View Full Version : JVC GY-HD100 Tripod Mount

Pages : 1 2 [3]

Mike Teutsch
October 25th, 2006, 07:01 AM
I
I personally think the 501 is a better head than the 503, the 501 is more fluid and smooth.
andy.

It is exactly the opposite. The 503 is the more fluid head and has a price to prove it.

Mike

Maat Vansloot
October 27th, 2006, 08:26 PM
Maat,

Have you seen this review on Studio Monthly; http://www.studiodaily.com/studiomonthly/searchlist/5997.html? It covers many of the heads in your price range. You may need to register to see the review however, but it's free.

On another note, I use the 505 with the HD100 and love the option of interchangeable springs. Unfortunately, this head has been discontinued but is similar to the Gitzo.There is still the 519. It has 2 different springs you can interchange. One is maybe 2 to 10 lbs and the other is 10 to 20 lbs. I forget the exact weights.

I'm very interested in the 519. I've heard its "fluidity" is better than the 501 and the 503 too, but I can't get my hands on one around here to give it a test! Hmmmmm.... airfare to NYC to do tryouts at B & H just to buy a $800 to $1300 tripod......

Cal Johnson
October 27th, 2006, 08:41 PM
Not to offend anyone, but I just wanted throw this in there since I own a 501 and its being discussed. I really thought it sucked. I eventually stopped using it for any kind of professional work, and just rented better tripods. There's a new Gitzo that some guys are really liking (1380 or something like that?). I know funding can be tough, but I swear, its better to wait and buy something that really works well. I felt that in the end my 501 was just a waste of money. Again, I'm just one opinion, others may not agree, and that doesn't mean they're wrong. I should mention that I like a really nice heavy feel to my head. I find its hard to get smooth movement with light action. Some people are just the opposite.

Lisa Bennett
October 31st, 2006, 06:45 AM
What tripod head and legs are you using for HD100U?

Thank you,
Lisa

Nigel Cooper
October 31st, 2006, 08:43 AM
Vinten Vision 3, Vinten Vision 6 and Libec LS38, depending on how rigged up with gear the camera is. If cam/lens alone Vision 3 and Libec, if rigged with extra battery packs, long lens and matte box system etc I use Vision 6

Ben Chace
October 31st, 2006, 11:09 AM
I use the bogen 525 with bogen 503 head - its fine for shots with a stable base - but is tricky for dollie shots - I would prefer something heavier.

Gary Morris McBeath
October 31st, 2006, 11:35 AM
I use Miller Solo DV Carbon Fiber sticks with a Sachtler DV6SB Head. The combination is light and reasonably sturdy, makes for easy packing in or carrying up stairs! The sticks are quick and easy to set up. When I need a bit more stability, I hang a sandbag in the center of the sticks.

I had a 503, but found the lubricated friction head not smooth enough on pans, tilts etc. The Sachtler is a true fluid head.

I prefer working with an even larger head, like the Sachtler Video 20P, but problem is the balance springs, even on the lightest setting, are too strong for this light a camera.

Hope this helps.

Gary

Tim Brown
October 31st, 2006, 11:41 AM
I use Bogen/Manfrotto 3181 legs with a 505/3465 head. Works like a charm when fully loaded with matte box, Dionic, etc.

Jonathan Nelson
October 31st, 2006, 02:04 PM
Sachtler dv 4 with sachtler aluminum sticks, so far this setup has worked pretty well for me but I could see some people having issues with the head only having 2 levels of drag. The Sachtler dv4 is pretty amazing if your going from like a bogen 501 because you can pan/tilt without jerking or having to loosen the head so the camera doesnt tip over. I have a second hd100 and I am going order the cartoni GAMMA for it.

Lisa Bennett
November 1st, 2006, 08:41 AM
Hi,

All of this info is helpful. Thanks a bunch for the replies.

I have Bogen 3046 legs but the head isn't the best one to use with the HD100. I'm thinking I can change the head and use a sandbag as Gary suggested.

