View Full Version : Sony wide angle lens in stock at B&H

Chris Joy
April 7th, 2006, 12:14 PM
While I was shopping forr my A1, I noticed some of you were looking to get one of these, mine just shipped, heh, heh.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?ci=1&sb=ps&pn=1&sq=desc&InitialSearch=yes&O=RootPage.jsp&A=search&Q=*&bhs=t&shs=SOVCLHG0737Y+&image.x=7&image.y=11

Just letting everyone know...

Jamie Hellmich
April 7th, 2006, 04:49 PM
Mine shipped from backorder today!!!

Jamie

Alex Thames
April 7th, 2006, 05:57 PM
It's 10 bucks cheaper at Amazon. Amazon raised the price for around $100 to $140 now, but still cheaper than BH's $150.

Aaron Winters
April 7th, 2006, 06:12 PM
Hmmm, only $10 difference?......ya support the sponsor.

Alex Thames
April 7th, 2006, 06:42 PM
Well, up to you. It used to be a $50 difference, but now it's more even.

Tom Bolia
April 7th, 2006, 10:54 PM
I just got a telephoto lens for my PD150 and tried it on. Is it normal for you to be able to actually see the lens through the camera viewfinder/monitor?

I understand that with any extension to the original lens, that one may experience a little vignetting, but to actually see about 1/5 of the screen enclosed by the circle is ridiculous.

Ben Hardy
April 10th, 2006, 06:26 AM
Guys,
Is it possible to re-install (and use) the A1's lens shade after attaching this wide angle sony lens to the A1?
Thanks,
Ben

Adam La Prade
April 10th, 2006, 09:29 AM
Guys,
Is it possible to re-install (and use) the A1's lens shade after attaching this wide angle sony lens to the A1?
Thanks,
Ben

Nope. The sony lens hood is only capable of working with the original 37mm lens. The end of this Wide-Angle lens is 77mm, so you'd need the Cavision LH77 lens hood.

Also, to make a note, this item is out of stock again...

Chris Joy
April 10th, 2006, 02:34 PM
I just got a telephoto lens for my PD150 and tried it on. Is it normal for you to be able to actually see the lens through the camera viewfinder/monitor?

I understand that with any extension to the original lens, that one may experience a little vignetting, but to actually see about 1/5 of the screen enclosed by the circle is ridiculous.

Don't know about a telephoto as I have no experience with them and I've never had any issues with a wide angle, but my fisheye is another story. I have to zoom through it to get the circle off the edges of the shot. But since its a fisheye it looks kinda cool that way and the efffect is most dramatic at full wide so I leave it in the shot. Since we're not changing the whole lens on a camcorder some of that is to be expected.

Bummer the wide angle is out of stock again, glad I got in before they all sold.

Jamie Hellmich
April 10th, 2006, 04:55 PM
I just got a telephoto lens for my PD150 and tried it on. Is it normal for you to be able to actually see the lens through the camera viewfinder/monitor?.

Yes, that is normal, and I believe Sony states so somewhere. It is intended to be used in tele mode, not wide angle.

I received my HG0737Y today. Nice lens. How much is that Cavison sunshade?

Jamie

Alex Thames
April 10th, 2006, 06:11 PM
It's $49.00, but I don't understand how you order from them using the email form. I'm unsure what to put down for shipping charges, total (because I don't know the shipping charges), and how to sign it. Help?

Ron Little
April 17th, 2006, 11:18 AM
Does anyone know were we can buy one of these hoods. $49 is in my reach.

Dustin Tran
April 18th, 2006, 03:42 PM
Does anyone know were we can buy one of these hoods. $49 is in my reach.
http://www.cavision.com/lenshoods/LH77.htm

Alex Thames
April 18th, 2006, 03:47 PM
Does anyone know how to order by email from Cavision?

I don't know what to put in for the shipping field, total, and how to sign it.

Dustin Tran
April 18th, 2006, 04:04 PM
Does anyone know how to order by email from Cavision?

I don't know what to put in for the shipping field, total, and how to sign it.

they asked me to fill out all the info without shipping charge and signature on the fax order form then email it to them. I guess the best way is order by phone.

Alex Thames
April 18th, 2006, 08:44 PM
Do you know what happens after you send them the form by email with blank shipping, total, and signature spots? How do they complete the order? I don't want to give out all my personal and credit card info for nothing.

Alexander Karol
April 18th, 2006, 10:11 PM
That's why I ordered via phone. I feel a little more comfotable knowing that only one person (the guy on the phone) will have my credit card number. Rather than having my fax/letter sit there for the entire floor to see. Also, you'll have it shipped faster if done via the phone, so you might as well.

