View Full Version : JVC GY-HD100 Tripod Mount

Pages : [1] 2 3

Mark Love
January 31st, 2006, 09:03 AM
I need a decent tripod for the new HD100, and I was leaning towards this set.

Bogen / Manfrotto
351MVB2 Aluminum Video Tripod Kit with 75mm Half Bowl and 3460 (503) Pro Head, Mid-Level Spreader, Rubber Shoes & Padded case - Supports 17.6 lbs

Any thoughts or comments? I know there are better 1k+ options out there, but I need to stay as low $$ as possible without going to crap, and many seem to like the 503 head.

Thanks

Greg Bellotte
January 31st, 2006, 12:44 PM
i thought this was a good kit for the money. the only thing i don't like about mine was that i broke the spreader right after i got it. have been using it without-seems fine. i'm more of an audio guy than camera op, but thought the head was pretty smooth. i can replicate moves i see friends do on bigger/$$$ broadcast rigs. my hd100 only has a wireless rx and a dionic 90 hanging on it, but the 503 handles that weight just fine, and balances too with the stock plate, but only just. might have to upgrade to the jvc plate if i add any more weight on the back.

Mark Love
January 31st, 2006, 01:00 PM
Terrific. Just the kind of response I needed. I put my order in just now.

i thought this was a good kit for the money. the only thing i don't like about mine was that i broke the spreader right after i got it. have been using it without-seems fine. i'm more of an audio guy than camera op, but thought the head was pretty smooth. i can replicate moves i see friends do on bigger/$$$ broadcast rigs. my hd100 only has a wireless rx and a dionic 90 hanging on it, but the 503 handles that weight just fine, and balances too with the stock plate, but only just. might have to upgrade to the jvc plate if i add any more weight on the back.

Greg Corke
February 1st, 2006, 03:12 AM
Hi mark,

I'll second that. I know you have placed your order and you have made a good choice imo. I have that set up with jvc plate and although it is not true fluid I still get really smooth pans. I looked at stuff up to the £1000 mark and reps were saying that the Manfrotto won't give you the longevity of a sachtler for example but for the interim period its a fairly good bang for buck. I have a Cavision Matte box on the front and idx kit which is fine. However, I will be getting the dr hd100 in the next few days and don't know if this may push the head. I'll let you know how I get on.

Regards, Greg C.

Michael Lafleur
February 1st, 2006, 08:51 AM
As a newcomer, I truly appreciate the wisdom of many of you on the Network.

I am a Toronto-based, new HDV user who is in the process of buying a JVC HD100 primarily to create documentary-style promo videos for several NGO charities working with at-risk youth and social disadvantaged families in this region. I also plan on shooting footage in Malawi alongside some close friends who are doing humanitarian work among the extremely poor in Africa to help raise awareness as part of the “Make Poverty History” movement. I have a limited budget and am very close to the end of my $$$, having selected and settled on the camera, basic lighting, wireless audio, and a portable power kit. And while I would be open to your advise on any of these matters, what I really have no sense of which way to go for a suitable but affordable tripod for the HD 100U.

I know many of you have extensive experience in the industry and your shooting requirements are far beyond where I am presently at. But you know this camera better than anyone around and I would greatly appreciate any suggestions as to what Tripod you would recommend for me at this stage. Thanks!!

Laszlo Horvath
February 1st, 2006, 08:59 AM

I am a Toronto-based, new HDV user who is in the process of buying a JVC HD100 primarily to create documentary-style promo videos for several NGO charities working with at-risk youth and social disadvantaged families in this region. I also plan on shooting footage in Malawi alongside some close friends who are doing humanitarian work among the extremely poor in Africa to help raise awareness as part of the “Make Poverty History” movement. I have a limited budget and am very close to the end of my $$$, having selected and settled on the camera, basic lighting, wireless audio, and a portable power kit. And while I would be open to your advise on any of these matters, what I really have no sense of which way to go for a suitable but affordable tripod for the HD 100U.