I also have an older tripod, an MTE. The legs are very sturdy but will require the camera plate. Can you tell me if the camera plate for the HD100 fits all brands of tripods or is there a specific one that I would need to fit the MTE with the HD100? All of the cameras I have had prior to the HD100 did not require the big plate. I was able to just screw it into the small removeable plate that is on my Bogen.

Thanks again for the input.

Gary Morris McBeath
November 1st, 2006, 12:11 PM
Lisa,

Regarding the small tripod head plate vs the JVC tripod plate: I believe the JVC will fit all tripods; you just attach the small tripod head plate to the JVC plate, and then you snap the camera in and out of the JVC plate. I just do as you did before, I attached the Sachtler small plate directly to the bottom of the JVC camera, and snap it in and out of the Sachtler head. It attaches to the camera the same way it attaches to the larger plate, with the supplied screws.

Gary

Gary Morris McBeath
November 1st, 2006, 01:31 PM
Lisa,

Follow up to my last post: not all the small tripod head plates snap in easily, like the Sachtler does; my 503 plate slid in, and tended to get jammed or stuck if I didn't get it started square. A JVC plate would be a benefit here. Dont know about the other brands.

If I can make one suggestion, Hi-def needs to shot rock steady; the larger screens and higher resolution tend to give people jitters if it is shaky. So, whatever head you buy, try to make it a true fluid head, and not a lubricated friction plate head. When talking to reps on this issue, pin them down; a lot of advertised "fluid heads" are really friction heads. The friction heads I've had tend to get "stuck" and start pans or tilts with a jerk.

Best thing is to go to a video trade show where all the tripods are on display and try them out with the same camera you have, and talk to the factory reps.

Hope this helps.

Gary

Lisa Bennett
November 1st, 2006, 05:03 PM
Hi Gary,

Yes it has helped. Thank you for telling me about Sachtler DV6SB head. I'm going to check into this one. I haven't worked with one before but it sounds like it's working out great for you. Glad to hear of it.

Thank you,
Lisa

Ted OMalley
March 16th, 2007, 10:53 AM
I also have the HD100 with the AB Dionic 90 on it (and shotgun and wireless receiver). With the mounting plate, it comes in just over 11 lbs.

I'm considering a Libec tripod, as "bang for the buck" is a driving factor and I'm limited on resources. Two models interest me, the LS-38 and the LS-55. Both tripods seem to be sized correctly - 8 to 18 and 8 to 22 lbs, respectively.

It is my understanding that the 55 model adds a two-stage drag mode. Is this the only real difference? is there any other reason to pay $250 more for the 55?

Thanks,

Joseph A. Benoit
March 25th, 2007, 03:47 PM
Hello
what do you think is the best tripod for the 110u.
do you know of any good use ones around?
thank you
Joe

Justin Ferar
March 25th, 2007, 04:15 PM
Hi Joseph,

That's a very, very, very, broad question. There are a staggering number of best tripods for this cam.

Let's start with your buget...

What is it?

Joseph A. Benoit
March 25th, 2007, 04:24 PM
Only about $400-$500
with camera and the deck i'm a little tapped out
thank you
Joe

Werner Wesp
March 25th, 2007, 05:14 PM
Hmmm, that might be a small budget for a serious sturdy tripod...

But is depends: do you use IDX or A/B mount and do you use a tripod adapter plate?

Chris Hurd
March 25th, 2007, 06:05 PM
Moved from JVC Pro HD to Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads. I'm pretty sure this is a Frequently Asked Question, so please search for an existing discussion and reply directly. Thanks in advance,

Ted OMalley
March 27th, 2007, 07:09 AM
I just went with a Libec - and couldn't be happier! It's priced like a Bogen, but is really smooth.

Libec makes a smaller one that will support the HD110 in your price range, but this one is really sweet, if you can swing it!

Justin Ferar
March 27th, 2007, 12:21 PM
We use the Libec LS-55 as well.

They are not built to withstand rough run and gun shooting. But they are light and you can't beat the price and performance. If you baby them they are fine. If you are not using a pro battery system you could go with the lower model.

Jason Knoll
March 28th, 2007, 09:41 PM
I am using a Vinten Vision 3 with my HD100u, and the Anton Bauer mount. With the JVC adapter plate its rock solid. Its a little more than you said your budget was, but its worth every penny!