Alex Thames
April 18th, 2006, 11:25 PM
Talking on the phone doesn't mean more security all the time. Sometimes, they not only write down your info on a paper (for all the see), but also repeat your info out loud (for all to hear). Generally, I am just not comfortable ordering things on the phone for various reasons. If they provide an email way of ordering, which they do, they should be more clear as to how exactly one should use the email form to order.

Adam La Prade
April 25th, 2006, 09:29 AM
Just wanted to say that Amazon has this item in stock right now for $99.

Just head over to Amazon.com and type in VCL-HG0737Y

Jason Lowe
April 25th, 2006, 06:36 PM
Just wanted to say that Amazon has this item in stock right now for $99.

Just head over to Amazon.com and type in VCL-HG0737Y

It's gone. The "X" version is available at B&H for $99. I think I'll just go with that one. From all indications, there's very little difference between the two.

J. Stephen McDonald
April 26th, 2006, 02:41 AM
It's gone. The "X" version is available at B&H for $99. I think I'll just go with that one. From all indications, there's very little difference between the two.

I would expect that the cheaper "X" model would not give you adequate resolution for HDV. But, you'd be performing a service if you bought it and gave us a review of how sharp it actually is.

Floris van Eck
April 26th, 2006, 03:09 AM
I believe it was stated here many times that the only difference is the color of the lens. So it's a pure astethical decision.

J. Stephen McDonald
April 26th, 2006, 05:06 AM
I believe it was stated here many times that the only difference is the color of the lens. So it's a pure astethical decision.

The "X" and "Y" telextenders and wide-angle lenses are of different physical lengths, the "Y" being longer, so there is that difference in them. It's uncertain what the optical differences may be, but Sony lists only the "Y" models on its website with an HD-rating.

Adam La Prade
April 26th, 2006, 04:42 PM
The "X" and "Y" telextenders and wide-angle lenses are of different physical lengths, the "Y" being longer, so there is that difference in them. It's uncertain what the optical differences may be, but Sony lists only the "Y" models on its website with an HD-rating.

It's funny you mention that, because is you goto the A1U product info page AT sony:

http://bssc.sel.sony.com/BroadcastandBusiness/DisplayModel?id=80897

It specifically says the X lens under recommended accessories. Strange? I bought the Y lens but thought that was interesting.

Frank Howard
April 26th, 2006, 06:04 PM
The VCL-HG0737Y is back at Amazon.com but at $189.99... Looks like Amazon's prices/availibility is fluctuating a LOT, so one more reason to go through B & H...

Adam La Prade
April 26th, 2006, 10:46 PM
The VCL-HG0737Y is back at Amazon.com but at $189.99... Looks like Amazon's prices/availibility is fluctuating a LOT, so one more reason to go through B & H...

True, but B&H never has them in stock, and when they do they last for a day...tops.

Just another update, Amazon has them at $139.99 right now with 3 left. This site changes it's mind quicker then my girlfriend.

Alex Thames
April 26th, 2006, 11:15 PM
Amazon used to have them for $99. Now, the cheapest I can find is $129 from another site. I got mine from Amazon at $139.

Adam La Prade
May 2nd, 2006, 12:17 PM
This puppy's back in stock at B&H! Hurry! They last like a day or so before they're POOF - gone!

Dennis Kane
May 3rd, 2006, 03:26 PM
I thought Adam's observation was curious as well. If you go to a different web page Sony has you will get what I believe is the correct part number; the y version.
http://bssc.sel.sony.com/BroadcastandBusiness/minisites/HDV/HVR-A1_accessories.shtml

Does anyone know the exact difference between the x and y versions other than size ? Also how do these lenes compare to those of Kenko ?
Thanks
DKane

Alex Thames
May 3rd, 2006, 04:14 PM
Apparently Raynox is better than these Sony lens according to one poster here.

Stu Holmes
May 3rd, 2006, 06:14 PM
Here we go...

X lens was released before the Y lens.
X lens weighs about 190grams, Y lens about 320grams.
Y lens is physically (obviously) quite a lot bigger than the X lens.
Y lens has a slightly flatter front element than the X lens.
Y lens has a larger diameter front element.
Y lens is black, X lens is silver.
Both are designated "HG"= Hi-Grade in Sony-speak.
Both have (obviously) 37mm rear-filter thread, so same size rear-element.
Neither has a front-filter thread.
Y lens is usually more expensive than the X lens.
X lens is usually about USD99 at B&H, and Y lens is usually about USD149.
(right now - that´s exactly what their prices are at B&H, X lens reported as being in stock, Y lens reported as being out of stock).

