View Full Version : Panasonic AG-MC100G XLR Microphone

David Hughes
February 3rd, 2003, 10:43 PM
Hi - Am I right in saying that the Panasonic AG-MC100G XLR Microphone is the one feature in many of the promotional pictures of the camera (as can be seen in the following link:
http://www.panasonic.com/PBDS/subcat/Products/cams_ccorders/f_ag-dvx100.html )

Anyway I was wondering if this mic was available yet and if so how much it retailed for?

Many Thanks,
Dave

David Nussbaum
February 4th, 2003, 08:50 PM
forget that mic and go for the SGM x2

www.bhphotovideo.com (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/?BI=155)

i just got it and its so amazing. I knew it would be good, but i was blown away. its only 220 at that site too, and 300 at others.

Steve Nunez
February 5th, 2003, 07:14 AM
If you add the SGM or other XLR mike can you still retain the use of the stock onboard mic? (as in using both the aftermarket mic and onboard at the same time- like recording 4 channels?)

Probably a silly question but just curious.

David Nussbaum
February 5th, 2003, 09:41 AM
i dont think so, since you need to switch to input 2 for a new mic.

I dont think it would be a good idea anyway though, since the mic it comes with is no better than a mic that comes with a 200 dollar Hi-8 cam X[

Skip Hunt
February 5th, 2003, 12:42 PM
Actually you can use the on-board mic and xlr at the same time. Just use the xlr on channel 1 and select "int" for internal mic for channel two. The mic isn't great, but completely useful for ambiant sound, especially when mixed with the xlr external mic on channel 1.

Skip Hunt

Zac Stein
June 27th, 2003, 11:48 PM
I can get this mic AG-MC100G for $100 USD in a package as with the dvx100, is it worth getting, i already have a k6/me66, was going to use it as my backup mic...

Should i just save the $100 ?

Zac

Dean Harrington
June 29th, 2003, 02:58 PM
save the $100 and get a good mike.

Dean Harrington
June 29th, 2003, 02:59 PM
mic - the other mike's not here. LOL

Yang Wen
June 29th, 2003, 03:04 PM
The SGM X2 is 16 inches long. There is no way you can mount that on the DVX100 and still have it be useful. How is the SGM X1 compared to it?

Dean Harrington
June 30th, 2003, 12:03 AM
put an extender on the mic arm and that should do it. got to get the mic out of the wide angle lense.

Yang Wen
June 30th, 2003, 05:55 AM
No I'm saying it will look stupid as hell having a mic that extends for the length of your camera, maybe even more!! Definitely draw attention to yourself and then when the other pros sees it's an Azden, its alll over...

Jarred Land
June 30th, 2003, 12:05 PM
try nrgresearch.com I bought the Schriber 568 from them and it is better than the Azden mics and is only about 12" long. Its only $139.00 special introductory price, you get all sorts of cables and connectors and mounts, a nice Hard aluminum case and soft bag. It is a little heavy (its all metal construction, not cheap plastic)

I think next month though the price goes up to $300, so better get it while you can. EVStape.com has it in stock, or at least they did when i got it.

Yang Wen
June 30th, 2003, 04:30 PM
Apparently the Schriber has a hiss problem. I wouldnt recommend it, also its rated freq response is rather narrow.

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8842&perpage=15&highlight=Schriber%20568&pagenumber=5

Rob Taylor
July 1st, 2003, 06:36 PM
>Apparently the Schriber has a hiss problem. I wouldnt recommend it, also its rated freq response is rather narrow.

I tried the Schriber and noise a slight noise problem, glad someone else has reported that I thought I had a bad unit.

I have both the Azden SGM-1x and 2x. If you want to use the 2x on the DVX100, just slide it back farther in the shock mount or remove the barrel extension.

Rob

Jarred Land
July 1st, 2003, 10:12 PM
I have the 568 on MY DVX and there is no Hiss on either setting.

That thread you are pointing to is the 568 used on a GL2 with a non xlr connection locked down to the solid mount... two different worlds.

The cable that comes with the 568 is also terminated very poorly with no true ground-shielding seperation... i didnt expect a good cable with the price of the mic...

The 568 in the DVX's shockmount works great.. at least mine does. And the frequency response between the two are both in the same Audible region.

I would not take the advice from someone advising not to buy it that does not have one; just is yapping off of hear-say.

Rob Taylor
July 2nd, 2003, 07:30 AM
Thanks Jarred, I will try the Schriber again. I was using it on the DVX100 when I was having the noise problem. I never went as far as checking the freq response. Rob

Jarred Land
July 2nd, 2003, 09:10 AM
yeah try a good cable if you get problems... you can tell if its the cable when you touch the metal barrel with your finger and get ground hum noise.

Yang Wen
July 2nd, 2003, 04:36 PM
<<<-- Originally posted by Rob Taylor : >Apparently the Schriber has a hiss problem. I wouldnt recommend it, also its rated freq response is rather narrow.

I tried the Schriber and noise a slight noise problem, glad someone else has reported that I thought I had a bad unit.

