View Full Version : No rez difference between 24p & 60i

Steve Mullen
October 17th, 2006, 01:32 AM
I captured a clip where I switched from 60i 360-degree shutter and 240 216-degree. So I had two side by side frames.

Used Liquid's super HQ 2D editor to blow-up these two frames by 400%.

No difference I can see!

If someone posts how to post them -- I'll do so. But I won't say which is which.

Tony Tremble
October 17th, 2006, 02:27 AM
What about 30p though?

TT

Gints Klimanis
October 17th, 2006, 02:28 AM
Hey Steve,

If you send the pix to me, I'll host them on my FTP space.

gints@att.net

Oh, and thanks for that Sony HDV eBook. It helped me with deciding that the Sony Z1U was the right choice for me.

Chris Hurd
October 17th, 2006, 12:17 PM
Sorry, didn't see this until just now.

Steve -- when you submit a post, look below the message input block and the submit reply button and you'll see an "Additional Options" box. There should be a "Manage Attachments" button. Click that and it'll open a file / image uploading tool. When your images are posted (standard photo formats such as jpg, png etc., they'll appear as 320x240 size thumbnails which can be clicked to show the full-size versions.

Or you can go to our Image Gallery at http://www.dvinfo.net/gallery and post them there -- your choice.

Steve Mullen
October 17th, 2006, 07:53 PM
Hi Chris,

Thank you -- I never scrolled down to find the obvious.

Here are four pix. We'll see if folks can tell which is which.

Obviously, these have all been JPEG compressed to meet site requirements so any attempt to judge original image quality is ruled-out. The point is simple -- can you see a rez difference.

Great to talk with you at the Atlanta seminar.

Stuart Brontman
October 17th, 2006, 09:10 PM
I can't see one... I'm viewing on a laptop, but even so, no visible difference to me...

Chris Hurd
October 17th, 2006, 09:59 PM
Steve, are you sure that the uploader won't allow full 1920x1080 size images? I thought I had properly configured the file attachment conditionals but maybe I got them wrong... what happens when you try to attach full size shots? I'll go back and set a larger file size as well.

Likewise, it was very good to see you in Atlanta and I hope we can catch up with each other again soon.

Duane Prince
October 17th, 2006, 10:19 PM
..I would guess the photo on the right has a ever so slight higher rez, & this a subjective viewpoint , on a 17" 1280x1024 LCD monitor....

Steve Mullen
October 17th, 2006, 10:34 PM
Steve, are you sure that the uploader won't allow full 1920x1080 size images? I thought I had properly configured the file attachment conditionals but maybe I got them wrong... what happens when you try to attach full size shots? I'll go back and set a larger file size as well.

Likewise, it was very good to see you in Atlanta and I hope we can catch up with each other again soon.

HI -- my photos should be 1440x1076 which is what came from Liquid. Are they smaller?

I could not upload TIFF.

Adam Palomer
October 17th, 2006, 10:38 PM
#1 is interlaced
#2 is progressive

Did I get that right?

Ben Winter
October 17th, 2006, 11:42 PM
60i 360 vs 24p 216 400-percent 1.jpg looks like 60i?

Frank Hool
October 17th, 2006, 11:56 PM
Which camcorder it actually is? 24p is Cineframe?

Floris van Eck
October 18th, 2006, 01:26 AM
They are talking about the V1. That's the title of this forum. So no cineframe, but 24p done by the camera.

Steve Mullen
October 18th, 2006, 04:33 AM
#1 is interlaced
#2 is progressive

Did I get that right?

Are you countng left to right?

Piotr Wozniacki
October 18th, 2006, 04:49 AM
Sorry guys, I do follow when you speak about "left" or "right" - let's use the actual filenames, please...Or the numebrs 1,2,3,4 as per the order they're listed in Steve's post.

Monday Isa
October 18th, 2006, 05:19 AM
Hey Steve,
0.jpeg is interlaced and 1.jpeg is progressive (^_^) did I get it right?

Monday

Chris Hurd
October 18th, 2006, 06:03 AM
my photos should be 1440x1076 which is what came from Liquid. Are they smaller?For some reason on my system, they're showing up at 767x573, and squished spaghetti western style.

Bob Zimmerman
October 18th, 2006, 09:04 AM
is it just me or do the pictures on the left look like in bends or something, just something about it. I don't see it on the right. For whatever reason I like the two pictures on the right.

Piotr Wozniacki
October 18th, 2006, 09:05 AM
again - which is 'right' and which is 'left'?!!
What am I missing?

Chris Hurd
October 18th, 2006, 09:19 AM
If you're seeing the images one below the other, then the top one is top left, next one down is top right, third one down is bottom left, and the last one is bottom right.

Piotr Wozniacki
October 18th, 2006, 09:27 AM
Sorry to be a nuissance, but I'm seeing the images one at a time, so there's no left, right, upper or bottom.

William Gardner
October 18th, 2006, 09:29 AM
On the diagonal lines at the borders of the signs in the coffee shop frames, I see what appears to be an alternating "red-blue-red-blue" pattern. Is this an artifact of the new pixel subsampling algorithm? Is this visible at all during the moving video, or only under careful observation on the still frame?

I don't recall seeing something similar on still frames from my Z1U, but then it's not an A-B comparison.

Thanks for the frames, Steve.

Bill

David Ziegelheim
October 18th, 2006, 10:52 AM
How were they de-interlaced? Was this a tripod shot?

Could there be no difference because there was no difference?

David Ziegelheim
October 18th, 2006, 12:36 PM
What maginfication are you observing the jpegs? I blew them up in photoshop...they appear nearly identical. At the 1 picture pixel= 4 or 9 screen pixel level, there appear to be no differences in resolution or color between them.

Adam Palomer
October 18th, 2006, 02:16 PM
Are you countng left to right?

I'm referring to XXXXXX...0.jpg as #1
and to XXXXXXX...1.jpg as #2

Steve Mullen
October 18th, 2006, 04:34 PM
Sorry guys, I do follow when you speak about "left" or "right" - let's use the actual filenames, please...Or the numebrs 1,2,3,4 as per the order they're listed in Steve's post.

Yes -- that's what I should have said!

I see all four -- and then double-click on one to open it full size. You can open all of them up because they open in new windows.

It makes no sense to take the 400% and zoom in more in photoshop. Also, as I said, since these are JPEGs, so don't look for other artifacts!

It's a simple "can I see more clear words on the menu."

Think of it as an eye test.

Bill Pryor
October 18th, 2006, 04:40 PM
I can't see any difference between any of them on my iBook.

Piotr Wozniacki
October 19th, 2006, 01:48 AM
Sorry to be a nuissance, but I'm seeing the images one at a time, so there's no left, right, upper or bottom.

Sorry again - silly me! I've just noticed I had the option to display pictures with posts switched off... Now I see what you mean by upper, left etc.

Bogdan Tyburczy
October 19th, 2006, 08:21 AM
So now I guess we just have to wait for European production model to be sure "p" equals progressive. I hope Simon will test one soon. I wonder what kind of prototype they gave him for the first test. Me confused...