View Full Version : Tripod recommendations for the Canon XL2

Pages : 1 [2] 3

Matt Irwin
October 2nd, 2005, 02:40 PM
Sachtlers are nice if you're willing to shell out a few thousand dollars. If I'm not mistaken, the O'Connor Ultimade DV head is cheaper than the cheapest Sachtler.

I own a Manfrotto 519 for DV work and I love it. It's very smooth, compact and has a max payload of 22 lbs- more than enough for an XL2. As mentioned above, the Cartoni Focus is excellent, and I've heard a lot of praise for the Vinten Vison 3 as well.

Bob Safay
October 6th, 2005, 08:31 AM
Go with the 503. It is GREAT. I have the 503 with the Bogen 3046 legs. A little on the heavy side but really ROCK solid. Bob

Meryem Ersoz
October 6th, 2005, 08:55 AM
i find that i need two tripods for my XL2, a self-transported, field tripod that i can carry and a studio/auto-transported tripod. so i would say that an answer to your question depends on how you plan to use your tripod and head.

for studio use, i am really loving the 516 (3246 legs), also in the field with EF adapter and 35mm lenses. but i can't carry all that junk unaided, so it limits the locations i can shoot. for field use (hiking, that is), i make do with a 701rc2 head and 3001Pro legs, which, if you don't extend them, are sturdy enough. it is about as light as i think it is possible to go with an XL2 on a real tripod. for quality footage, i think the 516 is a fantastic buy. if you plan to use EOS lenses, i think it pays to go larger than the 503.

the 516 has a longer mounting plate, than some of the other suggestions, which helps if you add large lenses or a lot of accessories, to center and balance the camera.

Dennis Kane
October 14th, 2005, 10:24 AM
Hi Ty
I just returned from Africa with my new Sony HD A1 and I took the audio book I bought from you for reference. It worked, got some fanatastic audio. Regarding a tripod/leg system; my experience with long lenses is stability and smoothness are crutial. Light weight is also a concern for me because I often fly in small planes with weight limitations.The system I brought with me to Zambia let me down, so I am on the hunt . The Bogen 503 is a fluid head (very important) the 501 is not a fluid head, and a good set of carbon legs (lighweight) would make a good package. Personally I am looking now at the Miller Solo dv 5 because of its light weight and smooth head. If anyone has any personal experience with this product, I am all ears.
dkane

Ty Ford
October 14th, 2005, 10:46 AM
Hi Dennis,

I'm so glad the "Audio Bootcamp Field Guide" proved helpful. Was there anything in particular you found helpful, or anything you think could use more clarification?

I was in NY for the Audio Engineers Convention last weekend. The Javits Center is about four blocks from B&H. I met one of B&H's audio guys at the show and he said they had tripod on the floor at B&H.

I went over at lunch and satisfied myself that the Sachtler DV6 2D was the one that worked for me. 19 LB capacity, 5 drags, mid spreader, lighted bubble, goes down to 20". I ordered it for about $1700+ from a local house.

Thanks again for your (and everyone's) guidance on this. I really appreciate it.

Ty Ford

Dan Selakovich
October 15th, 2005, 08:58 AM
You didn't mention how much you have to spend, but I have to mirror what most everyone else is saying: the 503 is VERY much a better head than the 501!!

Dan
www.DVcameraRigs.com

Ty Ford
October 15th, 2005, 07:22 PM
Um, that would be me saying, "I ordered it for about $1700+ from a local house."

The DV 4 was about $1000, but it lacked in several important areas.

Ty

Dan Selakovich
October 15th, 2005, 08:17 PM
Sorry Ty. I'm old and slow. You can certainly move up the food chain then! Have you taken a look at the Panther line of heads? Yikes!

Dan

Ty Ford
October 16th, 2005, 05:29 AM
This past summer, before I bought the XL2, I was on a shoot with a guy who had a very nice JVC camera and some sort of tripod. I asked him about the tripod. He said, "Well, it lists for $8K, but I got a DEAL on it for on $6k."

After they brought me the smelling salts and my head cleared.........

The Panther...no, can't say I have. Am I in store for another nose bleed?