I have both the Azden SGM-1x and 2x. If you want to use the 2x on the DVX100, just slide it back farther in the shock mount or remove the barrel extension.

Rob -->>>

how is the 1x compared to the 2x?

Yang Wen
July 2nd, 2003, 04:46 PM
<<<-- Originally posted by Jarred Land : I have the 568 on MY DVX and there is no Hiss on either setting.

That thread you are pointing to is the 568 used on a GL2 with a non xlr connection locked down to the solid mount... two different worlds.

The cable that comes with the 568 is also terminated very poorly with no true ground-shielding seperation... i didnt expect a good cable with the price of the mic...

The 568 in the DVX's shockmount works great.. at least mine does. And the frequency response between the two are both in the same Audible region.

I would not take the advice from someone advising not to buy it that does not have one; just is yapping off of hear-say. -->>>

Besides yapping, I was reffering him to posts made by actual owners

Jim Quinlan
July 2nd, 2003, 06:06 PM
I just got a DVX100 and purchased that AG-MC100G XLR Microphone. I looked at the manual and am a little confused at one of the settings.

I have the microphone plugged into the XLR input 1 and have the Channel 1 select set at Input 1 and the Channel 2 select to int(r). To the right of those settings I have both Input 1 and Input 2 set on.

I'm assuming this means my external XLR mic is working in input 1 and internal mic for channel 2.

The question I have regards the two input settings at the very front of the camera for Input 1 (Line/Mic) and Input 2 (Line/Mic). They're both set for Mic but I can't find anything in the manual that explains this well. Pardon my ignorance but what is this setting for? Should they both be set at Mic?

I'm worried something could be set wrong because it almost sounds like I have an very faint echo. But that was when I had the volume turned up a little higher than it should have.

This camera takes beautiful pictures. I took it into the Great Smoky Mountains National Park last week and got some beautiful shots. If anyone's interested I posted it online
@ http://www.magoomedia.com/media/gsnp2.wmv

Jarred Land
July 2nd, 2003, 06:26 PM
Yang.. "Besides yapping, I was reffering him to posts made by actual owners"

owners of a totally different camera that the question was directed to lol...

WOO HOO give yourself a cookie.

no offense of course.

Yang Wen
July 2nd, 2003, 06:48 PM
no offense taken, enjoy your crappy mic

Jarred Land
July 2nd, 2003, 07:14 PM
lol, its a tool.. just like you.

Stas Tagios
July 2nd, 2003, 11:34 PM
<<<-- Originally posted by Jim Quinlan : I just got a DVX100 and purchased that AG-MC100G XLR Microphone. I looked at the manual and am a little confused at one of the settings.

I have the microphone plugged into the XLR input 1 and have the Channel 1 select set at Input 1 and the Channel 2 select to int(r). To the right of those settings I have both Input 1 and Input 2 set on.

I'm assuming this means my external XLR mic is working in input 1 and internal mic for channel 2. -->>>

Correct. But... the switches to the right of the channel 1 and 2 input switches are for turning the phantom power on and off. Phantom power means the camera battery supplies the power to your mikes, which is handy if you don't have a battery in your mike, but which does drain your camera battery quicker. I'm not sure if the MC100G can take an internal battery or needs to use phantom power, but I would suggest turning off phantom power to input 2, since you're using the internal mike, which doesn't need it (phantom power only works on the camera's two mike inputs.

<<<-- The question I have regards the two input settings at the very front of the camera for Input 1 (Line/Mic) and Input 2 (Line/Mic). They're both set for Mic but I can't find anything in the manual that explains this well. Pardon my ignorance but what is this setting for? Should they both be set at Mic? -->>>

Jim, to explain it poorly (since I'm no audio expert), the mic/line setting allows for inputs of varying strengths/impedances; namely, "line" referring to the type of signal you might typically get from a portable mixer or a sound board, and "mic" to a signal from a microphone. In your case, the "mic" setting is the correct one. In cases where you're unsure which setting to use, flip between the two to see which works/works best.

Jim Quinlan
July 3rd, 2003, 04:36 AM
Thanks for the reply Stas. The info is much appreciated and clears up some of the questions I had about the DVX100.

Wesley Wong
February 19th, 2005, 05:05 AM
to borrow this thread,

Hope this doesn't come across as a stupid question...

I have the Panny AG MC-100 too and now I bought an XLR cable to extend it so I can just use it as a handheld mic to do vox pox. But why doesn't it run phantom power to the mic and work it ? Is that the cable's problem ? Mic works fine going direct into the inputs but not with the extension cable.

Evan C. King
February 24th, 2005, 01:54 AM
I wish someone would answer Wesley Wong because I also have the AG-MC100G and was thinking of getting an extension cable as well

Wesley Wong
February 24th, 2005, 08:55 AM
Hey Evan,

I went back to the shop. Was the cable fault. Got a replacement.

So maybe you wanna bring your DVX as well as your AG-MC100 down when you get your cable - I got the pro-co excellines EXM10 (ft)