Joseph A. Benoit
April 2nd, 2007, 07:40 PM
Hello again
i've been looking at bogen 501 head with tripod bogen 475
what do you think ? its for the hd110u
thank you
Joe Benoit

Yeo Wee Han
April 3rd, 2007, 07:14 AM
Joseph,

I have been using a 501 head with a Sony ZIP and on wider shots, it works fine. When fully-zoomed however, it takes a jerk to start the pan or tilt. I only rec this for smaller camcorders and not something like your JVC. There is no counterbalance and is just an ok head.

Some others have commented, get the Vision 3 and dun look back. This would most prob be a one-time investment and you would want to get it right.

Cheers

WeeHan

Ben Garvey
April 6th, 2007, 09:15 AM
I posted this before, but have gotten no response, so thought I would try here.

After my Sachlter DV4 collapsed,
I am currently debating between getting a Sachtler 18 or an oconnor 1030hd.
Has anyone had experience with these tripods. I had the hd110U, loaded down with anton bauer system, monitor, wireless mics, and mattebox so the weight adds up.

I am want a tripod that will last me a long time, and through many cameras. I am amazed by how much these things costs, but I am willing to bite the bullet, and make an investment that will last, instead of keep buying budget sticks that break.

I have found both tripods used that will fit in my budget.
And advice much appreciated.

Thanks
Ben

ps. Good to see you on this forum Bob Jones. I don't know if you remember me, but I ordered your skycrane in Portland, Or.

Robert Jones
April 6th, 2007, 10:40 AM
Hello Ben,

Bob Jones here from Nightshift Enterprises, home of the Skycrane.

This is pretty much the same posting I gave to another member a day or so ago.

Ben, if your looking for a ROCK SOLID tripod, take a hard look at the "Bogen 3051", It's the tripod I recommend to support my jibs.

The "3051" is an extremely robust tripod and it's not what you'd describe as a light weight.

You can often find them on Ebay for a fraction of the retail price.
If purchased new they're still modestly priced. I believe retail is around $240.00 to $275.00

The "3051" has internal locks that can be released by (for lack of a better term) "thumb buttons" at the head of the tripod, a very cool feature.

The "3051" is way underrated in terms of its weight capacity.

Hope this info helps.

Cheers
Bob Jones

I cut it twice and it's still to short...

Tim Le
April 6th, 2007, 01:21 PM
Both the Sachtler Video 18 and OConnor 1030 are very good fluid heads and are very common in professional use. You can't really go wrong with either one at this level. The main differences have to do with preferences. The Sachtler has step drag while the OConnor has continuous drag. The Sachtler probably weighs less than the OConnor but the OConnor has a better and more versatile counterbalance system, which can go continuously down to zero. I have an OCOnnor Ultimate DV, which is exactly the same as the 1030 except it's smaller and holds less weight, and I'm happy with it. I'm surprised you can get a 1030HD for that price though. Maybe it's a 1030B? The 1030HD is the same, just with lower drag and a black color but it's newer and goes for $5K brand new.

Ben Garvey
April 6th, 2007, 03:20 PM
Bob,
From personal experience, I wouldn't go near anything Bogen with a ten foot pole. Especially trusting my hd110 on a set of bogen sticks.

Every tripod set I have had from them seems to have a problem of one sort or other, besides the lack of performace compared to the higher end models. I have had a head that would go in and out of sticking while panning, legs break, bolts pop off. Even on bogen sets for my still cameras. I generally think bogens are overated, and they have become more about the name than actual real solid perfomance.

Sachtlers are nice, but seem really overpriced in the lower range, I'm talking about everything from my DV4, to the DV8. After testing the oconnor, it is more expensive, but seems like your getting every dime back you're paying for.

Nate Weaver
April 25th, 2007, 01:24 AM
I got a O'Connor 1030B/25L CF sticks combo in December, and it's tremendous. That after trying every head/sticks combo I could get my hands on in Burbank for a week.