I know many of you have extensive experience in the industry and your shooting requirements are far beyond where I am presently at. But you know this camera better than anyone around and I would greatly appreciate any suggestions as to what Tripod you would recommend for me at this stage. Thanks!!

Hi Michael!
I'm based in Windsor, Ontario and I also use the HD100. (BTW: I just ordered my second one two days ago.) Anyway I use the Gitzo tripod-head combination, and I tell you for the money it's excellemt.

Laszlo

Michael Lafleur
February 1st, 2006, 09:12 AM
Thanks, Laszlo

Nice to know guys like you and Tim are 'nearby'. What specific model and configuration of Gitzo are you using and did you look at any other makes/models?

Werner Wesp
February 1st, 2006, 09:26 AM
I'm using a Libec H30 (II) head with T33 legs and it works excellent. it should be about only half your budget...

Jiri Bakala
February 1st, 2006, 09:39 AM
SACHTLER SB6 with 2-stage legs
-fluid head
-illuminated bubble
-good selection of pan and tilt drag
-counterbalance

I bought it from a US supplier (I am in Canada too) and it cost me around USD $2,100.00 - yes, I know you asked for sticks under $2k but in my oppinion the Sachtler is worth every penny. Oh, and BTW, it came with a hard (tube) case, great for air travel.

Michael Lafleur
February 1st, 2006, 09:50 AM
Thanks for the responses... I'm checking them out right now.

Anyone familiar with the new line from Cartoni Focus AL2 – 2 stage system?
Here are some of the specs:
The Focus head comes equipped with a quick release sliding camera plate, illuminated spirit level and orientable pan bar. Its tilting angle is +/-90° with perfect response throughout the entire tilt range. It interfaces with all 100mm bowl base tripods and supports.

FLUID HEAD SPECIFICATIONS

• Payload capacity: 2.2 – 22 lbs
• Weight: 4.4 lbs
• Pan Range: 360°
• Tilt Range: +/- 90°
• Counterbalance: Continuous
• Fluid Drag: Continuous
• Bowl Diameter: 100 mm
• Temperature Range: -40° to +158° F

Laszlo Horvath
February 1st, 2006, 09:56 AM
Gitzo has only one video head. If I'm right the model # is1380 (I'm not home now so I can't check) The legs are your choice, they have so many. I use the three stage aluminium legs, so I can raise the cam very high if I need to. But they hava a very nice carbon fiber too. Those much lighter, but double the money.
Shactler is much bigger name, may better too, but was too expensive too me. (I bought two at the same time)
But again, this is extramely smooth, well worth the money

Laszlo

Jiri Bakala
February 1st, 2006, 10:38 AM
FYI (I know it doesn't make much sense but this is how the industry refers to the different types of tripod legs):

One-stage: two parts (one extension), one lock per leg
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=78755&is=REG&addedTroughType=categoryNavigation

Two-stage: three parts (two extensions), usually two locks (sometimes one lever locks both)
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=412239&is=REG&addedTroughType=categoryNavigation

Michael Lafleur
February 1st, 2006, 10:45 AM
Thanks, Jiri,

The Sachtler system you remmended looks great! It may be too expensive for my budget. Did you find any competive pricing in Canada? I'm a little hesitant to have to ship back to the states for warranty work

Are you or anyone else familiarity with the Cartoni and HD100 - ie. the Focus AL2 (3 stage;, thanks for the correction) system?

Michael Lafleur
February 1st, 2006, 11:24 AM
Hi Mark and the 2 Gregs,

Thanks for your insights. I'm looking for the same kind of set-up, but have a little more to spend if necessary. (see another Thread I opened today) What's the difference between the 501 and 503 heads? Why did you go with the legs that you chose as I believe

Have any of you considered the Cartoni Focus AL2 system? It's more money but seems to handle larger loads. I have no personal experience with any of these systems.

Thanks

Stephen L. Noe
February 1st, 2006, 12:08 PM
I like the Libec LZ-70. It may be of interest to you.

good luck...