Regards,

Ty Ford

Camren Cheline
January 7th, 2006, 12:39 PM
Hey, I'm looking for a tripod for my XL2. I've focused on Bogen/Manfrotto and Sachtler. I just want what works best. I've heard the Bogen called "Bogus." I've used them for years and have liked them. But, is there something out there that works particularly well for the XL2. I'm lost in so many leg and head models and not sure what the right combo is for just a good trusty tripod that holds your basic accessories. What have you guys found?

Dan Keaton
January 7th, 2006, 01:41 PM
The Sachtler is one of the best quality tripods, but there are others in this league.

Personally, I own and use the Sachtler DV-8/100 with carbon fiber speed-lock legs. This is a wonderful tripod, and it works well with the Xl1s especially with some of the heavier accessories. When I bought this setup, I did not want to outgrow it if I added some accessories to the camera.

Other high quality tripods are the O'Conner and Miller (and others). Once you use one of the best tripods, the higher quality is obvious, but these are generally not inexpenisve.

Generally, it is important to match the tripod head to the weight of the camera. A tripod for a 50 pound camera is not going to work well with an eight pound camera.

If you want to go with Bogen, in my opinion, avoid the 501. Jump up to a better tripod head, such as the 503. I have friends that use the 501 and they are very disappointed.

Kevin Wild
January 7th, 2006, 01:48 PM
Also consider the Cartoni Focus. I love mine.

KW

Miguel Lombana
January 8th, 2006, 12:37 AM
Hey, I'm looking for a tripod for my XL2. I've focused on Bogen/Manfrotto and Sachtler. I just want what works best. I've heard the Bogen called "Bogus." I've used them for years and have liked them. But, is there something out there that works particularly well for the XL2. I'm lost in so many leg and head models and not sure what the right combo is for just a good trusty tripod that holds your basic accessories. What have you guys found?

How much do you want to spend, I have a great Bogen combo with (GET READY FOR THIS THE 501 HEAD) which works great and I wouldn't part with it, all for under 300 from NormanCamera. You can shoot all the way up to two-grand if not more for a combo, call BH or Norman, tell them how much you're willing to spend and they'll setup you up.

Miguel

Declan Smith
January 8th, 2006, 04:17 AM
I have a vinten pro5 (manfrotto) with a 501 head (yuck!). I have changed the head to a manfrotto 519 which makes a huge, huge difference and seems to work really well with the XL2. I had to tighten the legs a bit as the XL2 loaded with FU-1000, lens adapter & dual battery holder tended to make the legs slide a little. I find panning and tilting really smooth with this head and you can adjust the head to find the balance / return point for your setup. A little pricy for the head UK £600 but I would say it's in my top 3 accessory purchases.

Dan Keaton
January 8th, 2006, 07:46 AM
Dear Camren,

A "Spreader" is used to make tripods more stable. These come in two flavors: ground-level and mid-level.

The ground-level spreader is a device that sits on the ground and the three legs of the tripod connect to it (or sit on it). This stabilizes the tripod by preventing the legs from spreading.

A mid-level spreader, is an option, or an integral part of the tripod and is mid-level from the ground to the tripod head.

The mid-level spreader is quicker, easier to setup, and works very well on un-even surfaces. This is especially true if you have two legs on one level, and the third leg is on another level, such as in a hole.

Overall, I like a quality mid-level spreader much better than a ground level spreader. Of course, a ground level spreader is much better than a tripod without a spreader.

A viable alternative to a spreader, especially for studio work is a dolly, which is essentially a ground level spreader with lockable wheels.

Boyd Ostroff
January 8th, 2006, 08:13 AM
I have a great Bogen combo with (GET READY FOR THIS THE 501 HEAD)

It really depends on what kind of work you do and what you expect. I have a Manfrotto (Bogen) 3221/501 which I have used with a PDX-10, VX-2000 and HVR-Z1. All of these are smaller and lighter than your XL-2. I still use it when I'm hiking around somewhere and don't want to carry a heavy tripod.

But I don't think the issue with the 501 will be the camera weight, it's the smoothness of movement. It works fine for a wide to medium shot. But if you're shooting at full telephoto (especially with the 20x on the Canon) I don't think you're going to be very happy. There is always a bit of a jolt when you start a tilt or a pan. Maybe this isn't an issue if you're filming fast action, but I find it really unacceptable for shooting live performances for example.