Scott R. Smith
May 7th, 2007, 04:14 PM
I am using the JVC HD250's and am totally loving my new tripod. I got the Cartoni Focus head and the Cartoni Composite 2 stage legs. Its lightweight enough to feel portable, and heavyweight enough to feel stable. The focus head, especially, is fantastic. You could save a little cash with single stage legs, or aluminum legs.

Toby French
May 20th, 2007, 12:47 PM
I'm toying with the idea of buying an old O'connor 50D fluid head to support my JVC GY-HD111 kit. Loaded with IDX battery pack and mattebox etc. it's a fairly weighty set-up, but still nowhere near the O'connor's optimal balancing weight of around 30-35 pounds. If I go ahead, what kind of performance can I expect from the O'connor? Will it still facilitate smooth tilt/pan moves or simply prove too cumbersome for my purposes?
I would dearly welcome the benefit of your expert advice,
Many thanx,
Toby.

Lisa Bennett
June 12th, 2007, 11:52 AM
Can someone tell me if an ITE 40 head will work with a jvc gy-hd100u? What adapter kit, if any, is needed?

I have an ITE 40 but no plate...is there someplace I can buy only the plate to work with the hd100u?

Thank you
Lisa

Alex Humphrey
July 25th, 2007, 01:29 PM
I was hoping someone could point me in the direction of a halfway decent tripod for the HD100 for around/under $500?

Also, could someone explain what exactly the tripod adapter is for? Is this like a quick release?

Thank you.

AINT NONE... I got a Manfroto 501 and 1021 sticks... Just don't. I might sell you mine for cheap when i get a Sachtler or maybe a Miller DS20.. or maybe just take the cheap route and get a Manfroto 516 to get me through the summer....

Alex Humphrey
July 25th, 2007, 01:42 PM
Not to offend anyone, but I just wanted throw this in there since I own a 501 and its being discussed. I really thought it sucked. I eventually stopped using it for any kind of professional work, and just rented better tripods. There's a new Gitzo that some guys are really liking (1380 or something like that?). I know funding can be tough, but I swear, its better to wait and buy something that really works well. I felt that in the end my 501 was just a waste of money. Again, I'm just one opinion, others may not agree, and that doesn't mean they're wrong. I should mention that I like a really nice heavy feel to my head. I find its hard to get smooth movement with light action. Some people are just the opposite.

I second the 501 feeling as a waste of money. Just wondering if the 516 is enough better to stick with the brand or go Miller or Sachell or Cartoni. I was at the JVC HD seminar last week in SF. Tried out all those tripods (above) are light years better than my 501. 501 looks pro, but works like a $70 sony tripod.

Michael Lafleur
July 25th, 2007, 05:11 PM
I have been using the Bogen / Manfrotto 519 Pro Video Fluid Head (75 mm; Supports 22 lb ) and the 525 sticks for nearly 2 years supporting batteries, wireless kits and other accessories and they work very well together. Pricing was around $1,500 CAN but you certainly notice the difference over the 501 or 503 head.
I would definitely recommend using at least the 516 or the 519 if you are considering Manfrotto. If you have a little more to invest, some of the other suggestions above, such as Gitzo or Cartoni or Sachtler, are excellent choices.

Julian Maytum
July 27th, 2007, 07:22 PM
Hi all,

Moving over from my old GY DV500 to the 110U I believe and I need to get a plate to go with it. Are there any alternatives to the one from JVC? I have a Bogen 3066 head already from my old setup which I like and use.

Thanks in advance,

Julian

Simon Sommerfeld
September 25th, 2007, 04:40 PM
Nate: I'm thinking of getting the same O'Connor set-up as yourself. How do you like those sticks? Is the leg locking mechanism quick and easy? I used a set of 35L O'Connors on the weekend and quite liked the single release lever that allows all 3 legs to move at the same time (different from the 25L). Set-up is a breeze.
Are you happy overall with the head/sticks combo?
Best,
Simon.

Jeffrey Butler
October 16th, 2007, 07:53 PM
Ok, I ripped the right arm off by opening the 3046 legs (with the crank) and the arm got caught on the legs as I yanked on them....pow! Off went that arm. So sickened, I picked up some nice 3192 sticks from Chad Terpstra, swapped the control arm to the left side and mounted it.