Daniel Riser
February 1st, 2006, 01:52 PM
I recommend watching ebay for a good Sachtler head and buying the indie dolly two stage sticks. These are $800 quality sticks for $299.

www.indiedolly.com he doesn't have them advertised, just email him and ask him about them.

The ones he has advertised are for a crane, they are twice as big and twice as heavy and twice as much.

These sticks are exceptionally versitile, they go from 18 inches off the ground to almost 6 feet! I can't stop praising these sticks. I worked on a shoot with them and immediately turned around and bought my own.

Jiri Bakala
February 1st, 2006, 04:17 PM
The Sachtler system you remmended looks great! It may be too expensive for my budget. Did you find any competive pricing in Canada?
In short - no.

Canadian pricing seems to be 'miraculously' nowhere near the equivivalent of a simple currency conversion. How can the HD100 be priced at CAD $7,995 (= USD $7,005) while the US pricing is around USD $5,495 list, so in reality more like USD $5,000. As far as I am concerned, it's a rip off and in many cases what you save on the price is many times the amount of shipping the gear back to the States for a possible warranty exchange/repair.

As for the Sachtler tripod, I wouldn't worry, they are very good and chances are that they won't need to go back.

Daniel Riser
February 1st, 2006, 05:11 PM
Oddly enough I purchased my Canon XL2, just before it was released, in Canada for $600 less than retail... shipped!

Diogo Athouguia
February 1st, 2006, 08:11 PM
Michael, the spring of the 501 head is not strong enought to counter-balance the HD100, don't consider it as an option. I have a Manfrotto 525 with a 503 head and it works ok, but the spring could be a just bit stronger... it's in the limit. It is really a good head, but if you can afford the 516 I advise you to do it. This one has two springs you can change according to the camera's weight. I don't have the IDX power solution for the HD100 yet, so I don't know if the 503 head will perform so well with this extra weight.

Anyway, you should go to a Manfrotto dealler with your camera and test the 503 and 516 heads.

I had a $5000 Cartoni carbon for using with a heavy Beta SP and it was an excelent tripod. I have no experience with cheaper Cartoni models.

Michael Lafleur
February 1st, 2006, 09:01 PM
Thanks, Diogo, for some helpful suggestions

I had the chance to check out the Cartoni just a few hours ago and it seem very suitable, although quite a bit heavier/less compact for travel than the Sachtler DV-6SB I saw this afternoon.

Apparently Manfrotto has just come out with a new 526 Head that's replacing the 510 and 316. Here the link I found for all the Bogen Manfrotto products, including the 526: http://www.bogenimaging.us/literature/rightscreen_pdf.php
I'd be interested in what you and other think of the 526 or any feedback from early users. it may be too heavy/overkill for my HD100, but I haven't seen it yet.

Tim Dashwood
February 1st, 2006, 10:00 PM
In short - no.

Canadian pricing seems to be 'miraculously' nowhere near the equivivalent of a simple currency conversion. How can the HD100 be priced at CAD $7,995 (= USD $7,005) while the US pricing is around USD $5,495 list, so in reality more like USD $5,000.
Jiri, I just checked the latest Canadian list price today on the HD100 including tripod plate and wide converter. It is $6995 CDN.

I don't know of anyone who actually payed $7995 for the HD100, at least in Ontario. I think that $7995 list was set last summer before the value of the Canadian dollar rose to its highest since 1991. It's at about 87.5 cents U.S. right now. In the middle of August, when the camera shipped, it was only around $0.82 U.S.

I would greatly appreciate any suggestions as to what Tripod you would recommend for me at this stage.

Michael, I recieved your email, but you've got a good thread going so I'll respond here.

I've never purchased a new tripod for myself so I'm not sure what you can get for under $2000. The only tripod I own is an old manfrotto 028 with semi-fluid head (116 I think) and 1-stage legs with pedestal and dolly wheels. I bought the whole setup at a TelAV silent auction years ago for $150.
I use these sticks only for building and testing cameras or as a crash cam mount.