Another brand to look at is Miller. I have a DS-5 which I like, but for the XL-2 you'd probably want the DS-10. The action of these heads is way, way better than the 501. But of course you're going to pay a lot more...

Doug Boze
January 10th, 2006, 03:33 AM
Recently I posted that I was selling my Manfrotto 3066 head in hopes of raising cash for a Manfrotto 503 for my upcoming XL-2 outfit. As it happened, and by strangest coincidence, I had posted the 3066 on eBay only a short while when someone contacted me with an offer. He had a 503 to trade!

So now I have it, and very strange it looks perched on the 3192 Manfrotto tripod. Kind of like the Chrysler building without the spire. Very different feel and mechanics vs. the 3066. I'll be very interested to see how the XL-2 feels on this with mattebox, rails and battery adapter.

I think a lithesome head on a bulwark tripod is the best combo for outdoor work. Indoors you can de-rate the tripod somewhat, but avoid the shivery and anemic variety. You can never buy too much tripod, but you definitely can buy too little. The best is an investment, lasting across many cameras, so do not stint yourself. I've had the 3192 since '99, in single-digit to 100+ degree temps, in calm and gale-force winds, in dust and in water. Ever faithful, and absolutely rock-of-Gibraltar sturdy.

Johan Forssblad
January 10th, 2006, 05:15 AM
Also consider the Cartoni Focus. I love mine.

KW
Dear video folks,
I was looking yesterday at the Cartoni Focus for an XL H1. Seems to work great. Now is the question of a good tripod for that head.

I intend to use it in the third world with some flights and long walks in the nature. So low weight and compact when folded is essential. Also prefer carbon because it is much better to handle during winter time than aluminum which will very efficiently steal the heat from my hands.

Now, what do you think about tripods like Cartoni 622/2C, 1.8 kg or Manfrotto 542 ART 4 kg or a Sachtler?

What is giving Manfrotto more than double weight but only 25 % load capacity according to their own specifications?!

I haven't seen the ART system? How does it work? Will it easily break? I like if the tripod will withstand some abuse without breaking essential details. Quality is prefered.

Quick operation is important to use it as much as possible. Which tripod is quicker to raise?

Thankful for any advice or opinions. /Johan

Doug Boze
January 10th, 2006, 10:30 PM
Manfrotto 542 ART 4 kg? What is giving Manfrotto more than double weight but only 25 % load capacity according to their own specifications?!

According to their specs, it weighs 8.8 lbs, about 4 kg, and has a load capacity of 33 lbs, or about 15 kg.

Johan Forssblad
January 11th, 2006, 12:39 AM
According to their specs, it weighs 8.8 lbs, about 4 kg, and has a load capacity of 33 lbs, or about 15 kg.

Exactly Doug, Cartoni rates 60 kg load capacity on their 1.8 kg tripod (60/1.8=33 times stronger than its weight).

Manfrotto rates only 15 kg on their 4 kg (15/4=3.75).

Conclusion: Cartoni states their tripod is 33/3.75= 8.8 times more efficient to carry a load!!

Sorry I was unclear when I expressed my percentage calculation.

Doug Boze
January 11th, 2006, 02:33 AM
I wouldn't read the specs like that. It's not clear on Cartoni's site which of the pictured tripods is representative of the 622, but all look much more substantial than the Manfrotto 542 A.R.T. I wouldn't want to load 33kg on a tripod! If I were, I really wouldn't worry about the tripod weight. Or will you have serfs to carry your equipment? ;-)

I don't remember how much my tripod weighs. I recall it doesn't sound like much, but being single-stage and hence long when collapsed, I think the bulk of it makes it feel more unwieldy. Looking at the prices on carbon-fiber tripods, though, might make me agree with your method of comparison: mine is far more efficient at weight reduction for the money! :-p

Cal Johnson
January 16th, 2006, 05:39 PM
I couldn't agree with Boyd more about the 501 head, that's exactly the problem I have with it. It's fine if you're just covering a subject that's already moving, but for small corrections, there's always a bit of a jolt to get the friction plates moving.

I tried every tripod I could at NAB last year, best was the Miller Arrow 30, but its like 5-6 grand. Beautiful action though.

