with whom I might be able to strike a deal (rent / borrow / trade something), for use of the deck or camera for less than 2 hours?

Otherwise, figure my options are:
1. purchase a DSR-11 -- which I'd like to have, but at $2K, too expensive at the moment
2. purchase a small 1-chip PAL camera -- e.g., the new JVC model DVL120 (costs only $400). This I could afford. Would have to get a friend to buy it for me in Asia (which I could do) and ship it -- would take some time, and $400 is a lot of money to spend when I'm not 100% sure the JVC will work flawlessly for these Sony-recorded tapes.
3. Rent a DSR-11 (prob. can find one professionally somewhere in town) -- I assume it might cost $150 or so for a day. Kinda costly just for one small job.

I DON'T want to send it out and transcode it -- at least I don't think so. Am planning to use ProCoder to transcode & MPEG encode in one fell swoop. But first thing is, gotta load the stuff.

Any thoughts / solutions / offers / suggestions -- kindly advise!

thanks,
d.i.

davidisrael
July 17th, 2002, 08:10 PM
p.s. -- just posting this p.s. so I can toggle on the "email notification" option)

Jay Gladwell
July 25th, 2002, 07:12 AM
Just joined the Community last night. Rather than bore everyone, anyone interested in knowing more about me or Good Dog Productions, simply visit http://www.gooddogproductions.com

Thanks, Chris, for the board. It's a great idea! You should get some sort of award for your contributuions to the digital video community and in educating the masses on the Canon XL1!

Rob Lohman
July 25th, 2002, 08:27 AM
Welcome aboard here! It is indeed a great place to be and for
me to help out with. Glad to have you with us.

Buck Wyndham
July 29th, 2002, 12:11 AM
Well, I started editing home videos in college in the mid-1980s, on a very clunky (but at the time, kind of cool) Videonics unit which took forever and eventually wore out the tape shuttle mechanism on two VCRs. This was unsatisfying enough that I eagerly jumped on the first Amiga Video Toaster systems when they came out. Still a pain. I put the cameras aside for a decade while I pursued other things.

In 2000, I picked up a copy of a popular computer video magazine and was ecstatic to see the advances that had been made in prosumer-level cameras and editing gear since 1990. I've been diving ever-deeper into it since. I built an editing sytem based on the Pinnacle Pro-One board, bought an XL-1 (recently traded in on a XL-1S), started a company, and over the past year I've been working hard at it in my spare time. We have three major projects going on right now, the biggest one of which being a specialized aviation instructional video which will be sold commercially on DVD. We also just finished shooting our first local TV ad.

I love this stuff. I just might quit my day job and make DV a full-time gig!

I look forward to reading and participating on this board. There are a lot of very knowledgable people out there, and I look forward to learning from you all.

Rob Lohman
July 29th, 2002, 02:03 AM
Welcome aboard Buck. It is great to hear that you have refound
your love and that your having a blast doing it! As for the board,
yes, there are indeed a lot of knowledgeable people around.
Good to have you with us!

MrGranger
July 29th, 2002, 01:35 PM
Not too many out in the Hollyhood from the posts. We've got mountains, deserts, and ocean. Lots to film here.

MrGranger

Chris Hurd
July 29th, 2002, 11:51 PM
Be sure to come out to Burbank this week for the L.A. DV Show. Drop by the Pro-Tape booth and say hi, I'd like to meet you.

Info at www.ladvshow.com

Christian Calson
July 30th, 2002, 06:07 PM
I'm over in west hollywood. Yeah, I know. Welcome on. These posts rock. Really. What do you do with DV?

Christian Calson
Nebunule Films

Mark Daughn
July 30th, 2002, 11:25 PM
I'm a new member and come to DV from a 25 year still photography career, I currently specialize in shooting Glamour/Pinup images.

I am working on a MAC system using a GL2 and Final Cut Pro. Video is a new venture for me so forgive me if I ask some very basic questions.

If I can be of help for any one in the way of still photography film or digital please don't hesitate to ask.

I look forward to learning from all of our shared experiences.

Mark Daughn

Rob Lohman
July 31st, 2002, 01:56 AM
Welcome aboard Mark! Glad to have you with us. Fire those
questions right away, that is what we are here for afterall
(whether they are basic or not).

Cheers!