I generally just rent the appropriate head and sticks for the job. This typically means a huge O'Conner 2575 or Arri geared head for dramatic work, along with standard legs, baby legs and hi-hat.

However, when I'm sent out on documentary work, I'll rent the lightest fluid head tripod that will accomodate the camera. In the case of the HD100 or XL2, I would usually rent the Sachtler Video 20 or 25 and sometimes 501. I don't think I've ever used a DV4 or DV6. I doubt the DV4 would be able to handle the HD100 with pro batteries and matte box.

The nice thing about the Video 20 with 100mm ball is that you can get baby legs and/or a 100mm hi-hat for it, making it very versatile.

My suggestion to you is to rent the tripods on your shortlist for a day or weekend and then see which one works best for your shooting style.
If the one you like the best exceeds your budget, then just rent for a while until you have the budget for it. Don't shortchange yourself. Make sure you can get the camera to zero balance with all of the accessories on. This means you should be able to set a level position with all of the locks "off," the fluid controls fairly loose, and the camera shouldn't move.

Good luck.

Michael Lafleur
February 1st, 2006, 10:09 PM
Hi Tim,

Good suggestions all around. I like your advise re: renting until I know for sure. If I do buy, I've been impressed with the Sachtler models I've seen. I will take the camera with me to a small trade show next week in TO. I will load it up and follow your advise.

One more thing: Do you know of any HD100 user groups in the GTA? Anyone who does basic and/or advance training?

Thanks for all your help

Jiri Bakala
February 1st, 2006, 10:48 PM
Jiri, I just checked the latest Canadian list price today on the HD100 including tripod plate and wide converter. It is $6995 CDN.
You might be right but only partially. The quote for $7,995 was from Commercial Electronics in Vancouver some time in Oct/Nov. Today's price at Vistek (online) is $7,399 and I didn't see any accessories on their web. Perhaps Ontario dealers offer better prices...

However, when I'm sent out on documentary work, I'll rent the lightest fluid head tripod that will accomodate the camera. In the case of the HD100 or XL2, I would usually rent the Sachtler Video 20 or 25 and sometimes 501. I don't think I've ever used a DV4 or DV6. I doubt the DV4 would be able to handle the HD100 with pro batteries and matte box.
You are right about the DV4 but I have the SB6 and it's fine with IDX batteries and a matte box. The disadvantage is the 75mm ball but on the other hand...man, is it ever nice and light for a 'one-man-band' run and a gun... I used to have Cartoni Gamma and it was solid but for the HD100 it would be a major overkill.

Tim Dashwood
February 2nd, 2006, 02:35 AM
You might be right but only partially. The quote for $7,995 was from Commercial Electronics in Vancouver some time in Oct/Nov. Today's price at Vistek (online) is $7,399 and I didn't see any accessories on their web. Perhaps Ontario dealers offer better prices...

Vistek always seems to list the highest prices on their website, but I'm not sure if they actually sell for that. I've noticed this in reference to the XL2, DVX100 and Digital SLRs.

As far as I know, Cinequip on both coasts have the same prices.

Do you know of any HD100 user groups in the GTA? Anyone who does basic and/or advance training?

I don't know of any. User groups are always tough to keep running without some sort of corporate sponsorship and a place to meet.
I may do a seminar soon, but I don't have any details. I'll keep you posted when I know more.

Constantin Marin
February 2nd, 2006, 06:00 AM

How about VINTEN PRo-10DC
It's nice... it has a soft case...and is cheap enough.. aprox. 1200 euro

Michael Lafleur
February 2nd, 2006, 06:52 AM
Thanks for the suggestion, Constantin. I hadn't checked out any of the Vintens before your recommendation and now that I look at the Pro-10DC, it seems very suitable and more portable than any others I've come across. And it folds to 23"??