Adam Bray
January 22nd, 2006, 01:17 AM
I'm looking for a decent tripod for my XL2. I don't have any accessories on it besides the large battery. Would this setup work?

http://www.evsonline.com/merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=503351MVB2

Glenn Davidson
January 22nd, 2006, 01:34 AM
I just got one for my FX1 and think it is great. I think the 503 head a good choice for the XL2. In fact, the instructions show a Cannon XL in the diagram. Mine is from B&H and was a little less than the one in the link.

Doug Boze
January 22nd, 2006, 10:30 PM
I have the 503 head and 3192 tripod. Works great.

Rob Mitchell
January 24th, 2006, 12:41 PM
I got the Manfrotto 515MVB sticks and like them for the weight -7.5 pounds. I do a lot of news photography and they are light to carry but with one drawback.The tripod folds up so compactly, you can't get your fingers in there to pick it up. It looks great folded, but unless you have hands the size of a basketball player, you had better use a strap to carry it. As far as functionality though, it is really solid. I got the lower level spreader, but will change to the mid level for ease of set up outside.

I use the Vinten Vision 3 head and love it - smooth as silk. I use the Canon XL2 with it.

Victor Burdiladze
January 24th, 2006, 08:47 PM
Bogen/Manfrotto's 503,351MVB2K is a grate choice and costs only $495!!!
If you don't want to spend around $1500 with other brands (which no doubt are very good) then the above mentioned tripod is the one.

Daniel Riser
January 25th, 2006, 10:44 PM
Sticks for the XL2. I just got off a shoot using the indie dolly sticks (www.indiedolly.com) He has two stages, quick lock sticks with case and spreaders (these sticks are great, very durable and they go from 18" to 5' 5" !

They are only $300. I'm picking up my own this Saturday. Email him and tell him you want the $300 sticks. They are incredible sticks and should be double the cost!

Charles Penn
March 9th, 2006, 09:38 PM
I'm considering the Bogen MVB2346 Aluminum tripod kit with half bowl, 3460 (501) pro head with mid-level spreader with rubber shoes and padded case for my XL2 for @ $500. Good choice? Any other suggestions, less expensive, but good tripod kits? Thanks.

Chuck

Marc Ries
March 10th, 2006, 12:50 AM
I'm considering the Bogen MVB2346 Aluminum tripod kit with half bowl, 3460 (501) pro head with mid-level spreader with rubber shoes and padded case for my XL2 for @ $500. Good choice? Any other suggestions, less expensive, but good tripod kits? Thanks.
Chuck

I don't have the answer, but I will say that if you search the internet and other forums, 90% of the people will probably say that -- assuming you can not or will not be buying a more expensive head -- the extra $100 for the 503 head is money well spent.

As far a tripods go, I have always been leary of the double-tube, spreader required tripods just on the grounds of versatility. If you do a lot of filming in the wild with uneven ground, or even say, filming a wedding in a church and want to span a pew, you are going be playing around with the top/mid spreader.

And yes, I know that most, if not all, of the "expensive" ($1K+) Miller, etc. tripods are double-tube, I do know that one of the most praised tripods for under a grand is a Gitzo CF single-tuber.

Other than that, make sure that the tripod is high enough to suit your needs, unless you plan to be looking down all the time in the viewfinder.

PS: I wasn't able to track down the Part Number either at BHPhoto or the Bogen catalog. I personally like the 755B as it's reasonably light, supports up to 16lbs. and can go up to 58" high WITHOUT raising the leveling half-bowel center column.

Alan Craven
March 10th, 2006, 02:39 PM
The 503 rather than the 501 is not so much money well spent as money essentially spent.

The 501 is not a true fluid head and suffers from "stiction".

The 503 is a true fluid head, and will pan and tilt smoothly. A plus is that it has a counterbalance spring which should be a good match for the weight and COG position of the XL2.

Alkim Un
March 22nd, 2006, 11:15 AM
I have been used this head (501) for 3 years, first with sony vx2000, and xl2 for past 2 weeks. pan and tilt is ok-not perfect with 20x and 3x lens. but if you add telephoto like canon 100-400 L lens it suffers pan-tilt and does not lock properly.

just today I shooted wolves with xl2-100-400 lens with manfrotto 501 head and I got angry too much. it is because total wieght is more than 5 kg and center of gravity is odd. effective focal length is more 3000 mm so this head is not for this combination. now I m looking heavy sturdy tripod and head ...

alkim.