Both people who have bought the X lens and people who´ve bought the Y lens almost unanimously report much satisfaction with their lens.

There exist, not on this site but another site, a lens test of the two lenses and it shows no discernible difference between the two lenses performance. there *may* be a difference, but even blowing up shots on a resolution chart has shown no *apparent* difference. Therefore i think it´s safe to say that on full-frame moving video it´ll be very very tough to tell the difference.

Summary : the lenses aren´t just aesthetically different, they are a slightly different design, but i´ve never heard of anyone being able to report noticing any real-world video OR static-shot on a res-chart difference in the performance.

- Both are very good.

Floris van Eck
May 3rd, 2006, 06:16 PM
I ordered mine today from B&H and already got a shipping confirmation. The Y version. It is in stock again at B&H.

Alex Thames
May 3rd, 2006, 06:22 PM
Actually, the Y lens has 3 groups, 4 elements - coming straight from Sony. And the Y lens is 320g without the lens cap - also straight from the Sony packaging labelling.

Stu Holmes
May 3rd, 2006, 06:38 PM
Actually, the Y lens has 3 groups, 4 elements - coming straight from Sony. And the Y lens is 320g without the lens cap - also straight from the Sony packaging labelling.Weight: you´re right i was thinking of the tele Sony lens 2037. Y is 320gms, X is 190gms. I´ll edit my post.
Also don´t trust Sony´s web site too much - it´s RIDDLED with errors.

For example see this i just found:
http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/en/-/USD/SY_DisplayProductInformation-Start?CategoryName=acc_DIAccessories_DILenses_CamLenses&ProductSKU=VCLHG0737Y&TabName=specs&var2=

On the SAME PAGE, we have one statement that the lens is "3 groups, 4 elements" and then lower down on the left of this same page it says "4 groups, 6 elements". Sony.com is full of theser sort of careless inaccuracies.

Alex Thames
May 3rd, 2006, 07:06 PM
Well, it wasn't the site I was looking at, but the original packaging for the Y lens.

J. Stephen McDonald
May 3rd, 2006, 11:47 PM
Well, it wasn't the site I was looking at, but the original packaging for the Y lens.

On Sony's website, the VCL-HG2037Y is specifically designated as being of HD quality. The "X" model does not have this designation in its description.

Floris van Eck
May 5th, 2006, 01:50 PM
I got the VCL-HG2037Y today and I must say I love it. It is really a big difference with the wide-angle lens on and off. Furthermore, it nicely balances the camera with the QM-71D battery on.

What I would like to ask, is if there are any limitations? I read something about the autofocus and infinity in the manual. Furthermore, does it cost me any stops of light if I have it on or off? Any other bottlenecks maybe...?

Thanks in advance for your great advice.

Alex Thames
May 5th, 2006, 03:08 PM
I hear it has slight red/green color aberrations at the widest angle on the sides, but using the lens myself, I don't really see it. But then again, I'm not very good at noticing these sorts of details.

Mikko Lopponen
May 6th, 2006, 05:56 AM
I hear it has slight red/green color aberrations at the widest angle on the sides, but using the lens myself, I don't really see it.

I was looking at those Raynox pics (hd7000pro) and they showed some color aberrations at the sides. I haven't really been able to compare to the sony's so I don't know which ones to buy.

Stu Holmes
May 6th, 2006, 08:59 AM
What I would like to ask, is if there are any limitations? I read something about the autofocus and infinity in the manual. Furthermore, does it cost me any stops of light if I have it on or off? Any other bottlenecks maybe...?Hi - I don't *think* there's any loss of light with that lens, or certainly nothing substantial at all. You could tell easily by simply doing this:
- put camera on a tripod (or maybe if you haven't a tripod, put it on edge of a table. Switch exposure to MANUAL (fixed).
Take 10secs video with Y lens on, then stop recording, remove Y lens while keeping camera in exactly same place. Record another 10secs or so.
Replay this 10+10 secs of video on a TV. If there's any light loss then the second 10seconds (with Y lens off) will be slightly brighter than with it on.

Personally i don't think it'll be appreciable, but still interesting to see.

Chris Youell
May 19th, 2006, 10:33 AM
VCLHG0737Y back at Amazon for $99 just ordered it.

*Edit* Well I'm glad I ordered it when I did. I now just jumped back up to $159.99