What Camera and set up are you using with it? How many Kg/lbs load are you supporting/moving? How long have you had it and do you know how any other users have faired with it? Did you try out any of the other brands I've been considering before settling on the Vinten?

Diogo Athouguia
February 2nd, 2006, 10:32 AM
The 526 head counterbalance is achieved through an adjustable spring for camera weights between 17.6lb and 33.1lb. The HD100 weights 6.9lb...

Chris Gorman
February 8th, 2006, 10:18 PM
I know B&H has listed that the 503 head supports up to 17. 2 lbs., but I checked with Bogen's site and via email and they said the 503 supports 13.2 max lbs.

Marcus Marchesseault
February 9th, 2006, 04:33 AM
Thanks for that info, Chris. I suspected B&H's specification was wrong as other sites had it listed as 13 instead of 17 pound capacity. It's nice to know from the source. I have a 503 on the way and my camera, rod system, monitor, and battery are going to come in near 13lbs. and now I'm sure I need to trim the fat as lean as possible. I did order the extra-long quick-release plate so I can keep things balanced nicely since I'm going to be pushing the envelope.

Heath Vinyard
February 12th, 2006, 04:11 PM
I was hoping someone could point me in the direction of a halfway decent tripod for the HD100 for around/under $500?

Also, could someone explain what exactly the tripod adapter is for? Is this like a quick release?

Thank you.

Jiri Bakala
February 12th, 2006, 05:57 PM
I was hoping someone could point me in the direction of a halfway decent tripod for the HD100 for around/under $500?
"halfway decent" and "under $500" are mutually exclusive. You will need at least $1,000 to get a decent tripod.

Also, could someone explain what exactly the tripod adapter is for? Is this like a quick release?
Yes.

Vincent Rozenberg
February 12th, 2006, 06:13 PM
A Manfrotto 503 head is good to start with. You can buy it with some legs for around 500/600 dollars, if you got more money buy better legs. See B&H for deals and prices.

Daniel Weber
February 12th, 2006, 06:46 PM
Check out the Libec line. They have good prices at B&H. 3 year warranty as well. I had one and had a problem with a part coming loose, they overnighted me a new part right away, no charge.

Otherwise you will be looking at a Bogen combo for around $600.

Miller is good as well, though much more than $500.

Dan Weber

Jemore Santos
February 12th, 2006, 07:04 PM
I have a Libec LS-55 setup which includes the sticks and a fluid head, It's a great set up for upgrading equipment, counter balance on this is abit too strong but if you had an AB mounted batter or a matte box this holds it perfectly.
My question is, is the Slide plate included good as or better then the specific JVC one?

Jemore Santos
February 12th, 2006, 07:04 PM
I have a Libec LS-55 setup which includes the sticks and a fluid head, It's a great set up for upgrading equipment, counter balance on this is abit too strong but if you had an AB mounted batter or a matte box this holds it perfectly.
My question is, is the Slide plate included good as or better then the specific JVC one?

Heath Vinyard
February 12th, 2006, 07:13 PM
Looks like their out of the Libec in my price range. Would this work for a starter?

Bogen / Manfrotto 3046 Tripod Legs (Black) with 3460 (503) Pro Video Fluid Head - Supports 13.2 lbs

Steven Thomas
February 12th, 2006, 09:01 PM
Good for the money:
http://www.evsonline.com/merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=503351MVB2

Heath Vinyard
February 25th, 2006, 09:12 AM
I'm looking to get a larger plate for my HD100/Bogen 503. I've seen JVC's at a whopping $279.00. Seems a bit high. Would the 501PLONG from Bogen for the 503 head work just as well? It's only $70 or so.

Thanks.

Alan Craven
February 25th, 2006, 09:30 AM
The European catalogue (Manfrotto branded) shows the 501PLONG plate as being compatible with the plate supplied with the 503 head.

Beware the even longer 357PLONG as this is compatible with the 316 and 516 heads.