Mike Teutsch
March 22nd, 2006, 12:33 PM
The 503 rather than the 501 is not so much money well spent as money essentially spent.

The 501 is not a true fluid head and suffers from "stiction".

The 503 is a true fluid head, and will pan and tilt smoothly. A plus is that it has a counterbalance spring which should be a good match for the weight and COG position of the XL2.

Alan is exactly right, spend the extra money for the 503. The counter balance springs alone are worth the extra money and the head is true fluid and very smooth.

As far as the tripod, I too prefer single leg units, with center spreader bars, and a crank up center section. If you can find an older Bogen, like a 3030a or a 3033, get it. I bought a used 3030a at a swap meet about a year ago for $35.00, and I loved it so much I spent 6 months on ebay looking for another. In between that time, I bought a new Bogen, and sold it very soon afterward. They are just not as beefy and solid as the older ones.

Hope that helps.

Mike

Matthew Nayman
March 22nd, 2006, 07:13 PM
I have been using a 501 head for quite some time with an XL2 and an m2 and a lot of extras and it seems ot work fine. But I have been thinking of updating.

Joe Kramer
March 27th, 2006, 07:51 PM
Hi,
I recently bought a package deal with my XL2 that came with a tripod that isn't even capable of supporting the camera, and so I'm going to have to buy another one. Not really knowing anything about them, I was hoping someone here could help me out. I'm not looking to spend any more than $200; does anyone have any good suggestions? Either new or, preferrably, a better one that could probably be found used for $200?

Thanks,
Joe

Todd Kivimaki
March 27th, 2006, 08:04 PM
If you spent alomst 4k for a camera I wouldn't skimp and look for the cheapest tripod, even if you find one for $200 I think you'll end up being dissappointed and look to buy another tripod. Paying a little more in the beginning will save you money in the end.

I use this with my Gl2/vx2000 and am very happy, but you may need something a little more:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=220396&is=REG&addedTroughType=categoryNavigation

Andrew Khalil
March 27th, 2006, 09:04 PM
I agree - get a good tripod. At minimum, I'd get the 501 head and 3046 legs. If you can afford it, go with the 525 legs and 503 head and they won't disappoint.

Nick Reed
March 28th, 2006, 01:33 AM
If you get anything less than the Bogen 503 head, you are going to be kicking yourself...

Nick

Victor Burdiladze
April 17th, 2006, 03:29 PM
In few weeks, I'm gonna shoot short film with XL2.
Do you guys have any suggestions what tripod should I use?
I've used manfrotto 503 and I'm not very happy about it, especially with it's panning abilities; when I start panning it's never smooth.
I've heard Miller and Sachtler are very good; did anybody use those systems?
any other suggestions, maybe?

thanks in advance
Vic

Craig Chartier
April 17th, 2006, 09:41 PM
look at the vinten vision 3 system it has very good movement.

Chris Bottrell
April 18th, 2006, 03:04 PM
Try a Velbon DV 7000, not only are they half the price they are also smoother and better built for the money.

Cal Johnson
April 19th, 2006, 12:08 AM
Well, not to rub anyone the wrong way, but I'd strongly suggest you look at the Miller Arrow 30 if you can afford it, or a higher end Sachtler. I know exactly the problem you're describing, and so many tripods that feel smooth have the same problem, not being smooth off the start. The best torture test for a fluid head's smoothness is to zoom in on something, and then attempt small framing corrections. When I was new to the industry I bought a Bogden 501, and it's turned out to be just a waste of money. It's fine if you're just doing follow shots where the pan is continuous, but if you want to make small, minute corrections, its always sticky off the start.
I went to NAB last year and tried every tripod I could that was rated for the weight of the XL2. The Miller Arrow 30 was the best by far, and also the most expensive. I've used the Sachtler Video 20 which was also very good. I now rent a tripod for all my shoots, either a Miller or Sachtler, and am saving up for the Arrow 30. in the end, its worth the money as it saves so many shots.