Then horrified, I discovered that somewhere, somehow - I don't know how - the head had split, ripping the left third off.

I don't want to comment on that head, as it's been around the world with me, but really, not a pro head. I now need a new head. I want a fluid one for my HD250 (load it in your mind how you would) that will complement my 3192s.

I'm hearing no to the 503 and yes to a Sachtler...which one though? Chad seemed disappointed in the Focus...there's lots of research to look into here, but I thought I'd share the photos....

Chad Terpstra
October 16th, 2007, 08:05 PM
Wow... Talk about some really crazy tilting... You must film like a madman. ;-)

I use the Bogen 516 and am quite satisfied with it. I know there are better sticks around but I can do everything I need with these and it's light and smooth. But if you have the money, Sachtler is the brand of choice for me. The ease of use and resistance selctors are great. And smooth smooth smooth. But the good ones are pricey.

Jeffrey Butler
October 16th, 2007, 08:26 PM
Wow... Talk about some really crazy tilting... You must film like a madman. ;-)

Heh. I wish I had the shot that broke it - you know, jumping off that cliff to get the bald eagle fighting the snow leopard for a fish (hah)....I don't even remember it breaking. I just remember going 'Uh...ain't right...wth' ...

I'm eyeing a DV-8/100. Pricey new, but I think I found one used. We shall see.

Thanks, Chad.

Aaron Huang
August 25th, 2008, 06:06 PM
Hi guy, I have a JVD HD101E with letus HD100, canon FD lens, iKan V800HD, cavision rod, matt box, follow focus, anton bauer battery and a DR HD100. the whole setup is about 9KG.
I am looking at the sachtler DV6sb with speed lock 75 cf tripod. would that tripod system provide a steady shot with smoot pan tilt?

What other tripods around $2K range provide good support for my set up.

Many thanks.
btw, I am in New Zealand, if anyone here is from NZ and is willing to sell ur used tripod, I would like to have it.

Stuart Nimmo
February 2nd, 2009, 10:09 AM
Personally I know of no magic low cost tripod/ head. They may exist, but I've never found one I could really work with. It’s worth remembering that a good well-balanced tripod will make all the difference to your shots and should long outlast your new camera and at least the next one.

I've worked with Satchler (now owned by Vinten) with Cartoni/ Manfrotto, Bogen and so on. I eventually got myself a Vinten 100 with carbon legs and have found it constantly excellent. It’s done a lot of travelling and plenty of harsh work. At one point it was run over by a Johannesburg taxi but Vinten managed to repair it and it's still as good as the day I first had it.

When choosing a tripod do really try it out, mount your camera, and test it for as long as you can, try all the adjustments. Tripod legs should be really firm, no whip at all and should be easy to extend and lock, very light ones are often a mistake; they may seem fine in the store but out in a wind it’s a very different matter. It’s often forgotten that you must keep the leg joints tight or you'll start finding that "buffering" pans and tilts becomes more and more difficult.

The choice of head itself is very personal, it'll become a vital extension of your arm to fingertip movement so don't 'skimp' on it, that often proves a false economy. I've also found that various brand new examples of one model can feel quite different, so if you find and like one it's a good idea to buy the actual tripod you tested.

Alex Humphrey
February 3rd, 2009, 06:19 PM
Well looking at BH and Libec has two sub $700 tripod with fluid heads. LS-38 and TH-2000. Anyone use one? I saw some people using the Libec 55's in the $1,000 - $1,200 range on this thread and they seemed to be happy.

I did pick up (in a fit of rage against my manfrotto 501) a Mathews 25. It is a light duty Libec hybrid of sorts. Not made for a camera as heavy as a JVC, but it does a better job than my 501. The bubble level is not to be trusted and it's really made for a 8 lb camera. nice and smooth. A real winner for the lighter cameras. Not strong enough counter balance for the 100/200 series, especially with extras. However I did like how it was made and how it works,hence my question if anyone is using the Libec bigger pods.