Diogo Athouguia
February 27th, 2006, 08:55 PM
I ordered that plate to use my HD101 with the 503 head. With the big batteries it became too back heavy and the heads plate doesn't slide forward enought. The JVCs plate is too expensive and I think this will be a good option. My only concern is if the long plate won't let me put the camera on the shoulder. I'll have it next week and I'll post about it.

Bruce Meyers
March 14th, 2006, 08:38 PM
The HD100 is an excessively heavy camera, can a normal tripod handle it for say a VX2000 or do you need a different tripod? What tripod works with this camera? I'm on a VERY limited budget and I need to get a t-pod under 200 dollars that won't break when the camera is mounted on it, something pretty tall too, any recommendations?

Constantin Marin
March 15th, 2006, 02:14 AM
For 200$ maybe MANFROTTO from Italy can give you a good tripod. Also I know a very good tripod from Vinten model Pro-5DP, but it cost 500$.

Manfrotto, Vinten and Sachtler are owned by the same company.

Bruce Meyers
March 15th, 2006, 03:19 PM
Manfrotto? Thank you very much. Can someone give me some specifics about any other cheap HD100 compatible tripod! Please!? I know many if not most of you are working with tripods, what can you use in the 200-10 dollar price range? It's crucial that I get this information. The more specific the better, what 200-20 dollar tripod will work with the HD100 without collapsing or tipping over? Can someone please, give me this info!? Thanks for the manfrotto tip, is there anything else? What are most of you using?

Bruce Meyers
March 15th, 2006, 03:28 PM
Manfrotto? Thank you very much. Can someone give me some specifics about any other cheap HD100 compatible tripod! Please!? I know many if not most of you are working with tripods, what can you use in the 200-10 dollar price range? It's crucial that I get this information. The more specific the better, what 200-20 dollar tripod will work with the HD100 without collapsing or tipping over? Can someone please, give me this info!? Thanks for the manfrotto tip, is there anything else? What are most of you using?

Nick Reed
March 15th, 2006, 03:50 PM
When you say "tripod", you mean tripod AND head, right? If so, this is probably the best that you can do for $200...

Davis & Sanford Pro Vista (cap. 18 pounds)

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=243272&is=REG&addedTroughType=categoryNavigation

Honestly, you need a tripod in the range of $1400 to $2000. I am not recommending a $200 tripod because I think it is what you need, I am recommending it because it is what you are asking for. I think you will be very unhappy with a $200 tripod. I consider $500 the barest minimum but I don't want one of those either.

Nick

Don Bloom
March 15th, 2006, 04:25 PM
Bruce,
The camera weights in at about 7 pounds-throw on an Anton Bauer battery with say a wireless receiver and its would still be under 10 lbs (Dionic 90 battery weights 1.7 pounds-most receivers probably in the range of the same) so it's not excessively heavy. just about any set of tripod legs that work with a VK2000 would work with the HD100-just get a GOOD tripod head-nothing less than a Bogen (Manfrotto) 503 and for real fluid moves a 516 head is great. I use a JVC5000 and with everything on it including Dionic 90 batteries, shotgun mic, Wireless receiver (sometimes 2) and AB light-it still only weights in at a bit under 17 pounds and the 516 head on 515 legs is a great combo.
Even the 501 NON FLUID head from Bogen will handle support 13.2 pounds so you have many choices-not sure about the $200 though but with some sharp shopping you MIGHT find something if you need to switch.
BTW a Bogen Manfrotto leg/head combo is the 3021N legs with the 501 head it'll work-supports 9.9 pounds an is $283.oo US from B&H photo.
Don

Daniel Wang
March 16th, 2006, 12:43 AM
I dont think Sachtler, Vinten, and Bogen/Manfrotto are the same company.

For instance, Sachtler is MUCH better with carbon fibre leg locks. But the heads are heavier.

And Vinten heads are lighter but less durable, the alum. legs are incredible, carbon fibre legs require "finesse." The illuminated pan / tilt seting are cool.

