View Full Version : repacing bubble level?

Steven Dumala
April 21st, 2003, 10:19 AM
Is it possible to replace the bubble level in the bogen tripods?
If so , where do I get one.
I have two that are dried out.
Thanks

K. Forman
April 21st, 2003, 10:43 AM
I went to WalMart, and got 2 bubble levels for an RV. They cost about $2, and get the tripod closer to level than the one it came with.

Jeff Donald
April 21st, 2003, 12:32 PM
Do a search on bubble level and you should find several threads. Hama, a German company makes a real nice one that fits your accessory shoe (hot shoe). There are others I mention in previous threads as well.

Steven Dumala
April 21st, 2003, 10:28 PM
Thanks for the reply. I did a search for bubble level and did not come up with anything. Maybe I am using the search thing wrong.
I like the idea of getting a level from walmart. Are they the type of level that only levels one dirrection? If so do I need two of them.
Do you put the level on the tripod or on the head?

Jeff Donald
April 22nd, 2003, 01:36 AM
Here is one of the threads (http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5239&highlight=bubble), it has a link to the Hama Bubble Level. I think in your situation, the level will need to be mounted on the camera. Bogen can also sell you a replacement.

K. Forman
April 22nd, 2003, 05:38 AM
They are the one way levels. Small enough to put anywhere. I believe the best placement would be on the tripod and head.

Will Fastie
April 22nd, 2003, 08:34 AM
If the built-in bubble is replaced, it will mostly likely align itself with the tripod or head by default.

But if you add the hardware store bubble, you will have to make sure that the tripod or head is perfectly level, then install the bubble carefully so it is perfectly aligned.

The former will cost a bit more. The latter will take more time.

Bogen parts can be obtained by calling (201) 818-9500 Ext-244. The guy who usually answers the phone is really good, knows his stuff and quickly understands what you need.