Andrew Farrell
April 19th, 2006, 01:01 AM
The Miller Arrow 30 is a fantastic tripod but may be a significant overkill for the XL2 - not to mention send the average guy into bankruptcy trying to fund it. I am a huge fan of Miller Tripods though. Perhaps the DS20 fluid head with either the Solo Carbon Fibre spreaderless legs or one of the alloy legged tripods would work a treat.

Nick Reed
April 19th, 2006, 10:50 AM
First, I highly recommend that everyone who asks for equipment recommendations state a price range which is acceptable to them.

I have a Miller DS10 and I am looking for an upgrade. It seems that according to everyone here, the lowest cost solution to my problem and yours, is the Vinten Vision 3 (~$970). I don't think that I can remember ever reading one negative comment about the Vision 3... while I have read dozens, maybe hundreds, of positive comments about it.

Another fellow posted the other day that he had actually tried all of the contenders in this particular range and the Sachtler DV-8 won out... but it is quite expensive, around $3000. He suggested that the DV-6 (~$1550) is of similar quality. Since he had actually tried all of these side-by-side with his camera, his arguement was convincing, to me.

Also, since I plan on going to a smaller cam, I am considering the Vinten Pro 6 (~$430). I found one positive review on it but I need more.

So my short list is:

Vinten Pro 6
Vinten Vision 3
Sachtler DV-6

Nick

Victor Burdiladze
April 20th, 2006, 08:40 PM
Thanks for replying guys...
Miller Arrow 30 is a grate trypod but out of my price range; I might try Arrow 20, or Sachtler DV 6.(I'll check Vinten 3 too at B&H)

What do you think about Cartoni f103; that one seems to be pretty good?

I'm also cosidering the weight of the matte box, that I might put on XL2, so the above mentioned trypods should do, I think.

Thanks again
Vic

Luke Springer
June 14th, 2006, 06:56 PM
I'm looking for a fairly inexpensive tripod that would support an XL2, and be sturdy. I have plenty of time to shop around, because I'm still saving for my XL2 :^)

Would this be a good choice?
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=387808&is=REG&addedTroughType=categoryNavigation

Any suggestions would be appreciated (even different cameras). I'm open to options.

Thanks,
Luke

Ash Greyson
June 14th, 2006, 09:07 PM
That will work... that is really an entry level for an XL2 but should be fine.

ash =o)

Greg Boston
June 14th, 2006, 09:41 PM
I'm looking for a fairly inexpensive tripod that would support an XL2, and be sturdy. I have plenty of time to shop around, because I'm still saving for my XL2 :^)

Would this be a good choice?
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=387808&is=REG&addedTroughType=categoryNavigation

Any suggestions would be appreciated (even different cameras). I'm open to options.

Thanks,
Luke

Just so you know Luke, I have both of my XL-2 cameras for sale in the classifieds. They are in pristine condition and will save you some money over buying brand new.

-gb-

Mike Berlucchi
June 19th, 2006, 03:42 PM
Luke, I own this tripod and the XL2 and they work great together.

Mark Sasahara
June 30th, 2006, 11:09 PM
I've been happy with my Vinten sticks and Vision 3 head. It's not inexpensive, but it's been worth every penny. I use the XL2 in several different modes so the weight varies. The different counterbalance springs are about $30 each and the number, 1-10, refers to the weight in kilos. So, if your rig weighs thirteen pounds, you need the #6 spring ( 6 x 2.2lbs = 13.2 lbs). With the Wideangle converter, matte box and follow focus the #6 was usually about right. I also used the #5. Now that I have AB Hytron 50's powering my camera it's either the #8, or #9. Have to take a little time and see which spring is best.

Cartoni Focus is also very nice. I'm not a fan of Sachtler's lower end stuff, like the DV4 head and DA75 legs look too wimpy. Their heads and sticks for for bigger gear is much better.

The Manfrotto 515MVB, or 525MVB sticks and the Vision, or Cartoni heads might be a good way to go, you'll have a nifty two tone rig. These have 100mm bowls, so, if you get the Vision 3 head, you can get a Vinten 75mm-100mm adapter for about $25.

The head is the most important part and it's also the most expensive, but pay for quality and as someone else said: you'll only cry once.