And Bogen, is cheaper, durable (mostly) but heavy. The bowl leveling handle, is great, alot of guys I know rip off the handle from their bogen, put it on a Sachtler or Vinten head, the Sachtler and Vintens have only knobs.

If any marketing manager was smart, then there wouldve been some kind of super-head and leg-set introduced by now. And yet?

I know Bogen, owns many companies, including Manfrotto, Gitzo, Metz, Avenger, along many others, covering almost the entire photographic equipment line, except lenses.

But if I am mistaken, and Sachtler, Vinten, and Bogen/Manfrotto, are the same company, please prove me wrong.
---------------------------------------------------------

By the way, find a used 3066 head on pretty much...and legs. And you're set for a HD100. But if you insist on new, Daiwa (or Silk Broadcast I think?) does a good head and legs, but service is not readily available in the US. Look at B&H, I've heard some nice things about Libec, and there is a Bescor set that looks good but I'm not sure.

www.bhphotovideo.com >Professional Video > Support > Set> (Do not select Bogen)

Nick Reed
March 16th, 2006, 07:32 AM
Bruce,

Please stop creating new threads for the same question. So far, you have posted these threads...

Tripod for HD100

HD100 Tripod Please Help

HD100 Tripod Question

Perhaps the Moderator can combine all of these under one post. Until then, may I suggest that from this point on, we stick with "Tripod for HD100" (this one that we are in right now) which has the most responses and do ALL of your posting on it.

To answer your question from the other thread on the same topic...

I guess if all you want to do is hold the camera up, you will be happy with the Davis & Sanford Pro Vista for $200.

Here's an idea. Maybe you don't need a tripod at all. Maybe you could set a footlocker or crate on end and set the camera on top of it. Then, when you are done shooting, you can throw your camera and other gear in the fooltlocker. If you want to make it fancy, you could but a screw in it to mate with the camera and hold it tight. For a deluxe setup, you could mount a tripod head to the footlocker! Since you don't have a need to pan, I would recommend a Bogen 501 head.

Nick

Diogo Athouguia
March 16th, 2006, 04:19 PM
I dont think Sachtler, Vinten, and Bogen/Manfrotto are the same company.

But if I am mistaken, and Sachtler, Vinten, and Bogen/Manfrotto, are the same company, please prove me wrong.

I don't know if they're the same company, but I have a Manfrotto 503 and a Vinten Pro-6 heads and they're exactly the same, just a little difference on the buttons and the cover plastic. I'm sure it is the same head.

I have the 503 head with 525 legs for the HD100, this head is very good but the spring is not strong enought to perfectly balance the camera with heavy batteries. When I purchased it I tried the head with the JVC battery and it performed very well, but now I would chose the 516. A long plate is also required when using heavy batteries, it has to slide more to the front for balancing. Another option is the JVC tripod plate, but it's much more expensive.

Tim Le
March 16th, 2006, 07:34 PM

Hello Daniel. It is true, they are all owned by the same parent company, the Vitec Group plc:

http://www.vitecgroup.com/group/group_overview.aspx

The Vitec Group is actually the Vinten company who went on a buying spree in the early 80's and gobbled up all of these famous camera support companies. My hunch is that each company still operates fairly independently since they each serve different market segments, but you can see how it is possible that some of the low-end Vintens could just be re-badged Bogens or Gitzos.

Because they are all sister companies, they technically do have access to each other's technology. This is very interesting because in the old days all of these companies competed fiercely against each other and in doing so developed many, many patents for various things like fluid drag and counterbalance. Now corporate owns all of these patents so technically they could direct Sachtler to design a head based on an O'Connor patent or vice versa. So why isn't there some "super head" yet then? Beats me, but it's probably for business reasons.

The photographic division consist of:

* Avenger
* Bogen Imaging
* Gitzo
* IFF
* Kata
* Litec
* Manfrotto

The broadcast systems division consist of:

* Anton/Bauer
* Clear-Com
* Drake