View Full Version : Libec LS-38?

Pages : 1 [2]

Mike Covington
February 11th, 2007, 11:14 PM
Anyone else heard/have info about Libec moving their distribution site to CA and availability suffering? Wanting to get an LS-38M (2A), but sounds like it may be some time before they are available again. Bummer.

I tried ordering an LS-22 from Zotz last week and was told something along these lines. They said it'd probably be about 3 weeks until they'd be able to make the order.

Mike Covington
February 11th, 2007, 11:16 PM
BTW, during the time it takes Libec to get their distribution issues straightened out, I guess I get to re-visit the internal debate I had re: which Libec tripod I should get for my A1, the LS-22 or the LS-38.

Dearl Golden
February 12th, 2007, 08:50 AM
Haven't heard the time estimate before, but I'm gonna wait them out. I've seen both tripods (22 & 38) and really want to go for the sturdier 38. I've bought the "next best" before when what I really wanted wasn't available and my experience is usually not positive when I do that. I still have a $599.00 quote from TapeWorks Texas.

Let us know if you find one sooner.

Bill Ball
March 7th, 2007, 09:13 AM
After waiting an extra week or two due to the distributor moving, I received my Libec LS-38m (mid level spreader). I dont have a lot of experience to post a really knowledgable review, but since I started this thread I thought I'd provide some comments.

Out of the box I was a little concerned. A LOT of plastic parts, especially on the legs (locks, hinges, etc). The 2 page manual is the worst translated thing I have ever seen. I though the Japanese were past this, but it was amazingly bad. Useless for putting the parts together. I eventually figured everything out.

The big pads that go over the spikes (which also have rubber boots) could be real handy in the studio. But they attach with rubber handles of the type I have found to wear out and break with extended use. There is no lock once everything is folded up but I have found no tendency for the tripod to unfold, even when carried by one leg. It seems reasonably light for its bulk.

The mid-level spreader is a bit strange. I am not too confident of the strength of its attachement points to the legs. It has a knob that you have to turn to open it up. It can lock at 45 of 90 degrees. It can also extend its length a bit, but not much. Perhaps all this adjustability will come in handy, but it seems more than is really necessary to fiddle with at the moment.

The tripod is quite sturdy on initial use without being particuarly heavy. But definitely not a run-n-gun type set up in terms of speed. The leg locks turn all the way to lock. I hope they dont loosen up with use.

For an extreme test, I took it outside and spent 30 minutes trying to keep up with my kids shooting baskets, at close range, in 24p. I was not too worried about the one speed on pan and tilt because I just wanted something that was smooth. I'd rather spend my time trying to maintain focus on my HDV cam! The head did not disappoint. I thought it was extremely steady and smooth while firehosing my A1 all over pan and tilt. The resistance was just right to keep things as smooth as could be expected under these conditions. I am very happy with this result.

The sliding plate arrangement is OK. I like that it is plenty big but the camera can still slip around while mounted, and I dont like that the camera mount screw cannot be hand tightened, you need a coin or screw driver.

If you pan all the way up or down and let go, the fixed tension will smoothly return the A1 toward level. Not a problem for me, I am just glad it doesn't try to dump the camera when all the way down. The tension is actually a nice feedback feature to remind me that I am reaching the end of the tilt range. Holding it against the tension at full tilt is easy enough. You can also lock it down there. Centering the weight is easy with the sliding plate, even on this rather front-heavy camera.

In all I think this tripod will suit my rather simple and unhuried needs for something steady and smooth for my A1. I have some concerns about durability of the leg parts.

Compared to the <$1200 Schactlers, Vintens, Cartonis, etc that I have played with at shows, I would say the Libec38 is considerably simpler, steadier, and smoother but a bit plasticy, bulky, and akward yet not heavier.

I would not reccomend it for rough or ENG use but it should be fine for studio and indie filmmaking.

I bought it from Tapeworks Texas and they treated me decently, given the delay from the shipper.

Graham Dore
March 19th, 2007, 03:51 AM
Just received my LS-38. This is my first decent tripod having only used cheap Velbons before.

First impression is that it's very sturdy and smooth although I was a bit disappointed by the plastic bits on the legs. I'm using a Sony HDR-FX1 on top and it seems fine even though the camera's only about half the minimum weight recommended for the tripod. There is a bit of bounce back when panning and then stopping which I expect is due to the light weight of the camera. I might experiment with adding a steel plate to load the tripod up a bit as suggested in an earlier post.

I managed to buy the LS-38 at a very good price in the UK through GlobalMediaPro. It means it's a grey import but they still give it a 1 year guarantee. As I only paid £340 including VAT and import taxes I thought it very good value when most suppliers are quoting £399 exc Vat.

Bill Pryor
March 19th, 2007, 08:54 AM
Are you referring to those little plasting caps on the feet? They're supposed to be taken off, and you put on the nonskid pads or the ground spreader if you went that route. Mine came with a midlevel spreader and the nonskid feet.

Graham Dore
March 19th, 2007, 09:19 AM
I got the floor spreader with mine and don't recall seeing any non-skip feet.

In referring to the plasticky bits I meant the locking knobs on the leg extensions. They're ok and are probably sturdy enough but the finish could be a bit better.

Ron Wilber
January 17th, 2008, 05:03 PM
I'm bumping this thread because I just got mine and it rocks!
Everything in that review was spot on, no bounce back! I was worried about dishing out 600 bones for a tripod system that will give me bounce back, Something many systems in this price range seem to suffer from. Well not this tripod on pans. It does happen on the extreme tilts up and down, just as the review said, but I rarely ever do that movement. Over all It's a fine tripod for the money, good build quality, feels solid and sturdy, and just enough features to make it an intuitive and easy to operate device. My only negative is its color. I wish it were black instead, but that by on means is a deal breaker.

John Stakes
January 17th, 2008, 05:56 PM
My only negative is its color. I wish it were black instead.

that is what is keeping me from making the purchase...black is definitely more professional, but when you are on a budget, you need performance!

Mark Bournes
January 17th, 2008, 08:45 PM
What difference does the color make if it's functional and works for your needs?
I use one with my beta and xl-2 package. I could care less what color it is.

Andy Wilkinson
January 18th, 2008, 04:19 PM
Actually, I quite like the mid/dark grey (that's gray to our American friends) of the Libec tripods! Black is so "non descript" these days!

I only have the Libec TH-650 but the price/performance mix is excellent (about 150 quid in the UK.) I'm very happy with it on all but "full zoom" shots where it's not quite got the weight and stability needed (if you start fiddling around with the camera settings.)

But then I'm only too glad when I pack it up and walk home as it's really light in weight - unlike my camera bag which seems to be getting heavier every time I go out with all the sound and video equipment I'm slowly acquiring!